We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

vegas base + road trip...possible?

England
Level Contributor
54 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
vegas base + road trip...possible?

Hi ta's!!!

My partner and I are looking to do a potential road trip in summer 2014.

The problem we have is the cost at the moment...we were originally hoping to fly to san Francisco and travel down to L.A. via las vegas, Yosemite and death valley.

However I have managed to find a good priced deal for2 weeks in las vegas. My question is what would be a possible itinery to make the most of our being in that part of the world but being based in Vegas?

We would love to see the national parks and do love beaches so think we are going to have to compromise on somethings on this break! Other things we love is eating out and long walks

I know this is a long post and will probably annoy some of you but if you think you can help please post!!

Thanks all

Shell x

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
56,535 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: vegas base + road trip...possible?

You want to stay in Las Vegas and do day trips?

Of course it will be cheaper to stay in Las Vegas in summer. It's hot, hot, hot. Some folks go to Las Vegas every year and enjoy the heat along with a few shows, dining out, & some gambling. But that's a very different vacation than a road trip.

If budget is a big concern, I think folks here would be happy to help you build a road trip with low cost lodgings.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
51,385 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: vegas base + road trip...possible?

>>>fly to san Francisco and travel down to L.A. via las vegas, Yosemite and death valley<<<

You wouldn't travel to LA via Las Vegas, Yosemite or Death Valley as none are on the way and some are in opposite directions of each other. Look a the map below, that is normally how you would hit those sites. Start in SF end in LA.

http://goo.gl/maps/e2yrj

Las Vegas isn't a place to "base" yourself for day trips. Yosemite is like 400 miles away, the beach in LA, 300 miles away and even Furnace Creek (Death Valley) is like a two hour drive and in summer, it just blazing hot. So hot you can barely imagine it.

There are some sights to see in the LV area, Hoover Dam, Mt Charleston, etc, but I think you'd run out of sights to see pretty quickly.

If you want to see Yosemite, LA etc, you need a better plan :)

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
19,073 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: vegas base + road trip...possible?

Hi

Have you booked so you are now committed to spending a whole week based in Vegas with just day trips out of the city?

There are lots of day trips you can easily do from Las Vegas, but none include beaches unless you count Lake Mead. The easiest national park to reach would be Death Valley, stinking hot in summer. Grand Canyon is definately worth reaching from LV, but you'd be better off spending the night there, or at least, if on a seriously tight budget, perhaps in Tusayan.

Yosemite, and the cities of LA and SF and the Pacific coast are not day trips at all!

SWT

England
Level Contributor
54 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: vegas base + road trip...possible?

Hi all,

you raise good points and can see my inexperience with this part of the world.

We don't have anything booked yet so am open to change and any suggestions would be welcome.

It appears that my idea of saving pennies and basing ourselves in Las Vegas has fallen flat.

Thanks for the map link Scott - very helpful and a good place to begin, again!

Back to the drawing board I go!!

Thanks all,

Shell

Bodrum City, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Gumbet
Level Contributor
5,573 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: vegas base + road trip...possible?

Hi Shell, my friend and I are in the process of planning a road trip next year. We found it was cheaper to fly into Las Vegas rather than San Francisco or Los Angeles. Our plan is to have four nights in Las Vegas (this stay will include a day trip to see the Grand Canyon - it will be a long day but it was the only way we could fit it into our plans). We will then hire a car for four days and make our way on the first day to Death Valley and stay there overnight. Then we will gave a night in Bishop, visit Yosemite and another overnight in Oakland. We know this will be a very busy 3/4 days but it was the only way we could fit it into our plans.

We will then drive to San Francisco and drop off the hire car. We are staying for four nights in San Francisco and then taking the train to Los Angeles, where will spend another four nights (our plans for this section of the trip include Alcatraz, city tour of both SF and LA, Universal Studios). Finally we will get the bus back to Las Vegas for an overnight stay before the flight home.

I know our plans aren't perfect but when you haven't got much time and want to see as much as we do, then some places just have to be paid a flying visit. I just wanted to show how it can be done with some careful planning.

Hope you manage to sort something out.

Jak xx

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
56,535 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: vegas base + road trip...possible?

Hi again Shell

I modified scottca's map to include some of the classic "best bits" of California as well as the scenic drives in Yosemite and in Death Valley. http://goo.gl/maps/kwLH3

There are several other ways to build your itinerary, but with only 2 weeks you'll have to make some sacrifices. The Top Questions on the California page has some itinerary ideas that are mostly focused on CA.

England
Level Contributor
54 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: vegas base + road trip...possible?

Wow thanks Jak!! looks like you have a great plan - brilliant to see how someone else has planned their trip!

Pacific - fantastic help also. I love the map and am printing out!

For now I am off to do some more research but u guys have helped massively and given me a great foundation to build on.

Thanks all

x

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: vegas base + road trip...possible?

Getting to GCNP from Vegas by bus in one day is a PITA. You'll be in the bus for at least 10 hours and limited time at the rim. It's the cheapest option all right but you'll miss highlights at the rim like sunset, stargazing and sunrise.

Bodrum City, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Gumbet
Level Contributor
5,573 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: vegas base + road trip...possible?

I know Tet14 and if we were planning it again, we would look at another option ... but hey ho, this time we will just have to endure the long bus ride and the short time there. I am looking on the bright side, at least I will have been!!

This is my first trip to the US so trying to fit everything in has been a pain ... but it may be the last trip as well unless I win the lottery so I have to try and make the most of it!

Jak xx

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: vegas base + road trip...possible?

I agree, better by bus than totally skipping it and hopefully the bus will also stop at Hoover Dam but you can get to Hoover Dam yourself from Vegas pretty easy. Las Vegas has some great places around it like red Rock Canyon, Valley of Fire and Lake Mead.