We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Feedback on Canadian Rockies itinerary

London, United...
Level Contributor
36 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Feedback on Canadian Rockies itinerary

Hello,

I am planning to do a week long round road trip in the Canadian Rockies from Vancouver in June 2014 and after a lot of reading on the various forums here, I have come up with a rough itinerary below.

Saturday, 07 June 2014: Arrive in Vancouver in the afternoon from London

Sunday, 08 June 2014: Spend the day in Vancouver

Monday, 09 June 2014: Drive from Vancouver to Vernon / Salmon Arm / Revelstoke via Hope / Kelowna. Any suggestions on things to see along this route, where to spend time and which place to stay overnight between my three choices? I do not fancy doing wine tasting in / around Kelowna as I am not comfortable with any alcohol consumption whilst driving.

Tuesday, 10 June 2014: Drive from Vernon / Salmon Arm / Revelstoke to Banff / Lake Louise via Glacier National Park / Golden / Yoho National Park. Any suggestions on things to see along this route? I would like to visit the Emerald Lake on this bit of the route if possible.

Wednesday, 11 June 2014: Overnight in Banff / Lake Louise. Explore Lake Louise / Moraine Lake. Take the gondola up to the Sulphur mountain. Is there anything else do you reckon I should do on this day? I am happy to have a relaxing day with minimal driving for a change.

Thursday, 12 June 2014: Drive from Banff to Jasper via the Icefields Parkway. I would like to visit the Icefield Centre and do some photo stops along the way. Any suggestions on where to stop for the best photo stops?

Friday, 13 June 2014: Jasper to Clearwater. This is one bit of the route I have no clue about in terms of things to see / do. Are there things around Jasper that I should do before heading to Clearwater?

Saturday, 14 June 2014: Clearwater to Vancouver: Leave Clearwater early in the morning to catch a 1330 flight back to London from Vancouver. I am concerned about getting stuck in trafiic on this day. Is there somewhere between Jasper and Vancouver that is closer to Vancouver I should stop overnight the previous day to reduce the amount of driving I need to do today?

Having read the forums, I am aware that my itinerary does very little justice (if any infact) to this beautiful part of the world but for the time being a week is the most I can spend at the moment and any feeback you may have will be sincerely appreciated.

Thanks

Chicago's North...
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
6,593 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Feedback on Canadian Rockies itinerary

the only legs of your itinerary that i'm familiar with is the glacier and banff/jasper portions... and i can tell you, glacier alone deserves at least 2 days, not just a quick drivethru.... in fact, that day, tuesday, is gonna be a lonnnnnnng day, without seeing much of anything..... just from glacier to banff alone is a 5 hour drive..... oops, i just realized, there's a glacier NP in BC; i was thinking the one in the USA on the canadian border..... my bad, but at any rate, as long as you're in the area, the USA glacier /waterton NP's are definitely worth the detour, IF you have an extra coupla days to spare.....

banff/jasper is one of the most awesome areas on the planet, therefore it deserves AT LEAST 3-4 days, not just an overniter drivethru.....

near yoho NP, check out the spiral railroad tunnels... a cool little stop off, especially if you're a rail fan.... along the icefields parkway, check out, i mean drive up to and walk on, the Athabasca glacier....

you have some awesome sights in you're itinerary, including some that are relatively close by.... don't sell yourselves short by skimming over these places..... at least TRY to budget more days for this trip.

EDW
Warrington, England
Level Contributor
246 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Feedback on Canadian Rockies itinerary

Have you already booked your flights, or could you consider flying into Calgary rather than Vancouver? This would enable you to cut down on the driving considerably and concentrate on the Banff, Jasper, Icefields Parkway areas, which deserve so much more time than you are currently able to give them. If you do decide to stick with Vancouver, then you would have to leave Clearwater extremely early, as MapQuest suggests it is about a 5 hour drive and you would probably need to be at the airport by 10.30am, having dropped the car off first. Kamloops is a bit nearer, but not substantially so, but maybe others could suggest an alternative (we have stayed in Clearwater, but on our way from Whistler to Jasper, not the return journey).

Icefields Parkway has a lot of very worthwhile stops - we managed to see many of them on the drive between Jasper and Banff, but we saw those nearest Jasper (Athabasca Falls and Sunwapta Falls while staying in Jasper). Another place worth visiting from Jasper is Maligne Lake, which was one of my favourites from our visit to the Rockies.

3. Re: Feedback on Canadian Rockies itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 November 2014, 05:16