We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Size of rental vehicle for 4 adults

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Topic
Size of rental vehicle for 4 adults

Hi, We are a family of 4 adults - mum dad & 18 & 21 year old girls. We will be driving from Las Vegas to Grand Canyon and then back to LA on to San Diego, up to LA and on to SF. At present we have hired a Midsized SUV. I am just not sure whether this will give us enough luggage space I am expecting that we will probably have 4 goodsized suitcases and possibly some cabin bags. We have so much luggage as we are doing 43 nights and will be going from the extremes of Florida Keys to Niagara Falls so need to pack for all sorts of whether conditions. The girls are happy enough to sit closer together and we can then fold down one of the rear seats for extra luggage space. I am just not sure whether we would be better off hiring a Standard SUV. The midsized options are Nitros, Escape, RAV4, Jeep Liberties and the standard options are Equinox, Envoy, Explorer, Kia Sorrento, Jeep Grand Cherokee, Toyota 4Runner. For other parts of our travels we will stick with the Midsized as we are only using the car for a couple of days at a time but for this part of the trip we will be using the car for 21 days. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
11,765 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Size of rental vehicle for 4 adults

Hi

I suggest you take look at a "minivan" usually a Dodge Caravan or Chrysler version in your research. You will not need SUV/AWD capabilities in the area that you are visiting. www.chrysler.com/en/town-country/touringl/

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Size of rental vehicle for 4 adults

You are right Cbaarch, we dont need the awd/suv but I was thinking that the cost of a minivan would be a lot higher than the suv. We might have to check that out.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Size of rental vehicle for 4 adults

Rent a standard or full size SUV or a mini van. I prefer the SUVs and consider a mini van a "soccermoms car" but that's just me ;) A car like a Ford Explorer will be fine.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Size of rental vehicle for 4 adults

Yes my partner and girls aren't so keen on the minivan either - we are thinking that the standard SUV should be ok - considering that other than the drive between LV and SD (1 day) and then from LA to SF (2 days) will be the only times that we will all be in the car with our luggage. :)

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,127 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Size of rental vehicle for 4 adults

mid-sized too small particularly depending on what you get. Jeep has very limited luggage space. Best to go with a standard size, agreed.

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
18,832 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Size of rental vehicle for 4 adults

Hi

Lots of great advice already. Most folk seem to prefer SUVs to minivans, but price may be a deciding factor. However, what I'd add is that you should make sure the car you book is large enough for your needs at the time of booking. Having to go back to the rental desk when you pick it up to negotiate a larger car when you find you can't get all your luggage in will always cost lots more.

Also, the frequent and good advice on this forum recommends that you have a vehicle where you can get all your luggage in the boot/trunk so that you don't have it on show on the back seat, and with back seat passengers, you are still likely to need extra space to store snacks or picnic foods as you travel (just pick up a cheap Esky on arrival, don't lug one over!).

If you wish general travel advice, please share your travel plans as you have a long, possibly complicated trip, and we can make further suggestions.

Have a great trip,

SWT

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Size of rental vehicle for 4 adults

Think a Toyota 4Runner is a Kluger in Australia and a Ford Explorer is a Territory. We rented both cars in Australia but liked the Territory better. Asking for an "Esky" in the USA and people will only stare at you. Called a cooler in the USA -lol-

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Size of rental vehicle for 4 adults

k, I see on some of your other forum posts that you are traveling in February. I assume this time frame is the same for this trip to GCNP, right? I would forgo a minivan in winter & go with your reserved awd or 4wd SUV.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,729 posts
1,024 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Size of rental vehicle for 4 adults

Standard SUV.

I will also say (as a moderately heavy packer myself) , that if you pack everything, then take half of it out and leave it at home, you'll still have plenty of clothes. Nearly all mid range motels have washers and dryers. Plus you'll be buying clothes as you go along, guaranteed ;-)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Size of rental vehicle for 4 adults

Gee - some really great responses there. In regard to the timing of our trip we will making the run from LV to GC in mid January. To give you a guide of our itinerary - (which is all booked now) - here goes.

Arrive in the US on the 21st December

5 nights Breckenridge

1 night Daytona - drive nascar track

1 night Miami (near airport) to visit everglades and airboat trip

2 nights Long Key (Florida Keys)

1 night Miami

5 nights Orlando - (my daughter is currently working for Disney world - so picking her up)

5 nights NYC

2 night Niagara Falls

1 night Newburgh

3 nights New Orleans

1 night GC

4 nights LV

4 nights San Diego

3 nights Anaheim

5 nights LA

1 night Monterey

2 nights SF

and fly home on at 10.30pm on the 5th Feb.

As my daughter has been living the US for the past 5 months we are going to try and send some of her stuff home first which will help the luggage situation a little bit. Thanks so much Tet14 for the advice on the cross reference between your cars and ours. We do know some Aussies that own these cars back here that we can have a test run with. I am unsure whether the SUV that we will hire will have a cargo cover or not. If not it will mean that our luggage will be on display :(. For the first 10 days we are only hiring a Toyota Corolla as there will only be 3 of us. We do not have a car for NYC and will be picking up a Midsized SUV for driving from Niagara Falls back to EWR before heading to New Orleans. We will also have the midsized for New Orleans as we will only have the luggage in the car from the airport to the hotel and back. We were deciding whether to give ourselves some more space for the 2nd half of the trip when we will possibly be accumulating more stuff and also we have the car for 21 days. We will definitely being trying to keep the luggage to a minimum but as you can see by the itinerary we will be running into some quite different weather. We have decided that we will be picking up a small cooler just to keep some snacks and lunches to cut down on the take out food front. Hopefully I have not talked off your ears and any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers