We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning to drive from Orlando to San Francisco.

Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Topic
Planning to drive from Orlando to San Francisco.

My buddy and I are starting to plan an epic road trip together. At the moment - we are in the very early planning stages - we are thinking of driving from Orlando to San Francisco over a couple of weeks. At the moment, we are looking at taking the I-10 route - I've heard Texas is a boring as hell to drive but I want to make a visit while we're there so it's pretty much on the list!

So, really, I'm looking for some info. We are both into an awful lot of things so any ideas and suggestions that you could give about things to see along the way, that'd be great. I wouldn't want to drive miles and miles off the route but am willing to deviate to see some awesome things.

Baton Rouge and New Orleans are must sees.

I did a trip from San Francisco to San Diego a while back so we're all good from there but suggestions are also welcome!

Thanks!

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning to drive from Orlando to San Francisco.

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Yoru avatar doesnot say where you are coming from. Are you renting a car in Orlando and drop it off in San Francisco? What time of year are you coming? Texas boring as hell??? Consider visiting places like Austin, San Antonio, Hill Country, Big Bend, Davis Mountains etc. You'll be surpised how beautiful it all is. Can't compare Baton Rouge to San Antonio imo. If you take I10 you can divert to places like Carlsbad Caverns and White Sands NM in New Mexico. Fantastic places also. You can see Tucson and it attractions, Phoenix, Sedona, Grand Canyon and Las vegas and from las vegas you can visit Death Valley NP and Yosemite NP but it all depends on what route you will want to take.

Tet

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
6,817 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning to drive from Orlando to San Francisco.

The I-10 route through Texas is pretty boring. It's so long that it sort of wears on you, but the novelty of the landscape will keep you entertained for a bit. If you're headed through San Antonio, you can take US 90 west as a more scenic and interesting alternative. It goes through a few towns and is just more engaging. But Texas is difficult to avoid.

Very few reasons to stop in Baton Rouge. I have family there, and I even rarely go. If you're wanting to see a "cajun" city, then stop in Lafayette. The food, music and attractions are better there. And the traffic is horrendous in Baton Rouge.

If going soon (as in the winter), then you will want to stay south and probably go up the Pacific Coast Highway. In the summer, you want to jump north through Carlsbad to Albuquerque. The following is for the winter route.

If you're living in Florida, then you will probably not be interested in the sites and beaches along the way. So one long day to drive to NOLA, two nights there, one night elsewhere in Louisiana, two nights in Austin (great town, worth visiting), one night in San Antonio, one night after a long drive in El Paso, two nights in Tucson, two nights at the Grand Canyon, one night in San Luis Obispo, one night in Monterey.

Good luck in your planning.

3. Re: Planning to drive from Orlando to San Francisco.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2014, 05:17