We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road Trip- Denver to Grand Tetons and Yellowstone

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
28,462 posts
419 reviews
Save Topic
Road Trip- Denver to Grand Tetons and Yellowstone

Our original plans were to fly into Denver and head to Colorado Springs and tour Pikes Peak and the Garden of the Gods then head to Estes Park and do Trail Ridge Drive thru the Rocky Mts. NP. We were then going to head to the Grand Tetons and Yellowstone National Park. We had gotten reservations at the Old Faithful Inn many months ago and were excited to stay in the park for the first time.

We arrived in Denver to rainy and stormy weather. After doing a quick check of the road conditions we learned that Hwy 24 to Pikes Peak was closed due to flooding and that Hwy 34 to Estes Park was also closed due to flooding. To make matters worse we learned that the major interstate north (I 25) was closed too. We decided to cancel our original reservations in Colorado Springs and Estes Park and do a reworking or our plans.

Since I 25 was still closed we headed east out of Denver and followed many of the large trucks up Colorado Hwy 71. This was a much longer route than going up the interstate but we decided it was our best way to go north into Wyoming. We made our way thru the edge of Nebraska at Kimball and hit I 80 west. We spent the night in Laramie and encountered another stormy night.

The next morning the weather was still stormy but decided to drive thru the Medicine Bow National Forest and the Snowy Range Scenic Highway. The visibility was not good but it was a nice drive. We made our way to Rawlins and headed to Lander for the night. US Hwy 287 had a lot of road construction and with all the rain it was a terrible mess. We stopped by Independence Rock but with all the heavy rain the roads were a mess and visibility was poor. We finally arrived in Lander. Lander was a great little western town. We really enjoyed our stay there and the hamburgers at the Gannett Grill were some of the best we had ever had.

The next part of our trip was spent touring Jackson Hole and the Grand Tetons.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g143029-i1019-k687…

After three days in Jackson Hole we headed to Yellowstone National Park for two days.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60999-i481-k68730…

We left Yellowstone and headed thru Jackson Hole, Pindedale and on to spend the night in Rock Springs. We had never driven this route before and parts of the drive were very scenic.

The next day we drove I 80/I 25 from Rock Springs back to the Denver airport. We were very glad to see the interstate was open. Many of the roads just off I 25 were still closed from all the flooding. We stayed at our favorite Denver airport hotel- The Country Inn and Suites. We packed all our souvenirs in preparation for our flight home the next morning.

If we could predict the weather and had known that we would not be able to do the CO part of our trip we would have changed our flight and flown into Salt Lake City.

We had a great trip. We saw beautiful scenery, had some good food, took loads of pictures and drove almost 2,000 miles.

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road Trip- Denver to Grand Tetons and Yellowstone

A great lesson to all for the need to be flexible on road trips in case of bad weather! Glad it all worked out.

Happy you got to stay at OF Inn for your 1st time!

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
28,462 posts
419 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road Trip- Denver to Grand Tetons and Yellowstone

Yes we got to stay at OF. Posted a separate trip report for Yellowstone and Grand Tetons.

Netherlands
Level Contributor
123 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road Trip- Denver to Grand Tetons and Yellowstone

The Gannet Grill hamburgers are very good indeed, as are the beers :-). Nice to read you enjoyed them too.

4. Re: Road Trip- Denver to Grand Tetons and Yellowstone

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 September 2014, 06:18