We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Florida Road Trip - From UK

ossett
Level Contributor
11 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Florida Road Trip - From UK

We are a middle aged couple thinking of flying to Florida and then hiring a car to travel round by ourselves. We intend to visit in March 2014 and have up to 14 days available.

WE would like to take in the coast, the everglades, possibly Orlando and any other places of interest.

Anyone got any links to possible itineraries or Suggestions?

Have a flexible budget but, being from Yorkshire, am keen on value for money!

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
20,093 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Florida Road Trip - From UK

I would suggest that firstly you need to decide on your flights as this will dictate your starting/end points and could influence the route.

Are you looking at a return to/from the same Florida airport or an open jaw flight.

Personally speaking I'd skip Orlando unless theme parks is your thing and beach destinations can vary greatly in style from the hustle of Miami Beach to more quieter areas such as Sanibel - which are you looking for.

You need to be aware that March could put you into Spring Break time and you'll find some beach areas full of party kids which in my view is best avoided.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
29,689 posts
431 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Florida Road Trip - From UK

Areas like Panama City Beach and Ft. Lauderdale will have lots of spring breakers so avoid those areas.

There are other parts of Florida and even south GA that would be nice. St. Augustine, Amelia Island in northern Florida and Cumberland Island, Golden Isles of GA and Savannah, GA would be good choices at this time of the year. The weather should be nice and the flowers in full bloom.

If you want some nice beach weather then look at the Ft. Myers and Sanibel Island area of SW Florida. This will be the end of snowbird season and should be able to find affordable lodging.

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
6,221 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Florida Road Trip - From UK

We were in Florida for a little over a week this past year at that time. Honestly, I think it's one of the worst times to be there, because it's not yet warm enough to swim in the ocean in northern Florida, and you have to deal with a couple of major, annoying events: Spring Break and Daytona Bike Week. If you have any flexibility, I would look at trying to do the trip in April. Sorry to pessimistic, but I go to Florida at least once per year, and that was not as fun as it has been in the past or since (I went a few months ago) just because of the crowds. Daytona Bike Week is supposed to be March 7-16 in 2014 so, if you can avoid that, you'll be better off.

Panama City and Fort Lauderdale are the big destinations (you should totally avoid those areas), but you will find many other beach destinations are more full and/or expensive than they otherwise would be. Bike Week fills up the hotels as far north as Saint Augustine, and the Spring Breakers overflow into any beach destination, including Jacksonville Beach. They're just not as rowdy in other places, it seems.

As far as places to go, you could look at Fort Myers/Sanibel, St. Petersburg, Cape Canaveral, Miami and Jacksonville. All have nice beach areas and are nice enough towns. I know last year it was too cold to swim at Cape Canaveral, but Fort Myers should be okay. Orlando, as mentioned, is a bit of a loss except for theme parks. If you want to visit Disneyworld, Universal Studios, Sea World or others, then go and have a good time but, otherwise, it's just a big, sprawling city with tacky restaurants and terrible traffic.

Overall though, I think you should get a vacation rental on the beach somewhere for 4-7 days, then use the rest of the time for a road trip.

ossett
Level Contributor
11 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Florida Road Trip - From UK

Thanks for the advice..... Think we're going to go with consensus and look to postpone til april

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Florida Road Trip - From UK

Right! We have been this april for 3 weeks (1 week cruise) for a roundtrip and weather was perfect. No crowds and vacancy signs all over the place. Also often cheaper than march. We also visited Key West and stayed several nights. Also no crowds and plenty of lodging (not cheap in Key West).

Tet

6. Re: Florida Road Trip - From UK

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2014, 06:21