We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from WA to IN in February taking 1-90 then I-65

Tacoma, Washington
1 post
Save Topic
Driving from WA to IN in February taking 1-90 then I-65

I am moving to Indiana in February from Washington State. I have mapped out my travels and tentatively decided on 1-90 to Chicago then I-65 into Indianapolis. I would like to get some tips in case there might be a better route since it is in the dead of winter. I will be in a U-haul with a car tow on bk. I am traveling with my 3 yr old and want to make this as smooth as I possibly can. I was born and raised in AK so have experience in rough winter weather conditions but need sound advice on the shortest route available to me. Thank you so much.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
8,102 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from WA to IN in February taking 1-90 then I-65

If the weather & roads look to be problematic ... Be prepared to leave the towed vehicle for another trip... You need not, with the child in the truck, make this haul more complicated than necessary ... I'll suggest(with the promise of clear roads) I-90 to the I-29... Then, the I-80 East to the I-74 into Indiana ... Be safe ... carracar

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
6,838 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from WA to IN in February taking 1-90 then I-65

The furthest south you can reasonably get is I-70 via I-25, and I don't know that that's a lot better than I-90 as far as snow potential. The Plains can always be problematic in the winter, all the way to Oklahoma. You just have to watch the forecasts, time it well, and have good luck. I would choose the I-29 to I-80 to I-74 route suggestion though over I-90 because it avoids Chicago and has lower traffic overall. Good luck!

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
23,792 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from WA to IN in February taking 1-90 then I-65

If you do decide to go the I90 option, here is a good website to check the road conditions all along the route.

http://www.i90i94travelinfo.com/

I thing you are going to need to have several plans in mind and choose the one that seems like it will have the best weather. If you are able to time your trip so you can flex by a couple of days either way that would be good.

Glad you have AK driving experience.

Pam

4. Re: Driving from WA to IN in February taking 1-90 then I-65

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2014, 06:18