We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

California, Nevada, Arizona

aarhus
Level Contributor
19 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
California, Nevada, Arizona

We are a family of 7 people, youngest 14 and oldest 53 from Denmark and this will be our second holiday in this area together. I posted it in this forum as we will be doing a lot of driving and crossing states, hope that will be ok.

We will be flying in to LAX on the 7th of July and returning on the 26th of July, 2014. We will go straight to Vegas for 1 Night and to rent camping gear for Grand Canyon.

2. Night - Bright Angel Lodge - booked

3.night - Bright angel Camp - waiting to book permits - already booked meals and duffelservice.

4. And 5. Night - Caesars Palace, Vegas.

Then we will be leaving for a three Night ranch stay near Wells, NV

A long drive so 6. Night in Ely.

Night 7,8 and 9. on Ranch.

So far so good, this is all planned :-)

We then want to see the Redwoods and have booked at Requa Inn, Klamath.

Again, a long drive so maybe a stop over in Susanville for the 10. night? Or any suggestions?

We then have night 11. and 12. at Klamath.

I have already booked a flat in SF for the next 3 nights, but after reading a lot of posts it looks like we should make a stop between Klamath and SF - we want to drive as much as possible on 101 and 1- I would like to keep it open and be a little spontanuos as to where we spend the night but maybe around Fort Bragg or closer to SF depending on the driving time...is it completely impossible to find a place without reservations in July?our budget being around 200 pr room? And willing to separate the group if necessary ..

I have the same concern after reading posts for the last leg of our trip.

I have booked the last two nights at Venice beach, but want to keep the one night between SF and LA open...

I will be thankful for any input :-)

Best regards from Denmark.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
66,747 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: California, Nevada, Arizona

One night between SF and L.A.? Will you choose Yosemite NP or the Hwy 1 coast. Both of those are worthy of at least two nights.

I recommend making your decision and booking a night. July is prime tourism season and you don't have enough time to search after a late arrival (where ever you choose to go.)

-------------

If you haven't already experienced the Hwy 1 coast between SF and L.A. and you haven't visited Yosemite, I'd recommend trying to fit those in rather than spending hours & hours driving to Redwood NP. But it's your trip and you get to arrange it the way you want.

Some Coastal Redwoods in CA ........ parks.ca.gov/?page_id=24723

aarhus
Level Contributor
19 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: California, Nevada, Arizona

Thank you for your quick reply :-)

I am sorry, I forgot to mention that we have been on highway 1 between SF and LA on a previous trip. My husband has always dreamed of the Redwoods and people describe them more intense up North together with the whole area, which we have never visited.

I am having trouble with my family and the firm booking at the coast, they really like everything NOT to be planned, we are very different travel types on that area...

Regarding Yosemite we decided to wait with that till another time, When its not so crowded as in July.

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
23,354 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: California, Nevada, Arizona

Hi bizter

You have an unusual and interesting trip planned, clearly based on research, previous trip knowledge and the shared interests of your diverse group. However, and especially given the number of people involved, not booking accommodation ahead of time during the busy main summer holiday season may be a decision that you might regret, even if your natural inclination is to be flexible and impulsive for at least one night of your otherwise planned out trip. Further, as where you wish an unbooked night is somewehre midway between LA and SF, do be aware that there is not a huge choice of options along that road at the best of times.

SWT

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: California, Nevada, Arizona

It is possible to drive Las Vegas to Wells in one day but if you are planning an overnight stay don't miss the not too long detour to Great Basin NP. Also Cathedral Gorge SP is on your way. From Baker (at the entrance of Great Basin) to Ely is a one hours drive.

Klamath Falls is nowhere near Redwood NP. Susanville makes a good place to spend the night but you also can drive to Redding. Lassen Volcanic is right on the way between Susanville and Redding.

For exploring Redwood NP try lodging in Crescent City or Trinidad/Arcata/Eureka.

Between Eureka and SF you'll find Avenue of the Giants and Humboldt Redwoods SP at least as impressive as Redwood NP imo. Garberville is a good place to stay for that.

Tet

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
8,088 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: California, Nevada, Arizona

Did you have the same number of souls on past tours? What sort of vehicle are you proposing to rent to accommodate all passengers & luggage ?? Are you spending no time in San Francisco ??? carracar

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: California, Nevada, Arizona

Best of luck with your Bright Angel permits. Reserve on the first day available.

One of my most favorite backpacks is that one down into the Grand Canyon, camping at Bright Angel campground. Even with duffel service, I recommend everyone in the party has well-broken-ahead-of-time hiking footwear & carry lots & lots of water per person as it can be hot that time of summer as seen by average temperatures:

www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisit/hike-tips.htm

Have fun!

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: California, Nevada, Arizona

Also curious about the vehicle. With that many people and luggage maybe a 12 pax van but they are expensive and not easy to rent.

aarhus
Level Contributor
19 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: California, Nevada, Arizona

Thank you all for spending time on my Road trip :-) I do have concerns without booking between SF and LA, but besides coping with my spontanuos family, Im also having trouble finding a place that is not two night minimum.... maybe I have to choose between a night between Klamath ( not Falls but Klamath between Eureka and Crescent City) and SF and one night between SF and LA and instead drive through one and spend two nights at the other...?

We are a family of two parents(42 and 52) and four children ( 14-27) and a girlfriend to the son. We have hiked down GC once before together, with permits in order but no dinner reservations that time - only really hot and disgusting sandwiches carried from top to bottom....

We will stop at Ely to experience the great basin and stay at the Hotel Nevada - a hopefully nice contrast to Caesars, LV :-)

We will be booking a GMC Yukon XL from Hertz, LAX - we travel light and it looks more comfortable than the 12 seater van....? Our previous trip we had two cars but thought it will be fun ( and challenging) to stick together. We are spending 3 nights in SF and looking forward to everything....

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
66,747 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: California, Nevada, Arizona

If you want help finding lodging in California, ask on that forum.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: California, Nevada, Arizona

-lol- Yes, that will be quite a contrast to Ceasar's Palace. Hotel Nevada is unique for sure! It's a the start of Us50. "Loneliest Rd in America" and the have booklets for that but that stretch of us50 is not on your way. It's all "Basin and Range" country out there in Nevada..

Coming from Wells on I80 west of Elko you'll find California Trail Interpretive center, worth a stop.

Tet