We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What next - West coast road trip 2014

Kópavogur
Level Contributor
35 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
What next - West coast road trip 2014

hi

I just booked and paid the airfare to San Francisco today, one step closer to my 2014 road trip (see http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i12567-k6776836-Hopefully_a_final_draft_of_our_2014_USA_road_trip-Road_Trips.html#52203161) :-) We will be flying with Delta.

I have booked accommodation inside Yosemite, Zion, Bryce and Grand Canyon. My question is now what else should I book so far ahead ? The rental car ? Accommodation in SF, LA or LV or is it too early ? When I was looking at hotels in SF it looked like many of them where sold out or is it not possible to book so early ?

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
5,702 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What next - West coast road trip 2014

If you have a specific hotel you want in any of these places, then you should book far in advance. It's not likely to go down too much. If anything, hotels go up 1-2 weeks before the dates as advanced purchase rates and other deals expire.

I would look at the rental car price, but do not book anything that cannot be changed or canceled. Rental car rates change constantly. I would check it again in a couple of months after booking it, to see if it's gone up or down, then again a month or so before your trip. That's just my experience with them.

But it's likely that the smaller hotels just are not showing availability because the calendars have not been updated. Then again, it's also possible that there's a major event going on. I couldn't find a timeframe on the forum post that you linked, but I'm assuming summer, and there are things going on in San Francisco all through the summer.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What next - West coast road trip 2014

Forgot what time you are coming and can't open the link.

It's good you already booked your flights. We just flew Delta (Amsterdam-Seattle) and were happy with Delta. We usually only book the car only 2 month or even shorter before departure but if you want to ease your mind you also can do it now if you rent from Europe already. Try www.usareisen.de Prices almost always stay the same.

We always travel without making reservations but we also travel off season. Make a reservation for the day of arrival though.

Tet

Kópavogur
Level Contributor
35 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What next - West coast road trip 2014

oh sorry we are arrive in SF on July 8th and will stay in the US until August 4th :-)

I have been watching prices on the car in the past month and the best I have found is $705 for 24 days with Budget., the prices don't seem to change much.

I decided to book the hotel in SF but I think I will hold on for other locations to spread the cost a bit.

Thanks for your advice :-)

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What next - West coast road trip 2014

I know you are with 3 in your party and that Budget car only is $ 29,-- per day. Must be a very small one. A too small car won't hold 3 people and their luggage. Are you sure insurances are included in that price?

Kópavogur
Level Contributor
35 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What next - West coast road trip 2014

Sorry that was $805 not $705 :-/

The car would be a Ford Focus or similar (Compact) -> Good for five passengers and 4 bags according to Budget.

Included in price is:

Collision damage waiver (no excess)

Third party liability protection

Theft waiver

Complete cover package

Airport fee

unlimited mileage

Free extra driver

I am looking for cars through this site http://carrental.icelandair.com

And the quote I received was roughly 87.000 ISK or around 805 USD

We are not going to rent a gps since we own one and not going to rent a car seat (booster seat) since we have heard it is cheaper to buy one.

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
5,702 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What next - West coast road trip 2014

There's only about a 50% chance that you will actually get a Ford Focus but, either way, I think you'll be okay, particularly since the third person seems to be a small child, or is that an incorrect assumption? I can't help with the actual price, but you're right to not rent a GPS. For the child safety seat, Budget will be $65 (http://www.budget.com/budgetWeb/html/en/customer/commonquestions/#What's the cost of a child safety seat?), which is a bit more than what you would pay for a new one, so that's probably also a good move.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What next - West coast road trip 2014

<<4 bags>> Don't translate that into 4 trunks. But I agree with Colin. With a child in your party a Focus or similar will be sufficient. Make sure the rental has EP (Extended protection to 1 million $ aka SLI or SIL) in the contract.

A gps only is handy in cities. You don't need gps outside and always bring a map as well. Rand McNally has good ones or try Hallwag. We're just back from a 5000+ miles roadtrip and never missed a gps one second. Must say I have a detailed map for the greater LA area....

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
4,164 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What next - West coast road trip 2014

If your plans include a drive along the California coast between SF and LA, be advised that during your timeframe many places require a two night stay. Also, those months are very busy along the coast, so booking in advance would secure your lodgings without worries. Be sure to check the cancellation policy, so that if your itinerary changes you can change your booking.

9. Re: What next - West coast road trip 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2014, 05:18