We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Atlanta, Nashville, Smoky Mountains and where?

UK
Level Contributor
33 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Atlanta, Nashville, Smoky Mountains and where?

My husband and I are doing a road trip in the Deep South next April. We have been to Nashville and the Smokies before but want to explore the area more. So far, we are spending 3 nights in Atlanta, 3 nights in Nashville and 8 nights in Gatlinburg but we have 2 nights left before we need to be back into Atlanta for our flight home. Does anyone have any suggestions of where else we can go? We don't want to be too far away from Atlanta for our flight home.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
31,532 posts
445 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Atlanta, Nashville, Smoky Mountains and where?

I would cut your time in Nashville by a day and Gatlinburg by a day or two since you've been before then from Gatlinburg head over to Charleston, SC for 2 days and drive 2 hours and spend 2 days in Savannah. Then you are only 4 hours from the Atlanta airport.

Both Charleston and Savannah are very historic, lovely southern towns. The flowers will be in bloom in the spring and you will see historic plantations, Civil War sites and have a chance to sample some excellent food.

UK
Level Contributor
33 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Atlanta, Nashville, Smoky Mountains and where?

PeachBelle: thanks for the reply. Yeah, I had thought about Savannah and Charleston but hubby doesn't want to drive that far this time. We've done lots of road trips around the states and covered quite a few miles, hubby tells me that he wants a more relaxing holiday this time!

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
31,532 posts
445 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Atlanta, Nashville, Smoky Mountains and where?

You can always come down thru Asheville, NC and see the Biltmore House then head to Franklin, NC- beautiful waterfalls in the area then head toward Highlands, NC and on to Dillard, GA then south to Atlanta.

Another place would be to spend a night in Chattanooga and see the town then head down I 75 and visit Chickamauga National Civil War battlefield.

Memphis is about 3 hours from Nashville and has Graceland, Beale Street for jazz and blues, Civil Rights museum and Gibson guitar. You could then make your way back to Atlanta thru Tupelo, MS, and Birmingham, AL.

Let me know your thoughts- travel throughout the area frequently.

Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
8,857 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Atlanta, Nashville, Smoky Mountains and where?

I would stay somewhere besides Gatlinburg if you can unless you like the theme park atmosphere. I divided my time between Townsend, TN and Bryson City, NC.

If you haven't done the Blue Ridge Parkway, the NC section above the Smokies is beautiful with a lot of highlights. Asheville and Blowing Rock are lovely nearby towns and Mt. Mitchell, Grandfather Mtn., the Linville Gorge and Linville Falls are a few highlights.

The Cherohala Skyway south of the Smokies is a lovely drive and a hike in the nearby old growth Joyce Kilmer Memorial forest are also worthwhile.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
31,532 posts
445 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Atlanta, Nashville, Smoky Mountains and where?

I agree about Gatlinburg and especially Pigeon Forge. We do not stay there when visiting the Smokies. We always stay in Townsend, TN.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
4,760 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Atlanta, Nashville, Smoky Mountains and where?

Yeah Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge are hideous. Think of a carnival, that's been made into a town. I would try Bryson City, NC and go river rafting on the Nantahala or Chattanooga and ride the Ocoee.

7. Re: Atlanta, Nashville, Smoky Mountains and where?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2014, 06:39