We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

January 2014 - 8 days LA to Jackson Hole

Mosman, New South...
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
January 2014 - 8 days LA to Jackson Hole

Hi,

Travelling from Australia soon for 5 weeks starting December 23. Family with 3 kids 6,10,11 who are good travellers, used to long Aussie outback trips etc. I’m renting standard size SUV for the whole time. Basically 3 weeks touring and then 2 weeks skiing. I’ve been to US skiing a number of times , so comfortable with winter temps etc.

I’m ok with west coast plan. Arrive SF - 3 nights, drive coast road to LA – 2 nights, Disneyland- 3 nights, Hollywood universal-2 nights.

I plan to be in Jackson Hole WY eight(8) nights after leaving LA. I was thinking 3 nights Las Vegas with a helicopter flight to Grand Canyon and then drive up through Utah parks (Zion, Bryce, Moab) to SLC and onto JH. But now realise helicopter tours only go to less scenic west rim, so looking maybe drive Grand Canyon south rim the then east around to Zion. Or could do plane flight to south rim and back to LV. Of course the planned miles are stacking up and winter weather means I need to be flexible with itinerary.

With winter temps planning only to do scenic drive loops at parks and short lookout walks.

What do you think? I'm keen to hear ideas and opinions.

My current plan Day, Stay, Do

1, LV, morning LA, PM drive to LV

2, LV, helicopter GC, evening show

3, LV, explore

4, Springdale, 2.5 hr drive, see Zion

5, Hanksville, 5.5 hr drive, see Bryce, Capitol reef

6, Moab, 1.75 hr drive, see Arches, Canyons

7, SLC, 4hr drive

8, JH, 5hr drive

Cheers,

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: January 2014 - 8 days LA to Jackson Hole

Hi and welcome to the forum

If you don't mind long drives I suggest to drive between Los Angeles and Grand Canyon first starting very early. That will be 8-9 hours n the road and that time of year snow and ice can play a role. An overnight stay at the rim will enhance your visit. Then drive to las Vegas next day and stop at places for R66 and Hoover Dam.

Your time for Moab really is far too short with only a part of the day there. it's 3 hours between Las Vegas and Zion and you'll lose one hour for timedifference.

Zion to Hanksville in 5.5 hours? This is one of the most scenic drives in the country via ut9 and ut12 and there are tons of must stop places not to mention Capitol reef NP.

Maybe add a day to Zion, stay overnight Bryce and make it to SLC from Bryce and leave Moab for another trip.

Tet

Mosman, New South...
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: January 2014 - 8 days LA to Jackson Hole

Hi, Thanks for the welcome. You are right about Moab, its too far east and I can see its quite a drive inside the park to the formations. I like the LA-GC idea and then LV...does break up the consecutive days of driving.

Do you recommend driving route 66 Seligman to Kingman OR visiting museum in Kingman? I'll do some more research. cheers,

ps: like your gentle advice Tet14..I looked at your post a day or so ago to an Irish couple planning to drive Sydney to Cape Trib. in January. Far North Queensland in the WET season...no thanks!

LOL probably similar me driving UT, WY January. But I do love skiing Jackson Hole, long time since I last there.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: January 2014 - 8 days LA to Jackson Hole

Yes, I'd recommend the drive between Seligman (must stop) and Kingman with a stop at Hackberry (A Vette standing outside). Also Kingman's Museum and visitor center is well worth visiting and if you want something to eat there's Mr. D'z right across the street (Andy Devine) best part of R66 is Kingman via Sitgreaves Pass to Oatman along Cool Springs but that will be a several hours detour on the way to Las Vegas. If you take 93 there's Chloride, an old mining town and you can get some local color and a drink at Digger Dave's.

Well, I'd rather drive to Jackson than drive to Cape Trib in the Wet. Btw, must have seen at least some of Mosman because for our Sydney visits we stayed Manly and Kirribilli... Took the ferry between Manly and Circular Quay but also drove and we spent a full day on a friend's yacht in the harbor and that was fantastic!!.

Tet

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
53,958 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: January 2014 - 8 days LA to Jackson Hole

What ever you do, you do not want to do a helicopter ride from Las Vegas to the "Grand Canyon" because it is not going to Grand Canyon National Park and the iconic views you've seen in movies and on TV. They go to Grand Canyon West.

Do read the discussions of the North & South Rims in the national park vs the west rim on the Indian reservation.

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g143028-i157-Grand…

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: January 2014 - 8 days LA to Jackson Hole

Just that North Rim will be closed that time of year.

Mosman, New South...
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: January 2014 - 8 days LA to Jackson Hole

yes, nearly booked helicopter from LV. Lucky I came to tripadvisor! Will stick to SOUTH rim.

Yes, Tet you would have seen parts of Mosman. For sure it's a great place to live. Always telling my kids how lucky they are.

7. Re: January 2014 - 8 days LA to Jackson Hole

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 November 2014, 06:19