We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Longest drive in the USA

England
Level Contributor
726 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Longest drive in the USA

I'm in the middle of another topic in this great forum, but thought I would ask a valid question. What is the longest you have driven in a day in America?

It will form part of the decision in terms of feasibility for the places we want to visit. I will be driving in July in the South so there won't be any snow ailments to concern myself etc

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,130 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Longest drive in the USA

Can I point you towards a thread I wrote after a road trip of mine last year. Ignore most of my drivel but there was a lot of great input from others on the subject of driving day length.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g1-i12567-k55481…

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
19,073 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Longest drive in the USA

Dean

You really don't want to be asking that question. Some of the USA based road warriors who lurk on this forum are able, willing and set up to do a really long 'repositioning' run as part of their trips, whether for road trip vacations, to see family, move home, work related reasons or whatever. They do it in cars or other vehicles they're familiar with on roads of a type they use every day of their life. They might be lucky too with weather or lack of roadworks, too.

What you just might be considering isn't the same thing at all!

Just saying .....

SWT

Edited: 07 November 2013, 18:48
London, United...
Level Contributor
17,130 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Longest drive in the USA

Agree. And that will be borne out in some of the stomach-churning responses in my thread. Which probably means I shouldn't have suggested reading it. Sorry.

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,130 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Longest drive in the USA

I will say on my last trip I average 170 miles per driving day. (ie. there were days in places where there was just local, low mileage driving.) And was tired and miserable a fair bit.

I promised myself the next trip I would try to average no more than 100 miles per driving day.

At this early stage of my planning for my June 2014 trip it's looking more like a 135 miles per driving day average with days of 240, 255 and 290 miles in there and in a five day period. Which is mildly concerning.

England
Level Contributor
726 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Longest drive in the USA

Lol, sorry wasn't aware of this.

Consider this topic terminated

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,130 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Longest drive in the USA

If you really want to terminate the thread you have the option by clicking the 'Report' drop down menu in your original post and clicking 'Remove My Post'. But I think you've started a perfectly valid debate and should see where it goes. And if it's not the direction you want then try and bring it back with a post clarifying exactly what you want.

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
12,093 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Longest drive in the USA

SWT is correct; long trips have been taken for many reasons and range between 12-14 hrs and once in my youth did a 23 hrs run San Francisco to Vancouver BC . Now I try to limit vacation runs to around 4-5 hrs with maybe 8 hrs days at the end to get back home.

Edited: 07 November 2013, 19:59
N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
19,019 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Longest drive in the USA

I enjoyed re-reading that thread, LDN. I especially liked the discussion about families coming from different vacation styles and having to find a common ground.

dean00_0, another consideration is population density leading to heavier traffic. If I take off heading east on I90 from where I live, I go thru Idaho, Montana and Wyoming and know I am not going to run in to much traffic. If I were in Jacksonville FL headed south on I95 I know there will be heavy traffic the whole way. That is certainly going to impact my mileage and the number of hours I can comfortably stay behind the wheel (physically and mentally, lol). I have done (solo) 14 hour drives (in excess of 750 miles) and could probably do that 2 days in a row, but not more than that. I would NOT recommend that to anyone nor would it be possible to do where there is traffic.

Also, as SWT says, there is also road construction to consider. In the south they can do road work all year. In ID/MT/WY there is a joke that there are 2 seasons, winter and road work. That can really limit your day's drive as well.

As was frequently said in LDN's 2012 thread, this is a *do as I say not do as I do* kind of thing.

Pam

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
27,342 posts
382 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Longest drive in the USA

Drove one time straight thru except for short gas stops from just south of Pittsburgh to Atlanta. Of course in my younger days!!!

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Longest drive in the USA

A consideration in the summer is the sun. It's tiring driving south or west into the sun in the summer IMO.

Also, in July in the South in the summer, you must be prepared for torrential tropical storms if not hurricanes.

If you see attractions in the South's heat and humidity, and then get back into an air-conditioned car, the suddenly chilled air can cause drowsiness, compounded if you've spent many hours on the road that day.

When driving at high speeds on a hot road, and in the South in July, the road surfaces will be very hot, so I'm also very conscious of the possibility of a blow-out, which keeps me in a tiring, heightened state of awareness. I remember a family trip when I was a kid where my dad blew out two tires in the same, very hot summer day. My dad believed in having two things on a car above all else -- good brakes and very good tires, so the quality of the tires weren't the issue. The car was really loaded, probably near or over maximum weight capacity.

I don't know if they had tire ratings back in those days, but I only buy A-rated tires for temp when buying new tires. Unfortunately, rental cars have OEM tires which generally are of a lesser quality than than top-rated replacement tires.

When it first rains after several days of no rain, roads will be very slippery (accumulated oil, etc. on the road surfaces). Aagain, car rental tires don't have the best treads, so hydroplaning will be a higher risk, and a slower speed is advisable.