We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road trip Switzerland - Germany -Czech Republic - Austria

Geneva, Switzerland
Level Contributor
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Road trip Switzerland - Germany -Czech Republic - Austria

I am planning the ultimate road trip with my family; we are starting and ending our trip in Geneva, Switzerland then we go to Germany to Czech Republic to Austria and back. All of this in 12 days starting Next Weeend! (Sept 28)

The cities involve are as follows:

Geneva- Bern - Stein am Rhein- Fussen- Hohenschwangau- Munich- Ingolstandt-Nuremberg- Plzen- Praga- Cesky Krumlov – Vienna- Freilassing (opcional)- Salzburg- lucerne-Geneva

I know that for Switzerland I need a Vignette to use the motorway, and I have been looking in other forums and I will need the same for other countries that we are visiting, do you know if I can buy this in advance or have any idea of the cost? Or can I just buy it on the border?

I will appreciate all your help, if you have any comments or things that you think I should be aware off, I have lost of hope for this trip and I want to give my parents and my brother the adventure of their lifes! Haha

I will keep you posted regarding cost and places to visit once I come back, in the meantime if you want to know I have book and pay the hotels to a total cost of 1,900 francs for 4 adults, the most expensive hotel is in Munich and it is only because of the Oktoberfest.

Wish us luck!

Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road trip Switzerland - Germany -Czech Republic - Austria

Hi,

Austria requires a toll vignette as well, and you can buy a vignette that's valid for 10 days for 8.30 € (8.50 € in 2014) and most gas stations near the border. Here's the website (scroll down the page to read the English version):

http://www.asfinag.at/en/maut/vignette

I'm pretty sure the Czech Republic also requires a vignette/tolls, but I've not been there yet.

I see you are from Geneva. Will you be driving your own car? If you're hiring a car, you may want to check with the rental agency, as some will not permit some models of their cars to enter the Czech Republic.

Zed

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
19,775 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road trip Switzerland - Germany -Czech Republic - Austria

Hi

Zed is correct, you need vignettes for Switzerland, Austria and Czech Republic. All can be bought just before you cross the border in gas stations and convenience stores, and probably also in advance from website.

I too am a bit confused as your screen details suggest you're based in Geneva yet you talk about renting a car and are seemingly hazy about needs for Switzerland. As your budget is in CHF I'm unable to easily see how realistic it is, but yes, Munich during Oktoberfest will always be expensive. It will also be crazy crowded at that time everywhere.

You have a very packed itinerary. Yes, you can drive your route in 12 days as distances aren't huge, but you really won't see much of everywhere at all as with only 1 night per destination and driving to do each day, you will have to keep to your schedule. Most folk usually want about 3 nights to get 2 full days to explore Vienna, Prague and Munich, all of which are large cities with congested traffic and expensive parking, for example.

BTW, you must tell the rental companies all the countries you will visit to ensure you have the correct insurance and paperwork.

SWT

Edited: 21 September 2013, 09:20
Geneva, Switzerland
Level Contributor
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Road trip Switzerland - Germany -Czech Republic - Austria

Many thanks Zed and Sussexworldtraveller for all the information,

Yes I am base in Geneva, I am new here, I bought my own car a couple of weeks ago and this will be my first trip.

Because I just got the car I am learning about specific regulations of the country and that is why I am asking questions (I Have not been in the motorways in Switzerland just yet).

I know we will not have a lot of time to explore in deep all of the cities but my family is coming from South America and they do not have the opportunity to travel around Europe very often so I want to show them as much as possible in this short period of time! =)

Regarding the budget, that is the price for the hotels, I think I have done good for 4 people and 12 days but I am still missing petrol, tolls and food and of course all the sight seen… I will update later on just in case anybody is planning a trip like mine.

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
19,775 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road trip Switzerland - Germany -Czech Republic - Austria

I understand that with visitors from so far away, everybody wants to try and see everything. Also, coming from South America, Europe can look quite small on a map, but it's a very developed are with lots of communities close together, big and small, which is what may be very different from home.

You will get a very brief taste of everywhere, and will spend more of you time driving and parking, but as long as you understand that, do what you can. Just be very careful of traffic, local regulations for one way streets and parking - difficult with all the foreign languages, perhaps. Prague is a big challenge, perhaps ask on that forum about driving and parking, and what you can realistically see in a few hours.

Switzerland will likely be the most expensive place overall, except the hotel in Munich, for your budget.

Buena suerte!

SWT

Edited: 23 September 2013, 09:57
5. Re: Road trip Switzerland - Germany -Czech Republic - Austria

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 September 2014, 06:22