We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beginings of a US road trip

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
95 posts
Save Topic
Beginings of a US road trip

Hey guys, I'm planning a road trip in the us and don't really know where to begin so I'm starting here! This is the info I have so far...there will be just two of us( my wife and I, both mid 20's) we will have 3weeks and are planning it for sept 2014. We're not sure weather to dive a route like Route 66 or pick places to visit and just drive to them, do you think we could drive from the west coast to the east coast in 3 weeks? We want to see as much as poss(we've only ever been to Orlando so want to see other parts/ proper America) any tips/info would be great as don't really know where to start, thanks

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
29,661 posts
431 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beginings of a US road trip

What are your interests??

wildlife, hiking, rafting and diverse scenery- Yellowstone and Tetons NP (could also include the Black Hills- Badlands NP, Mt. Rushmore, etc.).

hiking, desert like scenery, southwestern US, etc.- The Grand Circle- Arches NP, Monument Valley, Grand Canyon NP, Bryce and Zion NP.

cities and coastal areas-

(1) Pacific NW- Seattle, Portland, coast of Oregon and northern California- national parks, small towns, waterfalls, etc.

(2) NE- Boston, Porland, coast of Maine and mountains of VT and NH- national parks, small towns, lots of history, etc.

southern US- Civil War history, plantations, good food, music and scenery- Charleston, Savannah, Nashville, Memphis, Vicksburg, New Orleans, Great Smoky Mts. NP.

Just some ideas to get you started!!

Wednesbury, UK
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
14,154 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Beginings of a US road trip

Hi.

Maybe have a read through the Trip Report sticky at the top of the forum home page, and those in the Top Questions on the right. They will at least give you some ideas and examples of what others have done in a similar time period.

Once you have homed in on preference, we can help you develop it. Route66 in three weeks for instance is viable and there is a recent TR in there of just that. But, if wildlife and mountains appeal most then that trip is not really going to hit the spot.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beginings of a US road trip

Yes depends on your interests. We have done R66 both ways but never in one go. Took many years to see it all on separate trips. September is a great time to travel and 3 weeks between Chicago and Los Angeles will be fine with sidetrips www.historic66.com

We have done many cross country trips but had 8-12 weeks so I would not recommend it in 3 weeks. If you have never been out West I suggest to do the Grand Circle and maybe also add Yosemite, SF and the coast.

Must say we are desert buffs and can't get enough of them.

Tet

Wednesbury, UK
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
14,154 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Beginings of a US road trip

Tet.

I was thinking the southern and central CA loop out of SF, plus Vegas and GCNP and in 3 weeks a bit of southern Utah ( if the OP is happy with the driving and time in location), would be a good introduction to the West and Road Trips. It has a bit of everything but depends on interests etc.

Edited: 28 December 2013, 13:40
Ohio
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,499 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beginings of a US road trip

Utah, New Mexico, Colorado and Arizona with bits of Rt 66 in there for fun. I could spend 3 months there never mind 3 weeks. :)

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beginings of a US road trip

Yes, advantage of flying San Francisco is you don't need a car there. You also can consider to make it a one way trip like starting in SF and depart from Phoenix or Las Vegas. Rent the car with an European broker and no drop off charges between Ca, Nv and Az. Also a car rented in Califonia has a 2nd driver free by law.

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
95 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Beginings of a US road trip

Hey thanks for all ur replies. We are now thinking of a north/west road trip lasting for 2weeks. We would like to visit lake McDonald in Montana and thinking of ending up in California is this possible in 2weeks? Other than lake McDonald and LA is there anywhere else we must see? We've never been to the north west, what time of year would you say is best or any time to deffently avoid? Thanks in advance

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,939 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beginings of a US road trip

Hi Noviceneedshelp and welcome to TripAdvisor. Do you have access to a map of the USA or perhaps just the western states? I think it would help you visualize the distances as you plan your trip.

California is not part of the northwest, of course, unless you include the very far north. Is your idea to start at Glacier NP? Which city would you fly into? Where would you plan to end in California, as it's a very large state.

>>Other than lake McDonald and LA is there anywhere else we must see?<<

Oh my, you could spend 6 months in the northwest and still not see everything! Two weeks is barely enough time to travel from Montana to California - you'll miss a lot so you'll need to do some serious research ahead of time to include sights you are interested in.

September is a very good month to visit most of the USA :-)

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Beginings of a US road trip

Well, if you are interested in going to Glacier National Park for Lk McDonald, then Yellowstone National Park is only a good day's drive away.

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
95 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Beginings of a US road trip

We'd probably fly into Helena as that's the capital of Montana and go from there and we'd like to finish in LA. we could go the other way and start in LA and drive up to Montana but not sure what would be best,