We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Orleans to Arizona in Feb.

Pewaukee, WI
Level Contributor
69 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
New Orleans to Arizona in Feb.

We plan to drive from Wisconsin to New Orleans and take a Caribbean cruise. Then we'll have another 14 to 16 days to drive to Phoenix and back to Wis. in Feb. We like to hike, bike (we'll have road bikes with us) and play tennis. Tentative plans are to spend a night in San Antonio, several nights in Phoenix, then go back through New Mexico, stopping in Truth or Consequences for the hot springs. Where else should we stop on the way to Phoenix (Big Bend National Park?, Texas state parks?, Tucson?), or should we just get to Phoenix as fast as possible to spend more time there? (We're looking for warm weather!) What about other (scenic) places to stop in New Mexico?

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,439 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Orleans to Arizona in Feb.

Carlsbad Caverns, White Sands, the Bosque de Apache, the Chiricahuas, Cochise Stronghold, Tombstone, Saguaro Natl Parks all places I loved in the southern parts of NM and Az.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
6,704 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Orleans to Arizona in Feb.

Tucson needs to be avoided Feb 13/16 as the Huge Gem & Mineral show, books out the town ... Other wise I much prefer the town over Phoenix... For a New Mexico Spa stop, I'll suggest Ojo Caliente... On the 285 North of Santa Fe/Espanola ... happy trails ... carracar

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New Orleans to Arizona in Feb.

If you want to go to T or C I suggest to do that between San Antonio and Phoenix and not on the way back to WI. Big Bend is a great NP but not sure you'll have the time for it. It requires several days for exploring. Take us90 from San Antonio instead I10. 90 is a nicer drive.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
29,088 posts
430 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New Orleans to Arizona in Feb.

You can easily spend 2 or more days in San Antonio. There is lots to see and do- The Alamo, Missions NP, Hemisfair park, The Riverwalk, etc.

We've been twice in the past two years and still haven't seen everything. Here are a couple of the photos from our last trip in December 2012.

…tripadvisor.com/tripwow/ta-0726-9d16-5ff5…

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
4,469 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New Orleans to Arizona in Feb.

Definitely include Carlsbad Caverns NP and White Sands--really different. In Tucson, in addition to Saguaro National Park (two sections, east and west) you could see the Pima Air and Space Museum, including the tour of The Boneyard, the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum, and Mission San Xavier del Bac.

Pewaukee, WI
Level Contributor
69 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New Orleans to Arizona in Feb.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. It'll be tough to decide what to include in the 2 weeks. 90 instead of I10 sounds like a good idea. I'm wondering why you suggest we do T or C between San Antonio and Phoenix instead of on the way back to Wis., Tet14. My thinking was that if our last sightseeing stops were in New Mexico, we'd be 6 or seven hours closer to Wis., than we would be in Phoenix.

If we skip Big Bend, maybe stop in Las Cruces between San Antonio and Phoenix? If so, which place would have more to see and do if we added an extra night, San Antonio or Las Cruces? Hopefully, we'd be able to see some of the Tucson attractions on the way to or from Phoenix.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New Orleans to Arizona in Feb.

You can't compare Las Cruces to San Antonio. There's not much to see in Las Cruces. From Las Cruces to T or C only is a 1h15 minutes drive and you can head back to I10 via Silver City. (nice drive also) Driving back from Phx to WI via T and C is a major detour. NM is the 5th largest state in the country.

8. Re: New Orleans to Arizona in Feb.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2014, 05:19