We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yellowstone Road Trip

Kinderhook, New York
Level Contributor
5 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Yellowstone Road Trip

My husband and I are planning on driving from Albany, NY to Yellowstone this June. We plan on taking a few days to stop along the way and want a few interesting places see. Mt. Rushmore is definitely on the list. But other places of interest would be appreciated. We will be camping in Yellowstone so we will have our camp gear if a stop requires camping. Thanks!

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
20,173 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yellowstone Road Trip

Welcome to TA! Once you get your route set and things to see on the way, I invite you to hop over to the Wyoming forum for specifics on your Yellowstone portion of your trip. We usually recommend at least 3 full days (4 nights) in Yellowstone and more if you can manage it. We also recommend 2 full days in Grand Tetons if you can swing it as well.

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g28973-i480-Wyomin…

PeachBelle who is a Destination Expert here is also very active on the Yellowstone forum. Denalicat who posts here as well is well versed in advice on campgrounds and related info.

What part of June are you considering? Later in June will give you better chance of better weather, but it is still a great time to see all the wildlife babies.

Pam

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
28,567 posts
419 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Yellowstone Road Trip

Pam has given you great advice concerning Yellowstone and the Tetons. June is a great time. We've been twice in early June- one time we had sunny and warm weather and the next time we had snow, ice and some road closures. Had a great time both years but had to adjust because of the weather.

You will need one day between Mt. Rushmore and Yellowstone. I suggest an overnight stop in Cody and enjoy the rodeo and if time the Buffalo Bill museums.

You will need 2-3 days in the Black Hills depending on what you want to see and do. I suggest the Badlands NP, Custer SP, Mt. Rushmore and Crazy Horse. Might also like a stop in Deadwood and a drive up thru Spearfish Canyon.

Here is a great website with travel info for the Black Hills-

www.travelsd.com

On your way from Mt. Rushmore to Yellowstone consider an hour or two stop in Devils Tower.

We usually do a fly and drive to the west but have driven from the east coast once but came thru MO, KS and to Denver, CO.

Hopefully others will post with more specific info regarding the first part of your trip.

Good luck and let us know if you have other questions!!

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yellowstone Road Trip

How long do you have for your trip and are you driving back to Albany after the visits?

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
6,693 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Yellowstone Road Trip

This time last year the DW & I were on a Coast to coast drive... on the US 20... Albany OR to Albany NY... I'll urge on you enjoying that route ... for at least, Souix City to Yellowstone Park. One can run up to The Black Hills attractions from Chadron ... Rejoining the 20 at Greybull WY. Happy trails ... carracar

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Yellowstone Road Trip

Laurilou, welcome to TA and the road trips forum!

Apart from Chicago, popular attractions on your eastern leg, depending upon your interests, would include the Pro Football HOF in Canton, Ohio; Ohio Amish Country southwest of Canton; the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland; Cedar Point, the roller coaster capital of the world; and The Henry Ford in Dearborn, MI.

See "ATTRACTIONS IN GREATER CLEVELAND AND REGIONALLY" here:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g50207-c198218/Clevel…

If you want to skip Chicago, and if you have U.S. passports, consider crossing into Canada and crossing back into the U.S. at Port Huron, visiting Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore, considered one of the most beautiful U.S. locations east of the Mississippi; crossing the Mackinac Bridge; and visiting Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore, before continuing west.

Good planning!

Kinderhook, New York
Level Contributor
5 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Yellowstone Road Trip

We have about 2 weeks blocked out. We are trying to figure out how much time we will want for travel and to stay at Yellowstone. I'm understanding we will want at least 5 days in Yellowstone.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Yellowstone Road Trip

Well it's already 4500 miles from Albany to Yellowstone and back so not much time for sightseeing on the way esp if you also want to visit Black Hills/Badlands SD (recommended) . West of Chicago you can take different routes via I90 and I80 though. Grand Teton NP will make a great addition to your trip.

Wednesbury, UK
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
13,767 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Yellowstone Road Trip

Hi.

3 nights BlackHills.

1 night Cody.

4 nights Yellowstone.

2 nights Tetons.

How you use the other 3 nights, 4 days to get there and back, and split up the drives is up to you, but as Tet says will not leave a huge amount of time to see things on route.

Kinderhook, New York
Level Contributor
5 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Yellowstone Road Trip

Thank you! We were just want to make the most of our time on the road and see everything we can. I am sooo excited!

Marcellus, New York
Level Contributor
928 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Yellowstone Road Trip

We did a very similar trip last summer (we just continued on through Utah before heading home) and I thought I'd share some of what we did. Maybe you'll find it useful.

We took 90 out, but took the slow route with stops in Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin, and Minnesota. Given your time frame, you'll need to pretty much gun it through those areas to get further west, so I'll start with SD.

Our first "western" stop was the Badlands. We had originally intended to stay in Wall, but changed our minds at the last minute. If you can fit in a night in the newer cabins right in the Badlands park, they were really nice. It was lovely sitting on the deck in the wooden chairs watching the hills as the sun set, and I am sure it would be great to enjoy the stars if you get a clear night. Our stormy night there was absolutely amazing though! The sunset was beyond magical when we were there during a late-day storm in July. I posted some photos in my review of the Badlands last year if you care to take a look (don't know how to link to it).

After the Badlands, we camped in Custer State Park (we did the Game Lodge campground in a tent one night and a cabin another - enjoyed both), did Mt. Rushmore (drove north on Iron Mtn. Road), Sylvan Lake, Needles District (a MUST DO if you will be in Custer SP, in my opinion). The whole family really loved the Black Hills - they were truly an unexpected delight. At the time I didn't know about these forums or I would have realized how much time we'd want to spend there in advance. We just went with the flow and stayed another night, and then another, and another!

After the Black Hills we went to Devil's Tower National Monument - we visited near sunset, and were amazed by the changing colors as the sun got lower in the sky. We stayed in Buffalo, WY that night.

Last thing on our westward trip was the Beartooth Highway - I'm not sure about June, but in July it was open and fantastic! Earlier in the summer might be a problem because of snow, but if it is open I would give it my highest recommendation, as long as you aren't afraid of heights! This made the trip to Yellowstone NP a lot longer, though, as we had to go through Red Lodge rather than straight through from Cody, but it was well worth the time, assuming you have it to spare.

Just some thoughts, having done much the same route last summer. We loved the trip, and Yellowstone and the Tetons are great too.