We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas markets and snow activities in Europe

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,803 posts
258 reviews
Save Topic
Christmas markets and snow activities in Europe

This isn't strictly a road trip question, but I know this forum is the best option when you don't know what country you want to visit!

I've been asked for some advice by my Australian cousins, they are returning to Ireland for Christmas and want to spend a few days on the continent. Their main interests are seeing a Christmas market and introducing their kids to snow for the first time! The kids are ten year old twins and a five year old, so they would be thinking sledding/snowmen rather than skiing or snowboarding.

I know guaranteed snow can be hard to find in December, my first thought was Munich with possible day trips to the Alps and Salzburg. How does that sound? Is there somewhere within a couple of hours drive that they could partake in snow activities?

Or any other suggestions that would combine markets and snow?

Thanks in advance.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas markets and snow activities in Europe

You've answered your own question. Great advice. I'd fly Munich and visit the northern alps and Salzburg.

2. Re: Christmas markets and snow activities in Europe

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2013, 13:35
Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,803 posts
258 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas markets and snow activities in Europe

Thanks Tet! Good to know I’m on the right track! I’ll pop over to the Munich forum and put a few more detailed questions.

Any other suggestions that might fit the bill? Doesn’t have to be Germany!

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
23,640 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Christmas markets and snow activities in Europe

I would probably also put Austria top of my list - as for travellers from afar, it has the best winter atmosphere in both cities and ski resorts without completely breaking the bank. However, you need to check the opening dates of the ski season in the resorts, as Austrian resorts often start a week after French and Swiss ski resorts as they're often lower. Just go into any travel agent and get a ski brochure to see the dates ski trips start on.

Germany probably has more actual Christmas markets, but it has fewer ski resorts and thus accommodation there can be expensive.

Do be aware many ski areas, especially leading up to Christmas have minimum stays than can be 5 days or longer, even if you book privately.

Alternatives, but perhaps not cheap are Norway and Sweden, but I've never visited those countries (Oslo excepted) at that time of year to know what's actually on offer.

If you put Christmas Markets into the trip advisor search feature, you will pull up a ton of stuff, actually, because it's a popular reason for folk to travel to many parts of Europe. My favourite Christmas market is actually in Nuremburg, Germany, but Prague is popular (but snow much less likely). I have tobogganned down Petrin Hill in the middle of Prague the week after Christmas however!

SWT

5. Re: Christmas markets and snow activities in Europe

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2014, 06:19