We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Las Vegas-Aspen-Las Vegas in 10 Days

Rome, Italy
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Las Vegas-Aspen-Las Vegas in 10 Days

Hi there everybody!

Me and two friends of mine (we're all in our mid 20's) are coming straight from Italy to do a 10-day "Christmas Holiday" road trip, the starting and ending point being Las Vegas and the turning point being Aspen, Colorado.

So basically our only fixed points are: Las Vegas on the 21st of December, Aspen on the 24th and 25th of December and Vegas again on the 31st of December.

The three of us don't mind long hours at the wheel and we're interested in exploring as much as Nature can offer on (and off) our way (saving the hustle and bustle for Aspen and LV).

We are going to drive in a standard AWD SUV (most probably a Grand Cherokee) so also dirt tracks would definitely do.

I made a attempt at drafting a very, very rough itineray by flagging the attractions I randomly heard of: http://goo.gl/uqr4I6

We were planning to book only our stays in LV and Aspen and dropping by at motels or whatever we can find on the road for the remaining nights. Would it be a sensible option? The idea is to keep it more frugal on the way (40-50$ per night per room, if possible and local honest diners will make the deal) and "live the dream" in Aspen and LV.

Giving our very limited knowledge (a.k.a. close to zero) of the area, any suggestion on must see places, off-the-path attractions, top driving tips on such roads, eat&drink, any possible problems etc would be immensely appreciated.

Many thanks

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
17,220 posts
395 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Las Vegas-Aspen-Las Vegas in 10 Days

Pretty aggressive trip but do-able. You can make Moab from Las Vegas in a day. And, you should be able to stay in your price range for a low end motel at that time of year. But that's about the only place you'll hit that price. Check the Bowen Motel in Moab. Drive to Aspen is a good part of the day. In Aspen prices will be significantly higher. Just finding something over Christmas will be the challenge. Look down valley to Basalt and other smaller communities to save money. You have Colorado 133 mapped out from Carbondale to Delta. It's closed in winter. Go back up to I-70 and head south in Grand Junction. Long route back and you'll have trouble staying in your hotel price range.

Have fun.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Las Vegas-Aspen-Las Vegas in 10 Days

You also mapped out driving San Juan Skyway 550 (Million dollar hw) between Montrose and Durango. That road is twisty, partly without guardrails and goes over 11.000' high passes. Road can be closed as well with snow and prob chains needed and if you need chains I would not go that way. Maybe dull but easiest is to drive back to Moab and continue to Monument Valley and Grand Canyon after that. Another day Moab won't hurt.. From Moab take ut128 to I70 for most scenic road. And between Las Vegas and Moab don't forget there are no pumps between Salina and Green River for 110 miles

No need to go to Fagstaff. Take 163 through Monument Valley to 160 to 89 to Cameron (stop at the Trading Post) and enter GC via its east entrance. No cheap lodging but you may try Bright Angel Lodge right at the rim. Leave Gc by its south entrance and stop at places for R66 (Seligman) and Hoover Dam before Vegas.

Tet

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
19,091 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Las Vegas-Aspen-Las Vegas in 10 Days

Hi

Welcome to the Road Trips forum!

Do you have reservations in Aspen for Christmas? Prices are through the roof there for most lodging over Christmas and many places have a 3 night minimum stay!

As already said, more than one part of your chosen routes are closed in winter. Others are very much weather dependent. You really need to watch weather and traffic reports for all of your trip, especially for Colorado. Here's the link for the Colorado info:

http://www.cotrip.org/roadConditions.htm

SWT

4. Re: Las Vegas-Aspen-Las Vegas in 10 Days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 November 2014, 05:17