We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any suggestion for road trip from SF to Seattle?

Mountain View...
7 posts
Save Topic
Any suggestion for road trip from SF to Seattle?

I've been browsing the forum and saw several posts about road trips from SF to Seattle. But I haven't seen any traveling with young kids. Here is my situation. Really appreciate your input!

Schedule: really flexible, any time of the year, probably two weeks or even three weeks, for round trip.

Members: three kids, 7, 6 and 1.

First of all, should we do a road trip like this in the coming year? Or we should wait till they are a little bit older. They can definitely take 3 or 4 hours driving a day, but not a few days like that in a row.

We live in Bay Area, CA, so we don't have to stop in SF to see anything. We have relatives in Seattle, so we can take our time there. Not interested in winery or brewery. Not interested in big cities. Would like to have time for the kids to play around along the way, especially the younger two boys. Beach, pool, park, or zoo are great. Hiking has to be easy.

My daughter sometimes gets carsick. Any suggestion for that?

What time of the year will be good for us? Which stops should I take, for how long?

Thanks a lot!!

Fanny

Wednesbury, UK
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
14,331 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Any suggestion for road trip from SF to Seattle?

Hi Fanny.

Welcome to the forum and Merry Christmas to you and your family.

I'm not really qualified to give advice relating to a family trip like yours. There are some wonderful locations on that trip, giant trees in the Redwoods, rock pools, Banana Slugs and Big Elk in the rainforest on the Olympic Peninsular, and Volcanic stuff in Eastern Oregon and Northeastern CA, so I'm sure a great trip can be put together with help from the NW regulars who have probably had trips with kids in that area I'm sure.

For instance, with anyone who suffers from travel sickness I would not drive Hwy 1 up the coast north of Mendocino, way too many twists and turns.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any suggestion for road trip from SF to Seattle?

Long ago we took our kids that age on roadtrips around Europe and now my kids are doing the same with my grandchildren so why not? But I would take at least 3 weeks for a roundtrip like that and my kids always liked beaches best and you'll find plenty of them along the coast. 2 weeks won't be a leisurely trip esp as you also want to spend time with family in Seattle. Time of year? September will be a great time of year to travel this route but not sure the older kids have to be back to school. So maybe august? Will be busier but usually great weather.

Tet

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,023 posts
1,071 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any suggestion for road trip from SF to Seattle?

Hi, definitely three weeks if you have the time! Two weeks is really not enough when you'll want to limit your daily driving. The yearling won't get much out of the trip, of course, but the older children are not too young, IMO.

Hwy 101 is a good road. There are some short stretches that are winding, but they are few and far between anymore, and most are less than 2-3 miles long. Do not take Hwy 1 as it is much more winding.

There are many solutions for carsickness, ranging from Bonine to ginger to beahaviour changes, but it would be best to ask your doctor :-)

I would encourage you to post on the Redwood National Park forum (located in the California forum) as well as the Oregon and WAshington forums for more specific information.

tripadvisor.com/ListForums-g191-i3-United_St…

The ocean is cold in the northwest, but in summer it is warm enough for kids to play in the shallows. There are many places to walk on the beach and enjoy day use state parks.

4. Re: Any suggestion for road trip from SF to Seattle?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline with regards to harassment of another user. We will remove messages that include personal attacks or hostility directed at an individual user or group of users, threatening language or attempts to force a user to discontinue participation on our forums.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 December 2013, 21:47
Edited: 27 December 2013, 21:47
Mountain View...
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Any suggestion for road trip from SF to Seattle?

Thank you, everyone above to give me wonderful suggestion. I heard from friend who did road trip between North Cal. to Seattle that there's not much to see and I almost wanted to give up on this idea. Now I'm more interested in digging around and find more information. Thanks again for your help. Let me know if there is more I need to know!

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,008 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any suggestion for road trip from SF to Seattle?

" I heard from friend who did road trip between North Cal. to Seattle that there's not much to see and I almost wanted to give up on this idea." Trust me, folks on this forum are, for this trip, your better friends! :) Your friend probably drove I5 and never saw beyond the curb (so to speak).

Take three weeks if possible.

August/September.

Consider the comments by thrumylens, especially given your kids' ages. We experienced the same... Add the High Desert Museum to that list.

Oregon, Central/Bend Area

http://www.visitbend.com/

traveloregon.com/Explore-Oregon/Central-Oreg…

Mountain View...
7 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Any suggestion for road trip from SF to Seattle?

Great! Thanks! I'll trust you guys. :)

Hants, UK
Level Contributor
2,857 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Any suggestion for road trip from SF to Seattle?

If you go to San Louis Obispo check out the Maddona Hotel, it was fab.

We also stayed in a timber town I think it was Scots something the hotel and all the buildings we fab, all made from beautiful wood

9. Re: Any suggestion for road trip from SF to Seattle?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline with regards to harassment of another user. We will remove messages that include personal attacks or hostility directed at an individual user or group of users, threatening language or attempts to force a user to discontinue participation on our forums.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 December 2013, 13:12
Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
60,912 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Any suggestion for road trip from SF to Seattle?

I thought using the word "yearling" to refer to the youngest child in the travel group who is actually 1 year old to be a fun use of this cute word. It made perfect sense to me. And since I've been reading half-Brit's forum postings for several years, I know that it was meant kindly. That's the only way she posts ~ kindly.

Fanny ~ there are dozens of ways to build a fun trip between the Bay Area and Seattle. Do your older kids have any particular interests? Around that age, mine loved scrambling in lava caves, playing in the chilly ocean, visiting any park/playground that we saw, throwing rocks & sticks into streams/rivers/lakes, and quietly enjoying nature. How about your kids?