We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

very generic q on the remote possibility of road trip OK-FL!

Portland, Australia
Level Contributor
35 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
very generic q on the remote possibility of road trip OK-FL!

I am inquiring as to people's thoughts on a possible road trip from OK (tulsa) to Florida (Orlando & maybe down to the Keys).

We have never travelled by road in the USA before. I am the only one who's been there (CA, MS) and YES i know it's a big place.

My husband is desperate to go to the Chili Bowl in Tulsa, and i would like to take my kids to Disneyworld in FL, as well as Daytona. Because we can only take time away from our small business over the Christmas/New year period (please no suggestions to do it at a different time, i am not interested in that!), we will be travelling January 2015. Coming from a week or so's stay in Hawaii (Honolulu).

We have about 2 weeks to do it, wanting to spend at least 3 days in FL for Disneyworld and Daytona - also how far is it down to the Florida Keys? Am i wanting to fit too much into too small a time?!

We have travelled LOTS with our kids in the car (we have done long road trips before, and live in a rural town ~400km from our state's capital which we visit often and do weekly/fortnightly trips for 1-2 hrs on country roads), so it wouldn't be too new an experience for them, but i have NO idea as to the roads, sights and points of interest on the road (would we go thru Arkansas, TX, Georgia, etc?!)

As you can see i have really no idea of what might be involved, even if, in fact, this sort of trip is even a possibility, or i am just dreaming!!!

My kids (B,G,G,B) will be 10, 8, 5 & 2 at the time of travel.

My husband is not overly keen on historical sights etc, he gets "excursion sickness" if you get my drift! :-) would be looking for suggestions on best routes, quickest routes, roadside diner experiences (which we haven't had before), etc.

Thanks for any help or responses offered.

Cheers!

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
31,069 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: very generic q on the remote possibility of road trip OK-FL!

There is always the possibility of really bad snow storms in Oklahoma at that time of the year. If that happens the power can be out and roads closed for days.

Personally I would stick with a more southern trip. There is lots to see and do in the south. Charleston, Savannah, Atlanta, Memphis, St. Augustine to just name a few places along with your ideas of Daytona, Orlando and the Florida Keys. The Keys will be pricey in the winter months.

Let us know if you have other questions- good luck!!

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,743 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: very generic q on the remote possibility of road trip OK-FL!

it's going to be about 1200 miles from Tulsa to Orlando. Yes, weather can be questionable along I40 but not like farther north. Odds are, you'll be fine with weather, but plan to adjust if needed. I have NO experience traveling thru those southern states, sorry. I would head directly to the panhandle of Florida from Tulsa if it were me. I have been to that area and it's beautiful :)

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
31,069 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: very generic q on the remote possibility of road trip OK-FL!

I think I should clarify what I meant to say about winter storms. Snow may not be the big issue in that part of Oklahoma but the problem is really ice storms in eastern OK and western AR.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: very generic q on the remote possibility of road trip OK-FL!

So you want to rent a car in Tulsa and drop it off in ?? Orlando/Miami? Are you flying to Tuksa first? There will be drop off charges but you already know that I suppose. Orlando to Key West is a daytrip and yes, it's high season and prices are top. You can go to other places at the Keys like Key Largo but they can't compete with a place like Key West imo. YOu'll need a reservation for your stay there though.

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
6,488 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: very generic q on the remote possibility of road trip OK-FL!

You should be okay on weather. You would have to have pretty bad luck to hit anything. The Ozarks region generally gets some sort of winter storm each year, but it's typically only for a few days and is generally later in the winter.

One thing I would look at initially is the logistics of this. With six people total, the only vehicle that will fit you is a mini-van or large SUV, which are generally pretty expensive and, even with that, you will have a very difficult time getting all of the luggage in there. I know, for six adults, it's absolutely not enough room, but you may be able to make due with the children. I would go for a mini-van, personally, just because they also tend to feature the on-board entertainment system that will keep your kids occupied during the inevitable long drives. Look at the costs before you go too far.

Additionally, you will likely be doing a round-trip road trip since picking the car up in one place and dropping in another would be very expensive. Just make sure you'll be okay with that much driving.

Personally, with two weeks, I would not go for the Florida Keys. It's much further than you think. I'm also keen on swaying you away from Daytona. Is there anything specific you want to see there, or are you just looking for a beach?

As far as the route, I would also go south first and then east to hit the warm weather. So you're looking at 2-3 days for this Chili Bowl, 5 days for Florida (a minimum, I think, to make it worth it), with about 5-6 days for the drive. In that drive, you have Hot Springs, Arkansas; Texas; New Orleans; and some really nice beaches along the Florida Gulf Coast and Panhandle. You could also scoot back up north, as a side trip, along the Atlantic coast to St. Augustine, Jacksonville, Savannah and Charleston. They're typically pretty tolerable in the winter. We were in Savannah/Charleston last January, and it generally just required a light jacket. Nothing like South Florida, but not bad. If the idea of jackets bothers you, then you could go further south into Florida instead, and keep your trip to a quick 3 or so days. The Keys would be an option then.

The alternative is, of course, flying. Going directly from Tulsa to Orlando and starting from there is something you should also look at, I think. But, with that large of a group, it will obviously be more expensive.

Good luck in your planning.

Portland, Australia
Level Contributor
35 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: very generic q on the remote possibility of road trip OK-FL!

hello to everyone who has replied, thank you so much for your helpful advice! it seems that because tulsa is such an out--of-the way destination (can we call it a destination?!) and we are definitely heading to hawaii the week before - might have to re-assess our travel plans. but for the motorsport enthusiast husband of mine, i think he will be disappointed!

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: very generic q on the remote possibility of road trip OK-FL!

Tulsa sure is a destination in itself but a bit hard to reach indeed. Also Oklahoma City makes a great visit and between Tulso and OKC you'll find many places for R66.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
31,069 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: very generic q on the remote possibility of road trip OK-FL!

Too bad you will not be here a bit later because could take in the Daytona 500. There are NASCAR museums in Charlotte NC and at Talladega, AL.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
31,069 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: very generic q on the remote possibility of road trip OK-FL!

To clarify- Talladega, AL has the International Motorsports Hall of Fame and Museum.

10. Re: very generic q on the remote possibility of road trip OK-FL!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 November 2014, 04:17