We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boston - Orlando

Leeds
Level Contributor
521 posts
Save Topic
Boston - Orlando

This is my first post in the road trip forum and I was hoping someone could help me.

In august 2015, along with my wife and 2 children I am planning a 4 week stay in the USA. The tentative plan is to fly to boston and spend 2 nights there; travel to westerly, RI and spend 2 nights there with my wife's family; have a night in or around New York; travel to Niagra Falls and spend 2 nights there; drive to Orlando with 2 overnight stops (1 probably at savannah in Georgia, the other as far as we can get on the first drive). We will then be meeting family in Orlando for about a 3 week stay.

My main question is what are the roads like on the way down. It looks like we will travel on the I90, I79, I77, I26 and I95. Will any of these be toll roads? What speed limits are we likely to be faced with and are we likely to encounter much traffic or congestion.

Thanks, Andrew

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
28,536 posts
419 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Boston - Orlando

I 95 is a good road and is heavily traveled throughout the year. In most places the speed limit is 70 mph. It is likely to have more traffic if traveling around a holiday.

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
6,054 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boston - Orlando

Not sure if you have a chance to adjust, but your trip is very rushed. A day in NYC, then off to Niagara? That's a lot! It's a long drive.

In response to your question though, I-90 is tolled from Boston to just before the Pennsylvania state line. Your rental car should have a transponder that will allow you to zip through though. That use of the transponder though will cost about $15 extra before the cost of tolls. However, if you're driving from NYC to Niagara, then there are a lot of tolls and it will be very helpful.

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
6,054 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Boston - Orlando

Also, I-77 is tolled from where you would join it in Charleston, WV to just north of the WV state line. The transponder will also work there.

Leeds
Level Contributor
521 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Boston - Orlando

We may skip New York altogether to be honest. But no, in terms of time we have 9 nights to get from boston to Orlando. I was hoping to miss out the niagra trip but my wife won't budge on that one!

Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Boston - Orlando

Here's a list of speed limits by state. Note they can differ by whether they're in urban or rural areas:

www.iihs.org/iihs/topics/laws/speedlimits

About halfway between Niagara and Savannah, there's Beckley, West Virginia. Nearby is the New River Gorge National River, and the Tamarack Center where local artists sell their creations.

http://www.nps.gov/neri/index.htm

http://www.tamarackwv.com/

If you were to head down the east side of the Appalachian Mountains, you might consider stopping in Charlottesville, Virginia to see Thomas Jefferson's home, Monticello.

http://www.monticello.org/

Zed

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
20,081 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Boston - Orlando

Given that, despite it seems yo may have quite a long trip, you aren't really prepared to devote much time to an enjoyable road trip and want to get most of those distances at quite a dash, please may I make a quite different proposal?

Renting a car from Boston and dropping it in Orlando will likely incur an unavoidable one way drop fee, US$250 at a minimum. Why not rent in Boston, do a loop with the time you have sticking to northern New England and visiting family, to include Niagara Falls as that's a done deal and you no longer will stop in NYC anyway. Return to Boston and fly down to Orlando.

Dashing down boring (and tolled) Interstates with potentially lots of traffic is no fun and doesn't allow you to see the nice places you dash past and the kids won't necessarily enjoy it. So give my alternative some thought.

However, if you are prepared to spend longer on the drive, there will be lots of interesting places to stop and visit.

SWT

7. Re: Boston - Orlando

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2014, 05:16