We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Phoenix/Yellowstone/Phoenix

guildford
Level Contributor
43 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Phoenix/Yellowstone/Phoenix

My wife and I from the UKare planning a four week road trip in September and have so worked out the following itinerary:-

Phoenix to Monument Valley 1 night

MV to Moab 3 nights

Moab to Vail ( or similar ) 2 nights

Vail to Cheyenne 1 night

Cheyenne to Cody 2 nights

Cody to Yellowstone 4 nights

YS to Grand Tetons 3 nights

GT to Salt Lake City 2 nights

SLC to Las Vegas 3 nights

Las Vegas to Phoenix 2 nights

Is this feasible and where do you suggest we spend the other 6 nights ? But we do not want to add too many more miles, we are after all on holiday.

Are any of the above legs too long to be done comfortably in one day,(say 7 hours driving max)?

We have lived in the US so are used to the driving conditions.

We have been to the Grand Canyon,Mesa Verde, Petrified Forest,Painted Desert and Sedona. Should we spend more time in Wyoming (or Rocky Mountain National Park where we have not been for over 30 years) ?

Most grateful for your help and advice.

Merida, Yucatan
Level Contributor
1,723 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Phoenix/Yellowstone/Phoenix

One very good option is to spend a night or two at Zion NP after you leave SLC. In addition to being very beautiful it also has a lot of hiking options, and plenty of those are easy, flat walks. Bryce Canyon NP is also not too far away from Zion. The hoodoos need to be seen to be appreciated.

The Arizona stretches of Route 66 are another option. I'm sure Tet will fill you in on those.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
28,511 posts
419 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Phoenix/Yellowstone/Phoenix

Have done a number of road trips to the west- in fact just did one to Yellowstone in mid September. Some general thoughts.

Vail is a nice town and we stopped there in September 2012 on our way to Arches NP but not a lot to see and do imo.

I would rather head to the Rocky Mt. NP for scenery or head north into Wyoming from Moab or Grand Junction, CO. Grand Junction has the CO National Monument.

Cheyenne is the capital and has a nice museum but not my favorite area of the state.

We love Cody and there is much to see and do there.

Also might like to stop in Lander, WY. We loved staying there, going to Sinks Canyon SP, seeing Independence Rock and eating at the Gannett Grill.

Tet and others on the forum have made many trips to the west.

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
20,102 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Phoenix/Yellowstone/Phoenix

I would add at least another night in the Yellowstone area. You can leave Cody heading north out of town on Chief Joseph Scenic Highway to Beartooth Highway. Drive Beartooth Highway to Red Lodge for lunch, then back track over Beartooth entering Yellowstone thru the NE entrance.

http://beartoothhighway.com/index.html

Four nights in Yellowstone is just 3 days, so really you are at the minimum there. It kind of depends on what you like to do. If you want to just do the high spots you can skim over them in your 3 touring days, if you want to add in some hikes, you can add more time there.

You could also consider going from Cheyenne east to the Black Hills area to see Devil's Tower, Mt Rushmore, Custer State Park and Badlands. It will be a day's drive from the Black Hills area to Cody.

If you have an interest in Western History, you can also divert up to Little Big Horn Battlefield before you go to Cody.

Pam

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
6,693 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Phoenix/Yellowstone/Phoenix

I suggest driving up the Parks on the 191 & returning on the 89 ... carracar

guildford
Level Contributor
43 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Phoenix/Yellowstone/Phoenix

Yes thanks,Zion seems a good idea.

guildford
Level Contributor
43 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Phoenix/Yellowstone/Phoenix

Many thanks Pam,the black Hills also seem a great idea. I hope we are not taking on too much.

Krgds,Ken

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Phoenix/Yellowstone/Phoenix

With 4 weeks I suggest something like this:

1. Arr Phx

2. Phx-Monument Valley (Walnut Canyon, Sunset Crater, Wupatki, Cameron Trading Post and Navajo NM on the way. Make a reservation in MV either at The View or Goulding's Lodge. You won't be able to see all places on the way in one day but at least take the Sunset Crater, Painted desert, Wupatki loop

3. MV to Moab via Mexican Hat (milemarker 13 stop) Gooseneck SP, Moki Dugway, Edge of the Cedars, Newspaper Rock)

4,5: Moab

6. Moab-ut128-Cisco (semi ghosttown) I70-Riffle, Craig-Lander (Pam already gave you options there)

7. Lander via Wind River canyon to Thermopolis and on to Cody

8. Cody (Buffalo Bill Museums, BB State Park, Night rodeo)

9. Via Chief Joseph hw and up and down Beartooth (To Rock Creek vista and back) and via Cooke City and Lamar Valley into Yell.

10,11,12,13: Yell

14. Yell-GTNP

15. GTNP

16. GTNP via Evanston to Park City.

17. Park City to Torrey for Capitol Reef NP

18. Torrey to Bryce via www.scenicbyway12.com

19. Bryce

20. Bryce-Zion

21. Zion

22. Zion via Valley of Fire SP and along Lake Mead (Northshore drive) to Las Vegas

23,24: Las Vegas

25. Las Vegas-Hoover Dam-Kingman-R66 between Kingman and Seligman-Prescott (Whiskey Row)

26. Prescott-Wickenburg (Vulture mines)-Phoenix

27: Phoenix/Scottdale

28. Home.

Now I left out Rocky Mountains NP and Black Hills/Badlands Yes, they are very worth visiting but not for a quick visit. You'll need you time, so if you want to add Utah NPs to this trip like Zion, Bryce, Capitol reef I think it's too much. Between Moab and Lander/Cody maybe check out Glenwood Springs. Lovely place and lots to do for 2 nights. And don't miss Colorado NM n the way. Zion also has enough to do to stay for 3 nights so maybe 3 nights Zion and one night Bryce. That's up to you.

Tet

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
28,511 posts
419 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Phoenix/Yellowstone/Phoenix

Great ideas from Tet!!!

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
20,067 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Phoenix/Yellowstone/Phoenix

Great route suggestions from Tet. Overall, from your first plan, I'd add more time in Yellowstone and Moab if you don't want to add miles, just longer in the better places.

SWT

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Phoenix/Yellowstone/Phoenix

I like that Tet has you heading up to Wy via Craig, rather than the original Vail...Denver congestion ..I-25... Cheyenne. I prefer the Craig route up.