We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I40 winter

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
743 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
I40 winter

Visiting usa from Australia ,the first week in December .are planing to drive from Washington, D.C. To OK city .via i40.would there be much risk of ice or snow

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
31,929 posts
445 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I40 winter

We drive I 40 across TN and into AR and should not have any problems on that section of the road. There is one steep mountain pass thru Appalachians on NC/TN border that can get icy early in the season if temps drop.

Henderson, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,426 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I40 winter

My daughter did Hwy 40 to Oklahoma City, then across to Memphis, Nashville, then up the Blue Ridge to DC in late Dec early January 2010. We encountered snow beside the road beyond Kingman and never were without snow near the road the rest of the way. We only encountered falling snow in far eastern Tenn and western Virgina... It was only a bit slick in Virginia... My blog about the trip starts at …blogspot.com/2009/12/packing-madly.html

We did carry chains... but never came close to using them. This was an unusually cold winter, which held Atlanta in a deep freeze, with fountains frozen a week later (my wife and I spend a day in Atlanta on a separate trip a week later...)

Some years before, the week before Christmas the family did Grand Canyon, Canyon de Chey, Monument Valley, Phoenix and Tuscon. We had snow while at the Grand Canyon (It was beautiful, worth it) again at Monument Valley... It was cold... That storm closed I-40 for a couple of days... we were on parralle Navajo Reservation roads and did fine (but chained up a couple of times)... That trip is before I started blogging...

Generally I 40 and most of the eastern seaboard is fine... you can get around, but may have to hold up a day while things improve and the snow plows catch up with the white stuff....

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
6,726 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I40 winter

There are some mountainous sections through Arkansas and east of Nashville, but you would have to be unlucky to encounter significant snow or ice on those stretches. Your main concern should be closer to Washington. Interstate 81 follows a valley for the most part, but it's still likely to see snow in the winter. But you should be okay still.

4. Re: I40 winter

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 November 2014, 05:18
Our community is here to help!
Ask questions, get advice and more from travellers like you.
Join TripAdvisor