We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving Boston - Chicago - where to stop?

USA
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Topic
Driving Boston - Chicago - where to stop?

I am moving out of boston to chicago, and will be driving a large rig and trailer.

I have 3 days to make the distance, and plan to stop twice along the route.

Where should i stop?

Any decent motels along 500-600 range out of boston, that will handle a large rig?

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
6,375 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving Boston - Chicago - where to stop?

You have a couple of route choices: I-90 & the Thruway, or I-84 through Connecticut to I-80. I-90 would probably be more comfortable, but the truck and trailer will cost you quite a bit in tolls.

For I-90, ~500 miles puts you in Buffalo. There are a few decent hotels at the Ridge Road exit. More on the east side, but I would want to get through part of Buffalo to start the morning in less traffic. There are quite a few hotels by the airport though, which would be the Route 78 exit, then east on Route 33. It's a decent area. There are some good restaurants around (fried bologna, Texas hots and beef on weck - all the Buffalo specialties).

For I-80, ~500 miles puts you in Clarion, which is a little college town. Because of the college though, you'll have to check your dates to make sure there's nothing going on. Nothing worse than rolling into a town and finding no rooms. DuBois is a few miles east of that, and there are some decent hotels there as well.

On the second day, ~500 miles would be South Bend. Again though, it's a college town (a much larger one), so you'll need to check to make sure nothing is going on, like a home football game, to fill the hotels. After South Bend though, it's a relatively easy drive into Chicago. Remember that you gain an hour just west of there, so you'll need to time it well to miss that awful rush hour that the NW Indiana freeways get.

Hope that helps.

Edited: 21 September 2013, 19:24
2. Re: Driving Boston - Chicago - where to stop?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 September 2014, 05:17