We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

itinerary changes due to closures in yosemite advice needed

Fleet, United...
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Topic
itinerary changes due to closures in yosemite advice needed

Hello everyone

Was supposed to be heading to Yosemite on the 5th October for 2 nights making our way from San Fran to death valley.

The main reason we chose Yosemite was due to the amazing landscapes and mountain trails and lush wilderness.

Any suggestions on where we should try and get accommodation now? And what we should see?

Thanks

Wednesbury, UK
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
15,611 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: itinerary changes due to closures in yosemite advice needed

Hi.

Apparently, you can still drive through on Ca120 and Tioga Road, although trails and parking will be closed, so you could then stop in the eastern Sierras, June Lake, Lee Vining and visit Mono Lake, Bodie Ghost Town, or Bishop, or head to Tahoe through the other cross Sierras pass routes maybe, and visit the State Parks.

You'll be able to drive through DV also if its still in shutdown, but similar restrictions will apply.

Another OP posted this as CA State Park alternatives.

https:/…10152523441902814

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: itinerary changes due to closures in yosemite advice needed

Jaks,

Here's your itinerary:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28926-i29-k683779…

It seems you have to replace three nights.

Valiant's suggestions are good, but, IF you can get reservations at this late date, also consider heading south along the Pacific Coast Highway.

See the relevant sections of the trip report in post 5 in the trip report sticky at the top of this forum. Perhaps ask on the California forum what still will be open, but I would think Monterey Bay Aquarium, the Hearst Castle, San Simeon State Park, and Santa Barbara all would still would be available, and much more. You could get tri tip at the Firestone Grill in San Luis Obispo (use the search engine at the top of the forum for more detail). Visit the Adamson House (search for more information), Malibu Lagoon State (Surfrider) Beach, and the Getty Villa, a great attraction if Roman art is an interest.

http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=590

http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=25179

http://www.adamsonhouse.org/

…wikipedia.org/wiki/Malibu_Lagoon_State_Beach

You've been thrown a wicked curve, but good luck with it!

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,384 posts
1,083 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: itinerary changes due to closures in yosemite advice needed

Much of the public land within and around Redwood National Park is actually owned by the state of California and it is open for visitors.

All state highways and public roads in this area are open. This includes Highway 101, Highway 1, Avenue of the Giants, Newton P. Drury Scenic Parkway and Howland Hill Road.

State Parks in the area such as Jedediah Smith, Prairie Creek Redwoods and Patrick's Point will remain open.

This is a beautiful area with outstanding natural beauty, no crowds and lots of walking and hiking trails! A quick overview:

http://www.exploredelnorte.com/

shannontech.com/ParkVision/…Redwood.html

Fleet, United...
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: itinerary changes due to closures in yosemite advice needed

Thanks for the replies. It looks like we have plenty of options available. California appears to be such a beautiful state with so much to see and do.

It sucks to miss out on some of our main highlights. but I can only imagine how people who's livelihoods are at stake are feeling.

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: itinerary changes due to closures in yosemite advice needed

Jaks, I'm sorry that I didn't read the end of your itinerary. Many persons like to drive south on the Pacific Coast Highway to be on the side of the road closer to the coast.

I'll leave my post 2 up because maybe there's something of interest to you.

It's perhaps just me, but I would consider going both ways on the PCH rather than have the Mono Lake/Bodie, etc. experience if Death Valley wasn't the pay-off at the end of the trip. Perhaps save the eastern Sierras for a later trip that includes Yosemite and Death Valley. I just really enjoy the PCH communities and attractions. However, if you haven't spent much time in or near mountains, the eastern Sierras might still be very enjoyable.

Best of all, hopefully Congress will resolve the issue before it becomes an actual problem for you. I do wonder if Yosemite NP can be reopened immediately after a multi-day shutdown (food supplies, etc.).

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: itinerary changes due to closures in yosemite advice needed

Another possibility with extra time on the PCH is to detour to Simi Valley to see the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library and Museum. A big attraction there is Reagan's Air Force One.

Edited: 01 October 2013, 23:20
Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: itinerary changes due to closures in yosemite advice needed

If you have some time to kill in the San Francisco area, and if you like oddities, check out the Winchester Mystery House in San Jose.

Apple Valley...
Level Contributor
798 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: itinerary changes due to closures in yosemite advice needed

The Reagan Library & Museum is also closed due to the shutdown.

Wednesbury, UK
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
15,611 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: itinerary changes due to closures in yosemite advice needed

Reason I suggested sticking with the Eastern Sierras is I assume Vegas is fixed for night 7 and Big Sur features later in the plan.

The 120, 395 and 190 are all scenic drives even if the other locations are not availiable. If Vegas is fixed, I don't see Redwoods NP area as a viable alternative to stay in range with reasonable day drives over three night, although its possible either with single nights or two long days from say Eureka via Reno or Tahoe, with 2 nights in the Redwoods.

Edited: 02 October 2013, 07:24
Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: itinerary changes due to closures in yosemite advice needed

I wonder why the Reagan Library and Museum is closed. I always thought that Presidential museums were privately funded.