We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheap car hire 3 weeks across US

adelaide
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Cheap car hire 3 weeks across US

I need to find some good companys with cheap car rentals for roadtrip in April for approx 3 weeks. traveling around us starting from LA ending in Dallas.

It will be for 2x adults and 2x small children

Wednesbury, UK
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
13,068 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Cheap car hire 3 weeks across US

Hi.

That rental with most of the majors is going to attract a one way drop fee. As for cheap, well that means many things to many people!

Take a look at www.usrentacar.co.uk who have a one way fee finder tool. My guess is National, at a fixed $ 250 plus tax will be the lowest one way via that broker, but its overall cost that counts. Also check out www.traveljigsaw.com.au but you may have to call them to get the one way costs.

Also, Europcar are reportedly not charging one way fees on their US rentals, get confirmation in writing and note they subcontract with Advantage in the US, who are not a top tier rental co. Another company that a fellow Ausdie has used recently, who do not charge one way fees are Adentures on Wheels, but they have limited coverage and usually rent older vehicles, so potential issues there.

Edited: 06 October 2013, 08:20
Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
18,833 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cheap car hire 3 weeks across US

Hi

Most car rental companies in the USA, whoever you used to book the car from, use relatively new cars and you pay for that privilege. However, it does seem that there are a few other companies out there, some being newcomers, who offer less new cars with lower reliability for lower prices. These include Adventures on Wheels, which does seem to have an Aussie connection, and the newcomer, Europcar - as already mentioned above.

You pays your money and takes your choice!

SWT

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cheap car hire 3 weeks across US

You get what you pay for. On a trip like yours I won't take chances and rent with one of the major companies.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,729 posts
1,024 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cheap car hire 3 weeks across US

If you were two somewhat flexible adults it might be worth trying a company that is cheaper with older cars, if the price difference was significant. With two small children though I think I'd just try to find the best deal I could from one of the major well known companies.

5. Re: Cheap car hire 3 weeks across US

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2014, 06:20