We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road trip through France, Switzerland to Italy with dogs

Plymouth, United...
4 posts
Save Topic
Road trip through France, Switzerland to Italy with dogs

We are planning to travel to Naples,Italy , via eurotunnel, France and Switzerland, in mid jan14. We are driving with 2 dogs and looking to travel over approx 4-5 days. Can anyone suggest a good route, and recommend 2 or 3 short stopovers / 'must sees'. Travelling on a budget and hotels need to take dogs. We fancy a day skiing , but the rest is totally flexible. Thanks for any advice.

Edited: 22 December 2013, 19:08
Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road trip through France, Switzerland to Italy with dogs

Hi and welcome to the forum. For routes and more detailed info on that try www.viamichelin.com Are you familiar with winterdriving? Right at the moment many roads in Switserland and Austria are closed due to snow so that also always can happen in januari. Maybe check out Dolomites for your day of skiing

Tet

Plymouth, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Road trip through France, Switzerland to Italy with dogs

Thanks Tel,

Have been checking out viamichelin and bringfido.com to look at pet friendly hotels, which has given us a better start. Because of the likely weather , we were planning on keeping to main routes where possible, but wonder if anyone has any suggestions or can recommend a place to overnight / stay the day somewhere easily accessible from main route across the Alps where we can get a bit of skiing in; before we head on towards Milan and rest of the journey?

1st time travelling with the dogs, so little bit more restricted. I don't suppose anyone knows of a website that does all the route planning and pet friendly bookings for you lol??

Thanks again

Kim

Plymouth, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Road trip through France, Switzerland to Italy with dogs

Sorry Tet, - Just realised I misspelt your name

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road trip through France, Switzerland to Italy with dogs

Maybe drive via Chamonix at the foot of Mont Blanc. We're big fans of Chamonix although it's not the cheapest place to stay. Don't forget to buy a vignette driving through Switserland.

Newport, United...
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Road trip through France, Switzerland to Italy with dogs

I am curious as to the regulations when travelling with your dogs as I would like to do a very similar trip with my dog in the near future.

How restricted are you with travelling etc? What docs do you need for a dog?

If you find any pet friendly hotels I would appreciate a recommendation.

Many thanks in advance for any info.

Rob

Plymouth, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Road trip through France, Switzerland to Italy with dogs

Hi Rob,

You need to get a uk pet passport for dogs. Details on gov website, but pretty easy. Have been looking at bringfido.com for dog friendly hotels and seem pretty good, although yet to try them for real. Travel later this month

https://www.gov.uk/take-pet-abroad

Kim

London, England
Level Contributor
1,435 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Road trip through France, Switzerland to Italy with dogs

I'd post your enquiry on both the France and Italy pages forums too, but here's my input.

Can't comment on the dogs or the skiing, but when we've done this trip a few times, sometimes continuing further past Naples to Puglia, we tend to aim to start early each day, then stop for a late lunch and not drive again so that you're on the road for no more than 4-5 hours (possibly more the 1st day) and the trip then feels like a holiday.

Our typical trip and stopovers involve thrashing through France to Colmar (600km) near the swiss border, as it's a pretty, old town centre with cheap hotels nearby. You however might want to be a bit further west for the ski-resorts, and an alternative to the motorways could involve lesser roads with a couple of French stopovers; (we loved meandering through france to spain last year but went too far west to be of help for you).

We've then gone thru' Switzerland to Como (1000km), stopping in the past both in Como and Argegno up the lake-side (where we stayed 2 nights in a wonderful lakeside hotel with boat trips to Bellaggio, etc ).

We've then gone on to friends in Umbria near Lake Trasimeno (more boat trips- a pattern emerging here?) a further 400km or so. But you would probably want to visit some of the classic sites- I'd rate Rome as possibly too busy, but Florence or Siena are surely musts, and close to your route; not sure Pisa is worth the diversion. I also love Orvieto, a bit further south

But whatever the route, I envy you the trip!

8. Re: Road trip through France, Switzerland to Italy with dogs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 January 2015, 06:18