We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New England Road Trip

Loomis, California
4 posts
Save Topic
New England Road Trip

My aunt and I are flying into NYC in June 2014 from California. From NYC we thought we'd take a bus or train to Mystic, Boston, not sure yet. We want to rent a car and travel the east coast up to Maine and then fly back to California. We have about 2 weeks including flight time. We want to see all the tourist sites, do some shopping, etc., no hiking or sports, just sightseeing. Any suggestions on an itinerary? Where should we start our road trip? Neither of us has been to the east coast and we're really excited but don't know where to begin after we leave NYC.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
30,610 posts
442 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New England Road Trip

A beautiful area of New England imo is the White Mts. You can drive the Kancamagus Hwy. Go up to Mt. Washington, go to Franconia Notch and over to Jackson. Lots of shopping in North Conway, NH.

Also a beautiful area is the coast of Maine- starting in Bar Harbor and Acadia NP then down the coast to Penabscot Bay, Camden, Rockland, Freeport (LLBean store), Kennebunkport and Ogunquit.

We did a trip in the fall a few years ago and had a wonderful trip with lots of scenery, good food and a little shopping.

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
21,467 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New England Road Trip

Hi

Great ideas from PeachBelle, already. Would totally agree to include as many of them as you can.

Do you need time to visit NYC on this trip, or is all your time available for road tripping?

You will get better priced car rental deals from outside the city than inside, but I'd suggest you decide where you will head before deciding where to start the road trip itself. You can get trains to several destinations in the regions. Mystic features on lots of lists for folk visiting the area, but we didn't find it the most interesting place at all.

As well as the places already mentioned, we also enjoyed Cape Cod area, including the islands off there - Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket, but MV from Wood's Hole is the best and easiest option. If spending time in the south of the region, we also enjoyed touring the 'cottages' around Newport, RI.

SWT

Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
8,236 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New England Road Trip

The mansions in the Hudson Valley may be of interest to you:

www.hudsonriver.com/hudson-river-estates

Saratoga Springs, NY and Burlington, VT (further north of the HV) are towns that hold a lot of appeal as they have pleasant downtowns with interesting shops and plenty of good dining options. There is good shopping at Woodbury Commons (between the Hudson Valley and NYC) and in Manchester, VT.

Portsmouth, NH is a lovely town worth spending time in on your way to Maine. I personally enjoyed the section of the Maine coast north of Portland to Acadia much more than the southern section.

Even if you aren't hikers, Acadia is a must do, IMO.

Enjoy your trip!

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,653 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New England Road Trip

we did a road trip including Boston and took the same basic route PeachBelle suggested along the coast of Maine. I would highly recommend that as well.

Loomis, California
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: New England Road Trip

Yes, we'd like to spend a few days in NYC.

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
21,467 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New England Road Trip

Ok, then, but how long in NYC?

The more info you share with us with regard to your travel plans, such as actual days and nights available for the trip, your travel style, whether you wish to just enjoy the driving or need frequent short stops at attractions, what your idea of an acceptable day behind the wheel is, etc, we cannot really offer much for by way of advice or suggestions.

Do you also want to spend time in Boston or any other city in the region, too?

SWT

Edited: 13 November 2013, 16:59
Loomis, California
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: New England Road Trip

We'd like to see the main tourist attractions in NYC. Do you think it could be done in 2-3 days? We'd definately like to see Boston, Cape Cod and Martha's Vineyard. We'd probably start our road trip in Boston. I've been told it's cheaper to fly back to Sacramento, CA from Boston than from Maine, but don't know how much time that would take off the trip. We'll probably take 10 days for the entire trip, due to budget constraints. We'd like to see as much as possible of the main tourist attractions in New England. We're mostly interested in the historical sites & tours. Not sure we want to do national parks. Not interested in art museums or outlet stores. If we can see it on the west coast, it doesn't much interest us.

Of course, we'd like to do less driving and more sight seeing. We really don't want to waste half a day driving without stopping, but a couple of hours behind the wheel is ok. We're just a couple of west coast girls (ages 57 and 61) who have never been east of Arkansas and really want to experience the culture of NYC and New England. I hope this helps.

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
21,467 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New England Road Trip

Cathy, based on the info you've provided in post 7, I'd say - and this is assuming you've not yet booked any flights for this trip - that you should perhaps fly to NYC - there are several airports that can work from CA - and spend say 3 or 4 nights of your 13/14 night trip there, enjoying what NYC does so well. For up to date details on lodging, attraction prices and opening hours, theatre ticket prices, etc, ask questions on the NYC forum.

Then take the train to Boston. Pick up your rental car, drive out of the city and drive around the areas you wish to visit and explore by car. If you're happy with one night stops in most destinations, plan to sight see and take quick photos rather than hike, and between you are willing to drive around 3-4 hours most days, then you can cover a lot of ground in 7/8 nights, but I don't think you have time to cover both Martha's Vineyard and Vermont in the one trip, any which way. You' then drop the car back in Boston and spend your last 2/3 nights exploring that city before flying back to CA.

You will note I've bookended your trip with city exploration and recommended you do the driving in the middle. That should offer a decent balance.

Do note that if you are prepared to be quite flexible with your choice of airports in the Sacramento/Bay area and NYC in general, you can get decent flights. BOS back to home should also have some choices and competition to keep prices reasonable if you book at the right time. I'm not a flights expert, however. For more info on your options, ask on the Air Travel forum.

Hope that helps,

SWT

North Hartland
Level Contributor
2 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New England Road Trip

If you choose to go to Vermont you will not be disappointed to visit:

Ben & Jerrys Factory in Waterbury; then head to Stowe, VT. Many antique shops along the way and VT speciality stores. You can even do the Alpine Slide in Stowe or a Gondola ride.

Burlington, VT is amazing; I lived there. The Church Street Marketplace is a definite must see. ECHO on the shores of Lake Champlain where you can even rent a bike and head out on the bike path that goes along Lake Champlain.

A great stop in the White River Jct, VT/Hanover, NH (they are seperated by a river) is Dartmouth College, King Arthur Flour Company, Dan & Whit's Store (their motto is: if we don't have it, you don't need it" and the Montshire Museum of Science (I don't like museums but this place is spectacular......check it out on the web.

We love living in Vermont. I'm happy to guide you in anyway if you choose to go this direction. Feel free to email me if you'd like: vermontmaple@yahoo.com

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New England Road Trip

Welcome to the forum Amy but it's not a good idea to put your e-mailaddress on a public forum and be subject to spam.