We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road trip west coast USA July 2014

Tongeren, Belgium
Level Contributor
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Road trip west coast USA July 2014

hello,

we are planning a road trip of three weeks, somewere July 2014. I've done the trip way back in 1998 with a car and tent/motels but found it ideal for an RV. so now we are planning to do this trip by RV.

I've read on this forum that you should book the NP campgrounds well in advance. In fact I think I'm already to late for some parks like Yosemite.

But, my question concerns the 'other' campgrounds. Do we have to book everything beforehand?

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
6,223 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road trip west coast USA July 2014

Yosemite, Yellowstone and Grand Canyon are the three that I'm aware of that are the type to fill up many months in advance for the summer, but there may be more. Really, with any NPS campground, you cannot expect to just show up and get a space, especially in July. If your route is set, then it's best to reserve in advance everywhere. The price is not going to go down.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
60,237 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road trip west coast USA July 2014

>>Do we have to book everything beforehand?<<

Not necessarily. July is incredibly busy, but the very high priced RV Parks may have availability at the last minute. Not everyone can afford a rental RV, lots of gasoline, rental linen packs, AND $75-90 per night for a site at a private RV Park.

State Park campgrounds should definitely be booked in advance. I'd recommend making reservations for every campground as you're planning to travel in peak season.

Start with the RV info in the Top Questions on the right side of the page. " Should I rent an RV to save money on a road trip?" There are several good links at the bottom of that article including one about finding places to stay in your RV.

Yosemite campground reservations open about 4 months in advance, at 7 am Pacific Time on the 15th of each month. Sites are all reserved within a few minutes. RV sites are gone even faster. More info on the Yosemite forum page and on the Yosemite NPS website.

Trailer Village at the South Rim of Grand Canyon NP is run by a concessionaire and has available reservations.

I recommend sharing your proposed itinerary here. We can offer ideas to modify it to better match your travel style, road conditions, and seasonal beauty.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road trip west coast USA July 2014

Right. Please post you itinerary. I have no idea what route you are going to follow. it will be tough to plan Yosemite, GC and Yellowstone all in 3 weeks.

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
20,864 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road trip west coast USA July 2014

Hi

Yes please share your travel plans to ensure it really is ideal for the RV based trip you plan over 3 weeks.

Also, you mention July. Do know that the Fourth of July is a BIG holiday in the USA, so be prepared! You will certainly need any kind of accommodation or campground booked for then and road traffic is likely to be busier.

SWT

5. Re: Road trip west coast USA July 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 December 2014, 05:17