We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road trip East to West Car Rental Questions

Level Contributor
5 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Road trip East to West Car Rental Questions

Hi guys,

I was just wondering if anyone would be able to advise me, as I have found myself rather perplexed. I'm from the UK, and the situation is this - my girlfriend and I are travelling from Boston to San Francisco between 17th March and 31st May - a total of 74 days. We are looking at Alamo to rent a car long term for this, as it is the cheapest option at £1,600 for the full two months in a mid size SUV plus the following :

Collision Damage Waiver (USA: No Excess)

Extended Liability Protection (EP) (USA/CA: up to $1 mil)

Customer Facility Charge $6.00 Per Day

Concession Recovery Fee 11.11%

Convention Ctr Surchg 10.00 Per Rental

Parking Surcharge .60 Per Rental

Vehicle Lic Recovery Fee 2.00 Per Day

Sales Tax

Unlimited Mileage

Now, my main concern is no mention whatsoever about one way fees. I have tried contacting Alamo, to no avail, but have seen a number of threads stating that for certain journeys/bookings/country of booking etc etc, they waive this fee? Surely it would have to be mentioned? Or am I just being naive...

And last but not least, if anyone has any experience/knowledge about a deposit, that'd be appreciated. Again, I have heard many people say they only swipe your credit card, with no money taken off, but was just wondering if anyone has any experience of this.

Thanks guys, appreciate your time.

Stu

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
4,634 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road trip East to West Car Rental Questions

Greetings smarch. I would continue trying to contact the company directly. Why are you having trouble contacting them? I've never dealt with a one way fee, because I've always returned rentals at the same location I initially rented but the rental drop fee should be mentioned. I suppose an unscrupulous person could have ways of hiding costs or glossing over them.

And companies will only let you rent with a credit card on file. If you don't have the line of credit to cover the cost, the transaction won't go through. I'm not sure about the deposit you're talking about. They don't hold a deposit for the entire value of the car though. It's like a hotel that will wait to see what additional charges you have incurred and then collect.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
61,897 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road trip East to West Car Rental Questions

Hi smarch

There is some good info for foreign visitors renting cars in the second Top Question on the right side of this page (full TripAdvisor website.)

One tip about your dates ~ be sure you make good plans for your lodging over the busy Memorial Day holiday weekend. In fact, you'll want reservations for all of your nights in California.

Level Contributor
5 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road trip East to West Car Rental Questions

Thank you for the heads up :)

Level Contributor
5 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road trip East to West Car Rental Questions

I'm just having a great deal of difficulty getting through to their UK line. Never have any luck with call centres!

Also I already have a credit card, I was just concerned I may not have enough credit if they were to do a hold on a long term rental. But then that makes sense what you say! I appreciate the help!

Wednesbury, UK
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
14,716 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Road trip East to West Car Rental Questions

Hi.

Is this direct through Alamo.co.uk, not via a broker? Tried to replicate it, airport pick ups etc, and yes its not showing a separate one way fee, but its total cost for an IFAR is over £1900 on my quote, so my guess is its in the rates. Maybe Alamo, like some others (Avis) have started doing this for foreign renters, so the costs really are fully inclusive.

If you choose pay on arrival it indicates a £500 one way charge and a total estimated cost of over £2000.

Alamo are currently offering free additional drivers, but you need to search the site to find the link, under USA car hire lower down!

As for CC pre-authorisation, usually its around $250 to $300 in my experience, but it maybe more with such a long rental? Remember, is a pre-authorisation not a charge. There used to be good info on the websites but most have now slimmed them down so much its hard to find.

Edited: 10 October 2013, 09:48
6. Re: Road trip East to West Car Rental Questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2014, 05:18