We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

boston - colorado recommendations needed!

Breckenridge...
Level Contributor
660 posts
80 reviews
Save Topic
boston - colorado recommendations needed!

Leaving Boston on or around 11/10. Need to be in Breckenridge by 11/16.

Any advice on routes? Places to avoid? Etc...no desire to drive thru Kansas.

Thanks

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
5,804 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: boston - colorado recommendations needed!

The most direct route is I-90 to I-80 to I-25 to I-70. If you wanted to avoid the tolls on most of the Mass Turnpike and the New York State Thruway though, then you could take I-84 from Worcester to Scranton, then I-80 west to Cleveland. You still have some tolls in Ohio and Indiana, but it cuts out quite a few. I-80 through Pennsylvania is boring and full of trucks though.

With 6 days though, I think you have the choice of either taking a more interesting and scenic route, off of the interstates, or spending a couple of days in at least one place along the way. Personally, I would opt for the interesting route. For that, I would choose one of the several federal cross-country highways that go from near Boston to near Denver. US 6, US 30 (the Lincoln Highway) and US 36 are just a few. You could also do something with US 20, which is a nice drive for the most part. US 6, however, is very rural and pretty, especially through New York and Pennsylvania.

As far as places to avoid, driving through Chicago is never a great idea because of the thick traffic you'll almost always encounter. It's difficult to avoid though.

Hope that helps.

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: boston - colorado recommendations needed!

Reese, welcome to TA and the road trips forum!

Consider ordering ASAP a free Massachusetts E-Z pass transponder (available to residents of all states), if you don't yet own one, especially if you'll use I-90. You'll save money and perhaps considerable time at toll booths, and it works in much of the eastern U.S. There basically are no fees as long as you keep your account balance sufficiently high to cover all charged tolls.

…state.ma.us/highway/…5

Cleveland would be a good day's drive from Boston. If you don't want to see anything there, such as perhaps the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame or the West Side Market (great for loading up with road food if bringing a cooler), check the Red Roof Inn in Willoughby, OH. It's just off the route 306 exit of I-90 and is well rated by TA reviewers, and very reasonable if booked well in advance. The senior king rooms are the best value, I'm told.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g50207-c198218/Clevel…

However, unless you start after 9 a.m. or stop to see something in Cleveland, you might want to get west of Cleveland on your first day to avoid the morning rush hour. If you want a long first day's drive, check out lodging in Milan off I-80 (PA turnpike) about one hour west of Cleveland. Otherwise, consider airport hotels (Hampton Inn on Tiedeman Road in Brooklyn, LaQuinta Inn Airport North at West 150th, Hilton Garden Inn Airport, etc.).

There's also a Red Rood Inn in Westlake if you want to take I-90 to the Ohio Turnpike. Westlake isn't much further than the airport hotels. Crocker Park in Westlake is great retail/restaurant experience.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
6,554 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: boston - colorado recommendations needed!

If you must, give Kansas a miss ... The I-80 as above and the I-76 from Big Springs, NB. happy trails ... carracar

Breckenridge...
Level Contributor
660 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: boston - colorado recommendations needed!

Hi - thank you for your advice....I have driven countless times throughout our amazing country and should have added even though I have "6 days" to get to Breckenridge, I would love to do it in 3-4 tops. Sight seeing is not the point of me driving out, I am heading out for a job and I know that I am anxious to just get in my Jeep and drive. I have driven cross country a bunch of times but I was with other people, this time solo so want the safest, most direct route with hopefully some good places to eat along the way. I want a route that avoids Kansas, tolls isn't a huge issue but obviously if I can save some money I will. I also forget which highway is the "major" trucker one throughout the mid-west but hopefully won't get blown over by the big rigs :)

5. Re: boston - colorado recommendations needed!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2014, 06:21