We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shutdown of U.S. parks, museums, forests, recreation areas

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Shutdown of U.S. parks, museums, forests, recreation areas

ibtimes.com/government-shutdown-2013-impact-…

For the next several weeks, the status of these attractions will be uncertain until Congress resolves both budget and debt limit issues. It's possible even that federal attractions will reopen for many days after budget issues are resolved, just to be shut again later this month over a failure to reach an agreement on the federal debt limit.

Wednesbury, UK
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
13,500 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Shutdown of U.S. parks, museums, forests, recreation areas

Hi TE.

Yes, it could put a spanner in the works for anyone currently taking or shortly setting out on a Fall trip.

I know the DE meet up in Utah is just about now and that usually includes a number of a Federal BLM sites etc.

Not to mention the rest of the US and of course the unfortunate Federal Emplyees themselves who may have a lot more than just some vacation disruption to consider if it is not resolved quickly.

Edited: 01 October 2013, 15:47
Kent
Level Contributor
27 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shutdown of U.S. parks, museums, forests, recreation areas

We head out of the UK next Weds for a Road Trip from LA - LA and had arranged to stay in both Grand Canyon and Yosemite NPs. I've emailed our travel agent today for advice if this situation doesn't get sorted quickly.

N&A

Edited: 01 October 2013, 16:00
Wednesbury, UK
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
13,500 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Shutdown of U.S. parks, museums, forests, recreation areas

Hi Neil and Angela.

Sorry to hear your trip may be disrupted by this issue if it continues. As a result of the shutdown, the NPS website is no longer, although there is info on some of the TA forums like this for GCNP.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g143028-i157-k68…

Edited: 01 October 2013, 16:19
Wednesbury, UK
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
13,500 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Shutdown of U.S. parks, museums, forests, recreation areas

Should have read 'no longer working.'

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
19,451 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shutdown of U.S. parks, museums, forests, recreation areas

Thanks for starting this valuable topic, TE.

I had been scouting around for a useful website with some factual data, but as all the govt websites are closed or inactive, I wasn't sure where to look for hard info.

I'm not at all sure how folk stand who have confirmed lodging within the parks where the lodging operators are privately owned such as stuff within Yosemite or where those with reservations with direct concessionaires such as Xanterra stand. Also, in the case of the GC, if you are say on a rafting trip with a private company but with reservations at Phantom Ranch, what you do is unclear.

Some wag posted on the LV forum that it was a great time for all those operating facilities and services at all the Grand Canyon West rip off attractions.

Very sorry indeed for the employment situation of federal employees, forced to take unpaid leave from relatively poorly paid jobs.

SWT

Kent
Level Contributor
27 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shutdown of U.S. parks, museums, forests, recreation areas

As this is our first trip to the West Coast we're a bit gutted at the prospect of not seeing Yosemite and GC. I'm hoping someone will come to their senses in Washington and get a resolution in the next week - although I understand it took 3 weeks last time this happened.

Our planned itinerary is below. As a contingency plan, would anyone have any kind suggestions as to where we could visit/stay instead for the GC and Yosemitie sections whilst still sticking to the rest of the route (all our accom' is booked you see). I understand perhaps Sedona?

Day 1 - London > LA (pick up car) > Anaheim

Day 2 - Anaheim (Disney) > Palm Springs

Day 3 - Palm Springs > Grand Canyon

Day 4 - Grand Canyon

Day 5 - Grand Canyon > Las Vegas

Day 6 - Las Vegas

Day 7 - Las Vegas > Lone Pine (Following the route suggested in the TP article)

Day 8 - Lone Pine > Yosemite Valley

Day 9 - Yosemite Valley

Day 10 - Yosemite Valley > San Francisco

Day 11 - San Francisco

Day 12 - San Francisco > Monterey

Day 13 - Monterey > Cambria

Day 14 - Cambria > LA

Day 15 - LA / Late flight Back to London

N&A

Edited: 01 October 2013, 16:40
Wednesbury, UK
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
13,500 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Shutdown of U.S. parks, museums, forests, recreation areas

Hi SWT.

Post # 4 on this from the Yellowstone forum suggests in park lodging is closed to new check ins, but not sure if that would apply everywhere. The other question I suppose is what is the status of national or state roads through the parks, Tioga Road for instance?

Neil and Angela.

I think locating State run attractions would be a good idea, so yes Sedona makes a good alternative option for GCNP, as would the the NA locations around Page like Antelope Canyon and Monument Valley etc.

Yosemite? Maybe Tahoe, especially if Tioga Road is closed by the shutdown, although again you may have to route round Death Valley if access through there is not available.

Wednesbury, UK
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
13,500 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Shutdown of U.S. parks, museums, forests, recreation areas

Hi again.

It looks like through routes will remain open according to this from the CA forums.

doi.gov/shutdown/fy2014/upload/NPS-FAQ.pdf

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Shutdown of U.S. parks, museums, forests, recreation areas

Neil, post on the California and Arizona destination forums and ask for recommendations for state parks, such as the IMO excellent Mt. Jacinto State Park (Palm Springs Aerial Tramway) in Palm Springs.

What a pain, but you still could have a very good time. I think the political uproar may shorten this mess well before you get here, but that's just a wishful guess on my part. There are (tens or hundreds of?) thousands of Americans, mostly seniors (who have high voting rates) as schools are in session, who also are having their vacation plans disrupted.

Also, check out National Natural Landmarks (if the NPS website is closed, search for NNLs for each state and you'll likely get Wikipedia articles) in the states you're visiting. These often are not owned by the federal government. Most are open to the public, even if they are listed as under "private ownership," often nature conservancies.

Consider visiting San Diego on this trip if the national parks still are closed. Check out Sedona, where there are several state parks. Perhaps e-mail the Sedona visitors bureau and ask what you still can do there. Some of the attractions in Page and Monument Valley are on the Navajo Reservation and I would imagine still are open. The Navajo pedestrian bridge surely still is open.

Good luck!

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Shutdown of U.S. parks, museums, forests, recreation areas

Valiant, I wonder if the Feds can actually shut everything up, especially BLM lands given public access issues. Fortunately, the Utah Meet-up participants truly are experts for those areas. If there's a way to get to what they want to see, they likely will know it.

The meet-up is such a great event, planned months ahead, I'm hoping their enjoyment isn't soured by events inside the Beltway.