We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beware Dollar car rental

Mount Maunganui...
Level Contributor
1 post
66 reviews
Save Topic
Beware Dollar car rental

Has anyone else had problems with dollar car rental at LAX. waitng in line for over and hour and a half to be pressured into taking an upgrade and be billed and extra $330 NZD than you had originally been charged when booked on line?

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
21,464 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beware Dollar car rental

Well, it seems like only 223 others at the last count, or thereabouts!

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g32655-i61-k350359…

I will make no further comment!

SWT

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,081 posts
740 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beware Dollar car rental

Gosh. I rented cars from Dollar many times but I never had bad experiences with them...

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,118 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beware Dollar car rental

Apparently, the LAX location is well known for poor service, Nomadroaming, although I've never used them.

I've reads hundreds of posts all through TripAdvisor complaining about all of the major car rental companies and have to say that in probably at least 75% of the instances, the person *Did Not Read* the Terms & Conditions of the contract!

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
21,464 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beware Dollar car rental

You said it, h-B! Read those Ts & Cs!

(That said, we're recently back from South Korea where all the fine print for our contracts were only available in Korean! When we tried to ask, with communication difficulties, what they said, we were effectively told that they explained about clauses that on the face of it didn't seem too relevant. We did have the contract and Ts & Cs in English from the third party that I used to make the car rental bookings. They gave us a phone number to call which puts your through to a translation service provided by the Korean tourist organisation and recommended we call that in the event of an emergency! We were never expected to sign anything we didn't understand on the contract itself. So i guess I broke all my own rules!)

SWT

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
43,118 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beware Dollar car rental

LOL, in that instance I guess you didn't have much choice :-) Everything went all right with the car, though?

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
21,464 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beware Dollar car rental

Yes, we had no issues and knew that SK is an honest country. In fact renting cars there was just fine and worth it, but you need to be prepared. I scoured forums for complaints of car rentals in SK and found none, and interrogated the third party broker, emailing them a pile of Qs that they were forced to ask the local company the business was placed with for answers, so I did my due diligence that way,

Just booking a car on a third party website, printing out your receipt and turning up jet lagged at any rental depot (let alone Dollar at LAX!!!) is never to be recommended.

SWT

Wakefield, Rhode...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beware Dollar car rental

It happened to us at DC National. Not only did they not have the car we rented or anything similar, they had NO CARS. None. People were waiting outside for anything that came in and there was over an hour wait, in the rain and cold. I have been renting cars for 25 year and have never been so under served. When I called corporate (Amber and her "supervisor" Tony) they said there was nothing they could do for me. The DCA Dollar had overbooked and had no cars. Tony said he could "adjust' the rate for the days left but he could not verify that ANY car would be available the next day. They are awful. The worst.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
4,812 posts
361 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beware Dollar car rental

FYI~ I recently rented from Dollar Rent A Car in Orlando, Florida at McCoy International Airport, and other than the long wait in line, and the high pressure to take additional insurance packages at insane high prices...........,( which I declined! ) The rental was at a very low price and I was upgraded one car class at no charge, as they did not have a compact car ! Overall no problems!

Inman, SC
Level Contributor
22 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Beware Dollar car rental

I am unsure if my problem is really with Hotwire or with Dollar. I tried to rent a car for my son in Norfolk. I was going to pay for it with my card since he has no credit card (in the military - no money). I was told that if I rented through a 3rd party I could pay for the car. He went to pick it up this morning and his debit card (which had the required 200 dollars available) was denied due to his credit check. HOTWIRE ripoff. Of course, there is no refund. This is not the first time I have had issues with Hotwire. I won't have any more issues as I will avoid them at all costs. As far as Dollar, they only have a central number (not at the actual location) but were helpful . I should have just rented directly with them if they would have let me. Their rates were the same as going through Hotwire.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
43,118 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Beware Dollar car rental

Most car rental companies will not take Debit cards, only regular Credit cards.