We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Most level driving route -- Philadelphia to Phoenix

Norristown, PA
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Most level driving route -- Philadelphia to Phoenix

We are towing a small car behind our van to deliver it to our son. Not wanting to burn out our transmission by climbing the Rockies, I'd like to take the most level route there. My current tendency is to go down to I-40 and then take it all the way out. Do any of you have any advice?

Thanks much,

Reed Merino

Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Most level driving route -- Philadelphia to Phoenix

Hi,

It depends on where you catch I-40. If you're talking of driving on the east side of the Appalachians all the way to NC, and then west, I wouldn't recommend that. I-40 through the Great Smoky Mountains is a bit of a challenge.

I'd probably recommend I-70 west to St. Louis; then I-44 to Oklahoma City; and then I-40 west.

Zed

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,074 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Most level driving route -- Philadelphia to Phoenix

The route zed1958 recommends is the most level. There are some steep sections along I40 in NC (as in you don't want to be towing there!) and into Tennessee. West of the Appalachians it's either rolling hills or flat. Much easier on the transmission.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
7,290 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Most level driving route -- Philadelphia to Phoenix

The I-40 to Santa Rosa NM. South on the 54 to Alamogordo... The 70 to Las Cruces & the I-10 on to Phoenix ... carracar

Norristown, PA
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Most level driving route -- Philadelphia to Phoenix

Thanks much. Reed

Norristown, PA
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Most level driving route -- Philadelphia to Phoenix

How do I find out the route that zed1958 recommends?

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
7,290 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Most level driving route -- Philadelphia to Phoenix

I'll suggest that road maps, have long been utilized for such purpose ... carracar

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
6,343 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Most level driving route -- Philadelphia to Phoenix

The route Zed's referring to is the first route that pops up in to Mapquest when you plug these two cities in: http://mapq.st/GKVyPC

If you are really desperate to avoid mountains though, then you should skip Albuquerque and Flagstaff. There are major elevation changes around both cities, and I-17 is very curvy. US 54 south from Santa Rosa, NM to US 70 will avoid both, but there is still a smaller mountain pass (almost zero chance of snow, since it's well into the desert) just east of Las Cruces. US 54 is pretty quick but definitely desolate. http://mapq.st/1bUkvna

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
14,807 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Most level driving route -- Philadelphia to Phoenix

or

since you said we I am assuming 2 people that can drive to make this suggestion:

when you encounter a steep section, unhitch the car and drive both vehicle for a while.

9. Re: Most level driving route -- Philadelphia to Phoenix

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2014, 05:18