We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Phoenix to Nevada City, CA Thanksgiving Week

Phoenix, Arizona
3 posts
Save Topic
Phoenix to Nevada City, CA Thanksgiving Week

Hi there. I'll be taking about two weeks off around Thanksgiving to go from Phoenix to Nevada City, CA then to Orinda, CA to visit family. I was thinking about taking CA 395 up to Nevada City starting on November 23rd. It will be me and my three kids in a minivan (Honda Odyssey). Will the roads be passable on the northern end of 395 this time of year? I've taken the route during the summer and of course had no problems. This late in the year and having the kids in the car has me worried.

Any thoughts on this? The other option would be to go via the central valley.

Plus, any advice on good towns/hotels to stay at would be appreciated.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
64,527 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Phoenix to Nevada City, CA Thanksgiving Week

Hi

There are some folks who live in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada but only read & post on the California state forum page. I recommend that you repost over there so that you might get their feedback.

California: tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g28926-i29-Califor…

Phoenix, Arizona
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Phoenix to Nevada City, CA Thanksgiving Week

Thanks for the tip!

Henderson, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,418 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Phoenix to Nevada City, CA Thanksgiving Week

That route is high enough in several places to be a problem for winter driving, particularly the stretch from Mammoth to Bridgeport, and Donner Pass out of Reno, Thanksgiving is a bit early for a nasty storm, and this winter is looking either dry or late... We are now close enough to your trip to see long range forcasts. They are saying a chance of light snow on Saturday... but with daytime temps high enough to melt it before you would get there.

I would suggest you plan on taking 395 north, but check the weather before you leave, and be prepared to go up through the central valley if a storm develops.

Assuming you go up the east side, do you know about Hwy 20? It is the short cut into Nevada City and Grass Valley from the east.

Randy

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Phoenix to Nevada City, CA Thanksgiving Week

There's no way t predict how 395 will be. No problems till Bishop but from there the road goes up to 8000+ ''and on a bad day you can get snowed in. So I agree with RandyHees in the previous post. Central Valley drive is less scenic of course. But beware of Tule fog there.

Henderson, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,418 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Phoenix to Nevada City, CA Thanksgiving Week

Currently the 10 day forecast at weather underground www.wunderground.com/US/CA/mammoth_lakes.html suggests you will be fine driving the east side... At least one of the incoming storm waves is supposed to run up the west side of the Sierras, and that could bring increased chance of fog in the valley. (I like to use Mammoth Lakes as my default weather search for snow on the east side... it is a bit higher, and gets bigger accumulations, so it will show snow before other places... )

At this point, if it was me, I would plan the eastern route, up 395... You didn't say how many days you were planning to take on the drive north... if only one stop, likely Bishop. With two, Las Vegas or Death Valley, the second night Bishop or Mammoth....

Randy

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Phoenix to Nevada City, CA Thanksgiving Week

You asked for hotels. Best Western Creekside Inn Bishop has been our home away from home several times. It's a very good hotel. Next to it is Erik Schat's Bakery. World famous in California and fantastic food.

Edited: 18 November 2013, 10:59
7. Re: Phoenix to Nevada City, CA Thanksgiving Week

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 November 2014, 06:21