We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Western USA RV Roadtrip in November

British Columbia
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Western USA RV Roadtrip in November

The plan is to leave Victoria, BC on November 1st and return to Victoria on November 30th. We will be pulling a 27 foot lightweight travel trailer.

I am looking primarily for advice on the best route to take, especially with the idea of avoiding any snowy or icy road conditions, and with the travel trailer wind is also a concern. We also want to stick to paved roads only. Any other travel tips or advice on destinations would be appreciated.

Our thought is to enter the US at Port Angeles and head towards Reno, Las Vegas, Laughlin, Sedona, Scottsdale, Yuma and then to the Palm Springs area. We would return via Hwy 101 and back to Victoria through Port Angeles again.

Although we are hitting the gambling spots we are not really gamblers and are more interested in “seeing the sights”. We typically stay at RV sites that have full hookup. Is it possible to visit the Grand Canyon in November? We could do this without the trailer if necessary.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
23,602 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Western USA RV Roadtrip in November

Hi

Welcome to the Road Trips forum

I've no personal experience of towing a travel trailer, but your thoughts and plans seem sensible to me. Heading to the desert SW of the USA will likely have the best weather in November. Sticking in general to the coast for the drive to and from BC makes sense, again for better weather, and also fewer grades to ascend and descend.

However, a few comments: Which bit of highway 101 do you mean? Between LA/Santa Barbara (in general terms) the coast road is the highway 1 - scenic but slow, the 101 being inland. Thru NorCal and on towards Oregon, then the 101 is indeed the coastal option.

South Rim of the Grand Canyon should be open (the current federal shutdown permitting) in November, North Rim closes for the season at the end of October.

To help you choose RV parks with full hook up and nice pitches, this website has reviews of RV campsites, see:

http://www.rvparkreviews.com/

Each state has a decent website showing the state parks that you might want to consider visiting, especially if the national parks are still unavailable in November.

SWT

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,741 posts
1,098 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Western USA RV Roadtrip in November

I'm thinking that is a long way for just a month. But without looking it up I don't know how many miles. We've been RVing for many years and usually like to stay in a spot for more than one night. You can easily spend a week in Las Vegas and still not see all the interesting non-gambling attractions!

You also should allow for delays in case of snow or high winds - along the Oregon coast (Hwy 101) high winds are not unusual in winter as we've had three big blows already this fall :-(

Grand Canyon may have some snow in November. Ask on that forum and somebody should know the average temps that time of year. Trailer Village there has full hookups including cable TV so other than managing your water and sewer lines you should be comfortable. Check to see if the shuttle runs in Nov... hmmm, ask on the forum as the GC website is shut down.

==> We all hope the government will be back up and running by then, but if not, know that all State Parks are open but not National Parks. As the time gets closer, you can ask for further information about this!

Yes, which section of Hwy 101?

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
8,102 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Western USA RV Roadtrip in November

Drive the Five to Eugene... IF, there is no onshore storm with freezing levels below 5,000 Ft. turn on the 58/97 into K. Falls ... You should have good largely level roads into Reno, on the 139/395. Then the best bet South, to Vegas would be the 95... It,s the drive home, later in the season, that,s gonna be a crap shoot ... carracar

Edited: 05 October 2013, 03:47
British Columbia
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Western USA RV Roadtrip in November

Thank you for you answers. They are all helpful.

SWT - We will be using be using the 101/1 Coastal route just for the drive home. Thank you for the heads-up to plan around the LA/Santa Barbara switch. I appreciate the link to the RV reviews.

Half-Brit - Thank you for the tips on Las Vegas and the Grand Canyon. I will check out those forums for more info, especially Las Vegas where I was not expecting more than the gambling attractions.

Carracar - I appreciate the directions for the best route to Reno. We will just have to hope for the best for the return trip up the coast.

Once again, I appreciate the responses.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
43,741 posts
1,098 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Western USA RV Roadtrip in November

I've driven trucks and trailers on all the roads carracar sugests and yes those are good roads. There is a very pleasant little RV park in the teeny tiny town of Likely on Hwy 395. Here are reviews and photos of it:

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g32626-d1795276…

Here are links to some interesting things to do in LV:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g45963-s410/Las-Vegas…

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g45963-s403/Las-Vegas…

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g45963-c5253/Las-Vega…

--

In addition to the RV park reviews site SWT gave you above - which is very handy and I use it all the time - here are some other useful sites to find RV parks:

http://camp-california.com/

http://www.rv-clubs.us/rv_campgrounds.html

http://www.rvparkhunter.com/page2.asp

http://www.koa.com

goodsamclub.com/travel/campgroundsandrvparks/

woodalls.com/campground/…rv-campgrounds.aspx

KOAs tend to be quite pricey and do not have the best locations, as well as being older with narrower spaces, but they do all have full hookups and usually a small store and often a pool.

--

Here are the state transportation websites for the three western states. Arizona has one too but I don't have it on my list. They are useful to check as you travel along - in case of adverse weather or possibly mud slides on Calif Hwy 1.

California- http://www.dot.ca.gov/dist2/travelmap.htm (NE Calif, I-5)

http://www.dot.ca.gov/dist1/d1tmc/index.htm (NW Calif, Hwy 101)

Oregon- www.tripcheck.com

Washington- http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/ (Traveler Information)

Have a good trip :-)

Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
Level Contributor
9,063 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Western USA RV Roadtrip in November

carracar and half-Brit sound fine to me. In Arizona, depending on weather, you might check the area around Flagstaff, loaded with ruins, a small volcano (Sunset Crater) and the lively University of Northern Arizona. It's a university that attracts bright outdoors-oriented students who might otherwise go to more prestigious places.

If you go to Scottsdale, Tucson is within easy reach. The Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum is terrific, worth going just for the hummingbirds, and they can provide lots of ideas for further exploration. Of course I'm a biologist.

http://www.desertmuseum.org

Mission San Xavier del Bac is a living institution. I visited when a lot of stucco or whatever had been removed to expose adobe blocks for restoration. I wondered why I'd driven close by, several times without seeing it.

http://www.patronatosanxavier.org

BTW, my avatar is from Lincoln City, Oregon.

Edited: 06 October 2013, 03:26
British Columbia
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Western USA RV Roadtrip in November

Thank you half-Brit and BlueRusso for the further information and tips. It sounds like we won't be short of things to see.

We are now thinking that perhaps we should give Reno a pass and go directly to the Las Vegas area. Carracar suggested "Drive the Five to Eugene... IF, there is no onshore storm with freezing levels below 5,000 Ft. turn on the 58/97 into K. Falls ... You should have good largely level roads into Reno, on the 139/395." Once again considering we are pulling the twenty seven foot lightweight trailer is there a better route we should keep in mind for going directly to Vegas?

I am very much appreciating all the help I am getting here.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
43,741 posts
1,098 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Western USA RV Roadtrip in November

Hmmm, you could always just go straight south on I-5 to 99 to Bakersfield, over Tehachapi on Hwy 58 to I-15 to Las Vegas.

Hwy 58 does go up the mountain but it's a good road - I've hauled both horses and the 5th wheel on that highway. Not at the same time, LOL!

We've towed our previous 28 foot travel trailer on Hwy 139 (stayed at Eagle Lake) and our current 30' 5th wheel on Hwy 395 (stayed at Likely) and both are good roads.

Or, if you did decide to see Reno, instead of Hwy 395 (which does go over a couple of high passes south of Reno) , take Nevada Rte 95 through the desert. It would actually be 395 to NV 208 to NV 95A to NV Hwy 95. We drove that in late spring with pickup and travel trailer and did have some wind but the roads are all good. We swung out and took NV Hwy 93 through Rachel and visited the Little Ale'Inn which was rather fun ;-)

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Western USA RV Roadtrip in November

I'd scoot on down by the fastest route to get to southern California / Nevada / Arizona / Utah.

Being from BC, you can get to Oregon and Northern CA another time, preferably in summer or September!

British Columbia
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Western USA RV Roadtrip in November

Thank you again Half-brit for your help. We are taking it all into consideration.

I agree ainwa, That is beginning to seem like very sound advice.