We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

RV Road Trip- Los Angeles to Grand Canyon Area

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
22 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
RV Road Trip- Los Angeles to Grand Canyon Area

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forum and am excited to be a part of it. We got a new RV last summer and are planning to take a few road trips this summer and were looking for ideas. We live in Los Angeles and were looking for a couple of trips, or loops, that we could do in the summer. We are family of 4, my boys are at a good age for hiking, etc (8 and 13).

We are planning on doing a 7-8 day trip to the Grand Canyon. I'm really new at this trip planning and would appreciate any suggestions and tips or great things to see that we don't want to miss in the areas. We've never been to the areas. We were thinking:

LA to Sedona

Grand Canyon

Bryce Canyon

Zion

Las Vegas

LA

What do you all think? Thanks!

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,168 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: RV Road Trip- Los Angeles to Grand Canyon Area

Welcome to the TripAdvisor, and particularly the Road Trip, forum.

My immediate instinct is there's no need to bite off more than you can chew.

If you did a trip that included Sedona, the Grand Canyon and Las Vegas you could do some great hiking, see some wonderful old Route 66 towns and sights and have a relaxing couple of days in Las Vegas.

All without an overly punishing driving schedule.

After you've done that trip you'll have a better idea of how you want to schedule your next one. The one to Zion, Bryce and Las Vegas!

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
20,062 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: RV Road Trip- Los Angeles to Grand Canyon Area

Hi

I'm sure you'll get lots of advice and tips regarding the route options and that kinda stuff. I was going first to comment on the RV aspects as that's new to you.

If you're in the habit of using googlemaps or any of those webtools for route planning, do just accept that the driving times are going to be very optimistic. RVs don't usually travel as fast as cars, expecially when you're new to them, still working out how they feel on the road. They also can be slower to climb, of course.

Even with just a one week trip planned for your first real trip, you might want to try a short drive, if you've not done so to see how it handles, and especially how to park it or reverse in it. I've seen busy, small RV parks where the only slots left are the awkward ones!

Oh yes, where to stay: There are guides you will want to buy, I'd guess, like Woodalls, etc, but the best websites for reviews of the private RV parks is:

http://www.rvparkreviews.com/

The reviews are often written by old timers who know what they seek in the RV parks. They also give prices, which vary according to location and time of year. KOAs can be pricey for what they offer.

If you want more RV tips, just ask. There are a few very experienced RVers on this forum, we've just done it once but learned a lot from other posters here.

Back to your trip. I'd say for a first trip, it's a bit ambitious. Also, given that you start from LA (lucky you, no 10 hour flights to reach the west!) then you should be able to do regular trips to cover the other destinations you'd like to reach over time.

Enjoy your RV and the trip.

SWT

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: RV Road Trip- Los Angeles to Grand Canyon Area

LA to GC with an RV is not a daytrip By car it already can take 8-9 hours let alone by RV and many places for R66 on the way. I'd make that a 2 days drive. With Sedona, Grand Canyon and Las vegas on your plate I agree with LDN that you are packing too much in one week. More places to visit other than Bryce and Zion are Monument Valley and Page. Btw, LA to Sedona also is an 8 hours drive....by car.

Tet

Wednesbury, UK
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
13,726 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: RV Road Trip- Los Angeles to Grand Canyon Area

I agree with the others

From where you live there is no need to pack it all into one trip, especially in an RV.

You can scale back bit and perhaps take north and south of the Grand Canyon over a couple of bites.

Edited: 08 November 2013, 18:54
Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,889 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: RV Road Trip- Los Angeles to Grand Canyon Area

Hello emncrs and welcome to TripAdvisor. Also, welcome to the world of RVing - I've been RVing for over 20 years :-)

Is this your first trip? One thing we learned over the years is that you should go out on a couple of "shakedown cruises" first to make sure everything works. It doesn't matter if the RV (motorhome?) is brand new or used, there may be things that do not work.

Oh boy, I could tell you stories . . . LOL!

Next, I agree that you have too many things planned for your week. One of the nice things about RVing is to have your motel room and kitchen in a scenic spot for a few days, and really get to explore the area, all whilst you're paying only $30 a night or so to enjoy a pleasant location.

I'd definitely skip Las Vegas this trip. We spent three full days at Grand Canyon and felt that was about right. We're not hikers but enjoyed walking along the rim, the free shuttle bus rides throughout the area, and discovering some lesser known places with our tow vehicle.

Do you have a tow car, by the way?

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,889 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: RV Road Trip- Los Angeles to Grand Canyon Area

Here is some information and websites about locating RV parks and campgrounds:

http://www.rvparkreviews.com/index.html (all RV park reviews by RVers only– excellent )

http://camp-california.com/

http://www.rv-clubs.us/rv_campgrounds.html

http://www.rvparkhunter.com/page2.asp

http://www.koa.com

goodsamclub.com/travel/campgroundsandrvparks/

woodalls.com/campground/…rv-campgrounds.aspx

++ Although the following have websites that are listed above, if you prefer a book, you may wish to look into purchasing the ‘2013 Good Sam RV Travel Guide & Campground Directory’. It’s a very useful reference book available through www.amazon.com or www.barnesandnoble.com . They are also available at any Camping World store.

Woodall's publishes a Western Campground Directory that is available through AAA.

Note that you may or may not have internet access in rural areas, so we always keep printed campground guides in our 5th wheel.

--

You will find some reviews of RV parks and campgrounds here on TripAdvisor :-) They are located under "Specialty Lodging".

--

Good Sam Club - You may want to look into joining this as you get discounts for lots of RV parks and RV related businesses. www.goodsamclub.com

Maps - We prefer AAA paper maps but if you use a GPS be aware that it may send you on roads that are not suitable for RVs.

Speaking of, if you decide to go to Bryce and Zion, you need to be aware of the tunnel. Depending upon the size of your rig you may have to go around on an alternative route. We did.

Click here for more info:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g28965-c149481/Utah:U…

7. Re: RV Road Trip- Los Angeles to Grand Canyon Area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 November 2014, 05:16