We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best scenic round trip route - DC to Niagara falls

Washington DC...
6 posts
Save Topic
Best scenic round trip route - DC to Niagara falls

We are planning to go for 5-6 days round trip from DC to Niagara falls round trip by car (2 people but only one driver). Which are best scenic routes on the way? I was considering : Gettysburg- Harrisburg- Susquehanna- Finger lakes-Niagara to get there. But the way back is still unclear. Shall we go all the way through Philadelphia (or Pittsburg)? What are good sites recommended to visit? What are options for making stopover and places for staying on budget (Motels or Airbnb)? Any other recommendations would be great.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Nassau
Level Contributor
4,708 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best scenic round trip route - DC to Niagara falls

The Susquehana/Finger Lakes route is a good choice. Corning NY is a good stop.

If you circle around through Erie Pa and down I79 to I76 (Pittsburgh), you can visit Fallingwater on the way back home.

http://www.fallingwater.org/

Edited: 26 December 2013, 16:55
Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best scenic round trip route - DC to Niagara falls

Avinash, welcome to TA and the road trips forum!

When are you planning to make this trip? How many days do you plan to spend at Niagara Falls?

Edited: 26 December 2013, 22:11
West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
74,329 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best scenic round trip route - DC to Niagara falls

Hi Avinash;

Do your plans include visiting the Canadian side of the Falls ?

Best Regards

Washington DC...
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best scenic round trip route - DC to Niagara falls

I am planning to start from tomorrow. May be a day in Niagara. Probably not Canadian side of Niagara fall.

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best scenic round trip route - DC to Niagara falls

The Phipps Conservatory and Botanical Gardens in Pittsburgh is one of the best in the U.S. and is beautifully decorated for Christmas.

Other very good Pittsburgh attractions include the Carnegie Museum of Natural History, the Heinz History Center (if you like history; although it's a superb Pittsburgh history museum, it's a great place to explore the evolution of the U.S.), the Andy Warhol Museum (especially if you like pop art and the 60s), the National Aviary, and the Donegal Incline. The latter offers a great cityscape of the Pittsburgh skyline as a backdrop to the birth of the Ohio River. It's open late in the evening.

Nearby Wheeling offers the popular Oglebay Resort Winter Festival of Lights, and a Cabela's superstore if you want to explore the American gun/outdoors culture.

The water flow at Niagara Falls at this time of year is reduced to 25 percent of the natural flow rate, compared to 50 percent for the day-time flow rate during the peak tourist season, and most attractions are closed. The best views are from Table Rock on the Canadian side of the falls.

Have a fun trip!

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
74,329 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best scenic round trip route - DC to Niagara falls

Hi Avinash;

I would strongly suggest reconsidering visiting the Canadian side. Why ?

• Just about every view YOU have seen of the Falls was taken from the Canadian side.

• Cleaner

• Safer

• Much more to see and do.

You may wish to read these previous posts;

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g154998-i97-k22090…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g48261-i182-k27921…

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g48261-i182-k351024…

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g48261-i182-k356661…

tripadvisor.ca/…35321186

Best Regards

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
74,329 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best scenic round trip route - DC to Niagara falls

Hi Avinash;

I should have added...

Most attractions in NF, NY are closed for the winter. Other than viewing the Falls, there is very little to do on the American side.

Best Regards

8. Re: Best scenic round trip route - DC to Niagara falls

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 December 2014, 05:17