We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry To Tasmania

Salzburg, Austria
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Ferry To Tasmania

Can I hire a car in Melbourne and take it to Tasmania on the ferry does anyone know?

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
22,191 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ferry To Tasmania

Hi titian

Welcome to the Road Trips forum.

I'm not an expert in this area, but I do know that most rental companies do not allow their cars on certain ferries, and others on any ferry. You'd need to check with the company you are considering renting with, by asking them directly or checking the Ts&Cs from their website, asking us on a forum without more details isn't really the best way to get the correct advice.

However, to find out which companies are known to allow their cars on ferries, you might ask on the Tasmania forum as the locals will have a better idea, I would expect,as it's likely to be a commonly asked question. Here's a link to the right forum:

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g255096-i887-Tasma…

SWT

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ferry To Tasmania

That's right. We landed in Melbourne once and visited Tasmania for 2 weeks after that. It was an easy and short flight to Hobart and we picked up our car there. Not allowed to use the ferry between Melbourne and Tassie with a rental car. (We rented with Hertz). Why do you want to go by ferry? You also can rent cars from Launceston and even Devonport.

Tet

Salzburg, Austria
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ferry To Tasmania

Thanks SWT I will look at the other blog but to be honest from the information you have both given me I think it is too much hassel, We have just over 2 weeks in Melbourne and the plan was to hire a car for the whole time, we did not want to have to stop then rehire for 2 days in Tasmania then have to go through the process of rehiring again when we got back to Melbourne.

Tet14 we wanted to go by ferry as we thought after the long flight it would be a relaxing change.

Thanks again, I appreciate you spending the time to reply, looks like we are giving Tasmania a miss this time.

T27

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
22,191 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ferry To Tasmania

Thanks for letting us know that you've decided to change your plans.

Oz is a huge country, you won't ever run out of stuff to do and see if you just stick to even just the state of Victoria, without adding a trip to Tassie, whether by ferry or otherwise.

Have you been to Oz before? Have you been to Melbourne before? With a 2 week trip, and a car booked for the whole trip, my first choice recommendation would be to take the Great Ocean road from Melbourne and continue up towards Adelaide and then loop back on the inland route via the Grampians, but there's also a ton of other enjoyable options. If you're stuck for ideas, just let us know. Just don't plan too long a drive for the first day or so until you're over the jetlag - it hits different folk in different ways!

SWT

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ferry To Tasmania

That's a pity. Tasmania really is beautiful but as SWT said. Enough to do in Victoria for 2 weeks. You even can get some Outback if you go in the Mildura direction. If you need more info just let us know.

Tet

Kamala, Thailand
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ferry To Tasmania

Hi Titian,

Don't miss Tasmania, it's amazing (if a little on the cool side, so pack appropriately!). We visited about 6 months ago and rented a car from a company called BC Rentals Melbourne http://www.bcrentals.com.au/ and they were happy to let me take the car on the Spirit of Tasmania. They're based in the city but they also picked us up from the airport (for under $50 I think) so we were able to drive straight down to Port Melbourne, drive on to the Spirit and drive straight on to our hotel. We stayed at the Fountainside Hotel in Hobart http://www.fountainside.com.au/ which had free parking and was a great location. Hobart is amazing with great restaurants and cafes. Definitely check out MONA (Museum of Old and New Art) if you like that sort of thing. They had some really interesting exhibits and we spent a glorious afternoon on the deck with a bottle of red and some nibbles. Can also recommend dinner at Signal Station Brasserie for amazing views with food to match. I'm sure you'll have a wonderful trip. We can't wait to go back!

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Victoria, Road Trips
Level Contributor
4,595 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ferry To Tasmania

There's a lot of info on the Melbourne forum about things to do. With 2 weeks, you could easily spend one in Melbourne/Victoria & one in Tasmania. You could still take the ferry as passengers & rent a car when you arrive in Tasmania (which will be a lot cheaper too).

You won't need a rental car in Melbourne itself as parking is expensive & public transport good. However, if you want to take a couple of days to drive the GOR & maybe go to Phillip Island, then a rental car is essential.

8. Re: Ferry To Tasmania

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 December 2014, 05:17