We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

West road trip + RV rent for non-u.s. citizens

Beirut, Lebanon
6 posts
West road trip + RV rent for non-u.s. citizens

hello,

i am planning for a trip in the american west and i would like to ask a few questions:

please refer to this google map route so that my questions are clearer for your. http://goo.gl/maps/9JpqW

1 - what is your first impression on this route? assuming that ill be spending 2-3 nights in L.A. and one night in Las Vegas. the Monument Valley is a must in the road trip.

2 - Should I reach destination (B) (death valley) to experience it or going straight from L.A. to las vegas will put me in the similar desert mood?

3 - after i reach the monument valley. where is the closest place to take the airport to San Fransisco for example? (is it just salt lake city, vegas, and phoenix?). because i dont want to drive the road back again to the coast.

4- RV: it seems that theres a regular limit of 500 miles that i'm allowed to drive and i should pay more if i exceed this mileage. Is this true? and if yes, and assuming that google maps calculated to route to be around 800 miles for now. should i pay like 100$ for the extra 300 miles?

5- what about gas? how much should i pay for the 800 miles? if it's the small RV?

6- should i get an international driving license to be able to drive and rent the RV? i'm Lebanese.

thank you for your help!

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
6,693 posts
83 reviews
1. Re: West road trip + RV rent for non-u.s. citizens

Fly direct to Las Vegas ...Driving a "loop" tour and returning the vehicle, to the agency... Rent a standard small sedan... And plan on using roadside lodging... Unless your license is printed in script it should serve ... You WILL, need a Proper paper map to plan & a credit card to rent vehicles ... carracar

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,892 posts
1,048 reviews
2. Re: West road trip + RV rent for non-u.s. citizens

If you click on the blue link below, you will find a Traveler Article about renting motorhomes. At the bottom of that, there are additional bold blue links that will take you to other articles with more information:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g28926-c187230/Califo…

I see some problems with renting an RV - where do you intend to leave it? Read the articles and it will help answer your questions about how many miles are included in a rental.

If your regular Drivers License is in English, you don't need an International Driver Permit. If it is not in English, you should get one to rent any vehicle in the USA. It may not be a *requirement* but it is a good idea.

When are you planning to visit?

Edited: 18 September 2013, 23:42
Beirut, Lebanon
6 posts
3. Re: West road trip + RV rent for non-u.s. citizens

Thank you for your replies and thank you about the driving license information, and the links.

now 2 new questions:

- carracar, ok then, if it's a loop starting and ending in las vegas. what would be the order of my stops? and should i do the the inland road trip by car/rv and then take an airplane to los angeles (i wanna spend like 3 days there)?

- comparing car vs. RV : a car is cheaper and saves gas, but when you have an RV you dont need to pay for a hotel room. what would be the best thing to do in your opinion?

- can i do the grand canyon, monument valley and 2 nights in las vegas in 5 days? or is it very fast? whats important for me is the road trip and the monument valley. and im not into "touristic" amusement. just a peaceful road trip with a couple of las vegas nights.

i'm planning to travel maybe next september, so that it would be summer weather but not the extremly hot summer.

Beirut, Lebanon
6 posts
4. Re: West road trip + RV rent for non-u.s. citizens

ok i also found out that the rental cost for a compact or standard car is for about 20/25$ per day, which is alot less than the RV rent cost. also, it will save gas money i think more than 3 times, because RV gas for a 1200 miles trip will cost about 800$ for the RV.

so i guess a compact car and renting a motel here and there would be better than the RV rent/gas/extra mileage cost.

Beirut, Lebanon
6 posts
5. Re: West road trip + RV rent for non-u.s. citizens

so now i need to know how often should i stop in my road trip and stay in a motel and what are the right places to stop by? is there any cheap place at monument valley?

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
6,693 posts
83 reviews
6. Re: West road trip + RV rent for non-u.s. citizens

So NOW, is the time to purchase a"road trip" travel guide to the US and plan the trip with the use of a map !!! enjoy ... carracar

7. Re: West road trip + RV rent for non-u.s. citizens

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 19 September 2013, 16:05
Kópavogur
Level Contributor
35 posts
5 reviews
8. Re: West road trip + RV rent for non-u.s. citizens

I am planning a road trip that goes in a loop from SF. It has most of your locations, maybe you could get some ideas from that. But I am not the expert and this trip was created with help from this forum :-)

1. Friday: Arrive in SF

2. Saturday: SF – Yosemite

3. Sunday: Yosemite

4. Monday: Yosemite – Lone Pine

5. Tuesday: Lone Pine – Las Vegas (via Death Valley)

6. Wednesday: Las Vegas

7. Thursday: Las Vegas – Zion

8. Friday: Zion NP

9. Saturday: Zion NP – Bryce Canyon NP

10. Sunday: Bryce NP – Page

11. Monday: Page

12. Tuesday: Page – GCNP

13. Wednesday: GCNP – Needles

14. Thursday: Needles – LA

15. Friday: LA

16. Saturday: LA

17. Sunday: LA

18. Monday: LA – Pismo Beach

19. Tuesday: Pismo Beach

20. Wednesday: Pismo Beach - Santa Cruz

21. Thursday: Santa Cruz

22. Friday: Santa Cruz

23. Saturday: Santa Cruz – SF

24. Sunday: SF

25. Monday: SF

26. Tuesday: SF - Home

Edited: 19 September 2013, 14:08
LA
Level Contributor
9,935 posts
1 review
9. Re: West road trip + RV rent for non-u.s. citizens

moxyb- You have received three replies with information so far on this thread. A travel guidebook will provide vastly more information than a group of posters can provide. When you have reviewed a travel guide and maps, you are able to ask more specific questions and get answers that will be more useful.

They will also be helpful when you are traveling and do not have internet access.

LA
Level Contributor
9,935 posts
1 review
10. Re: West road trip + RV rent for non-u.s. citizens

Who said this forum was useless?

Edited: 19 September 2013, 14:14