We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Denver to Las Vegas and LA by Road trip

Denver, Colorado
5 posts
Save Topic
Denver to Las Vegas and LA by Road trip

Hi Everyone,

I am planning a road trip from denver to Las vegas and LA with my wife on this Thanks Giving Holidays. We have total 5 days to complete the round trip starting on 28th Nov 2013 and coming back on 2nd Dec 2013. Can you guys help me plan my trip ? what should i cover on the way to las vegas etc? i am new to US and this would be my first long road trip and have no ideas what are the good places to visit on the way to las vegas from denver.

Hope to hear back soon :)

So Cal
Level Contributor
8,625 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Denver to Las Vegas and LA by Road trip

I'll echo Babalax from your Colorado thread: Too much! I'm planning a driving trip from the LA area to Colorado; Estes Park/RMNP is the closest I'm getting to Denver. It will take a day just to drive from LA to Monument Valley, or LA to Grand Junction. I cannot imagine driving there and back in only 5 days - you won't have time to do much of anything, as you'll spend two full days just driving.

Unless an effectively-three-day vacation is what you want, I would highly recommend a closer trip. Vegas, Utah parks, etc.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
6,694 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Denver to Las Vegas and LA by Road trip

This is one road trip you should not, plan ! Should you be able to get affordable tickets ... I suggest you fly ... carracar

Edited: 08 November 2013, 03:27
WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,167 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Denver to Las Vegas and LA by Road trip

I saw your post on the Colorado forum, too. This is way too far and WAY too much driving to do as a round trip in 5 days if you want to do anything except just drive. Even Denver to Las Vegas and back is pushing it if you want to stop and see much of anything. Remember, you don't have long hours of daylight and you can encounter icy roads, especially at night. And you might encounter stormy weather. It's best to travel In daylight hours.

Since this is your first road trip, I'd recommend you scale it back. If you really want to drive to Las Vegas, then do that. If you really want to go to Los Angeles, then fly. If you just want to take a 5 day road trip somewhere, starting and ending in Denver, there are lots of possibilities. (For example, look at Grand Junction to Moab to Cortez/Mesa Verde/Durango, then back to Denver.)

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Denver to Las Vegas and LA by Road trip

More than 2000 miles in 5 days with a chance on snow on the roads. I'd make another plan.

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
19,730 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Denver to Las Vegas and LA by Road trip

Hi Rajiv

You asked "what are the good places to visit"?

Well, an easy answer would be places that you can sensibly reach with the amount of time you have available, starting and returning to Denver! And where you can find lodging over a busy Holiday period!

As you say you are new to road trips, please bear in mind the time of year and that you have opted to do a road trip over a Holiday when traffic can be high on Interstates, etc. I'd suggest you consider much nearer to home. Have you've already explored all of Colorado? We love Colorado, there's no need to go further afield.

Places to consider, but I confess to not having checked recent weather reports nor explored the area at that time of year myself, might include some of the eastern side of Rocky Mountain national park, if you can find lodging in Estes Park and are wrapped up warm, there's great hiking.

The area around Colorado Springs, is pretty with Garden of the Gods to explore nearby.

If you stick to driving pretty much due west from Denver along I-40 (provided there are no weather issues/road closures after the Eisenhower tunnel area, then you can reach several ski areas, which traditionally open for Thanksgiving, but accommodation might be hard to find in those, and I'd guess they have multi night minimum stays then.

That should get you started, hopefully those more local to you and know what's good for the time of year might also offer better suggestions.

SWT

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
19,730 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Denver to Las Vegas and LA by Road trip

Here's the Colorado DOT website link (couldn't find it earlier!). It offers real time weather and traffic info, including live cameras at passes to check current conditions. It may help with some decisions!

http://www.coloradodot.info/

SWT

7. Re: Denver to Las Vegas and LA by Road trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 November 2014, 05:16