We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road Trip 2014 PDX Oregon to MT Rushmore

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
74 posts
Save Topic
Road Trip 2014 PDX Oregon to MT Rushmore

What are things to do and see?? I know for sure Yellowstone and Mt Rushmore.. But what in between? Probably thinking 10-14 days of travel time.. We will be staying at RV Parks/Campground so which ones are good along the way.. Also Washington is an option as well.

Any help with this would be amazing!!

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
6,399 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road Trip 2014 PDX Oregon to MT Rushmore

Do you own the RV ? What size ?? How many are traveling ??? Drive the I-84 & 11 to Walla Walla ... Then follow the scenic but slow 12 into Idaho to Montana...Hop on the I-90 to Bozeman for a "big box"store restock and fuel as things get more expensive as you near the Parks. Enter at West Yellowstone (having reserved a RV site within the Park)... after some time exit the park,to the 20, into Cody For a night... Drive then out to the I-90 (selecting a route your RV is happy with) & on to the Black Hills...Find yer own way home ... carracar

Wednesbury, UK
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
13,050 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Road Trip 2014 PDX Oregon to MT Rushmore

Hi.

Carracar has given you a good suggestion, but that is quite a big RV trip in 14days, 10 will not cut it IMO. I will assume its Summer so no weather or access issues.

A slightly different option might be, with less backtracking and stops there and back.

1 night on route from Portland to Grand Tetons, around Boise maybe.

2 nights in the Tetons.

1 night in Thermopolis.

3 nights in Black Hills.

1 night Cody.

4 nights Yellowstone.

1 night on route back as per Carracars route on I-90.

There are big drives in that by RV standards.

3. Re: Road Trip 2014 PDX Oregon to MT Rushmore

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 02 October 2013, 14:54
Edited: 02 October 2013, 14:54
N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
18,623 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road Trip 2014 PDX Oregon to MT Rushmore

I vote for Valiant's suggested itinerary.

I love US12 in Idaho, live nearby, drive it whenever I can, recommend it whenever I can BUT you may just need to head west on I90 (dropping down thru Eastern WA to pick up I84) to get back home after this long trip and save 12 for another less comprehensive trip. It is 2 lane, a little twisty, and 50 miles per hour from east of Kooskia Idaho up to Lolo Pass. There is a reason it is 50mph too! It is doable in an RV as it is a major truck route thru the area. If you were not trying to make it to SD I would definitely include US12 in your route.

Doubt you will have time to see much of WA if you want to get all the way to SD and back in 2 weeks.

Also recommend you play around with www.Googlemaps.com to check mileages for your daily drives. I do not believe their time suggestions will be accurate for travel in an RV, altho I am not an RVer.

Pam

5. Re: Road Trip 2014 PDX Oregon to MT Rushmore

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2014, 06:21