We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grand Canyon to Yellowstone

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Grand Canyon to Yellowstone

Hello,

My friend and I are planning a road trip where part of the trip will be from Grand Canyon to Yellowstone, but I can't really find anything too interesting to see there...

The trip will be for a month where the (somewhat) fixed stops will be here:

San Francisco

San Diego

Grand Canyon / Antelope Canyon

Yellowstone

Glacier National Park

Seattle

Portland

and down the coast to S.F again

We want to go as direct as possible, I'm thinking doing it in 2 days, but would like to see whatever there is worth seeing, and we could take detours and stretch it for 3 days. We like small quirky towns, meeting locals, all kinds of different nature, weird, funny things...

We were thinking going through Rocky Mountain, but think it might take too much time...

So any ideas would be great... also if you have comments or idea for the rest of the trip, that's appreciated

We are 2 women 39 years from Denmark...

Thanks a lot!

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
28,071 posts
417 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grand Canyon to Yellowstone

First when is your trip?

Second some suggestions of places to visit between Grand Canyon and Yellowstone- Zion and Bryce NP, Monument Valley, Arches NP.

You will need a minimum of 3 day and more would be good in Yellowstone and be sure to add a day or two in the adjacent national park- the Grand Tetons.

It will take a full day to drive between Yellowstone and Glacier.

Visit Glacier when the GTTSR is fully open. Usually late June to third week of September.

Yes the RMNP would be out of your way imo but would be possible if flying into Denver and also doing Black Hills/Mt. Rushmore area of SD along with Yellowstone, etc.

Wednesbury, UK
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
13,553 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Grand Canyon to Yellowstone

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Well the whole of Utah is between the two, which contains some of the most iconic National Parks and unique locations in the whole of the West ( if not the World).

But in only three days you won't have time for all that, so maybe one night in Moab, for a glimpse of Arches NP, and a night,(or Zion and a drive through look at Bryce next day) and one around Salt Lake City, Park City or Vernal before the Tetons and Yellowstone.

A month is not a huge amount of time for that loop. Have you an outline plan so we can look at how your planning to split it up, so we can give better advice?

Edited: 03 January 2014, 18:17
Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
19,716 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grand Canyon to Yellowstone

Hi Dorthe

Welcome to the Road Trips forum.

Please may I ask, where did you get your information from and what are your interests? Have you used any type of guide book, or looked at this or other forums at all? I'm very surprised you found 'nothing interesting'!

As said, between Yellowstone and Grand Canyon are some of the most wonderful national parks of the whole of the USA, in my own view, and lots of other interesting areas for hiking, if you have the time and not too hot weather.

Yes, when do you travel? Please, if things are fixed in your itinerary, would you provide us with actual dates and locations as this will make it easier to fill in the gaps.

For info that covers the southern Utah and northern Arizona area, please read this useful link:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g28965-c177493/Utah:U…

Also, if you end up visiting a lot of national parks, may I suggest you buy the $80 pass to get you into all of them.

SWT

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grand Canyon to Yellowstone

Thanks a lot for your replies.

First of all we are travelling June 14 to July 15.

I have the guidebook Road Trip USA, but of course that one mostly tells about the routes they have planned. That’s why I didn’t realize we will be so close to those national Parks, but of course looking at the map again, I see that would be possible. Even if we don’t have too much time to stop, I’m sure the drive it self will be gorgeous?

I’m a little worried it will be too long as well, but we did a road trip last year, also a month and travelled 5009 miles, which I would have shortened down, knowing what I know now but it wasn’t too bad. (and I was the only driver, and will be again). And this will be a lot shorter compared, so I think it will be ok…

I was thinking something like:

Day 1 SF

Day 2 to drive to San Diego

Day 3-5 SD

Day 6 drive to Las Vegas (Maybe skip Vegas)

Day 7 Drive to Grand Canyon

Day 8 Antelope Canyon

Day 9 -11 Drive to Yellowstone

Day 12-13 Yellowstone

Day 14 Drive to Glacier/Missoula

Day 15 – 17 Glacier / Missoula (Missoula because I have a friend there)

Day 18 drive to Seattle

Day 19-21 Seattle

Day 22-23 Portland

Day 24-25 Medford (have friends there)

Day 25-26 drive to SF

Day 26-29 SF or just extra time for being a little spontaneous on the road

Nothing is set in stone, what we really want is all of the West Coast, but we don’t only want to do that.

We love the nature, and we do enjoy hiking, but a not experienced at all. And the most memorable parts of the last road trip really was meeting so many different people in small towns and since Denmark is very flat and mostly just fields, we are easily impressed by just about any other kind of nature ☺

From my last experience, I think the only hard part, was driving from Austin to San Diego just because it just had to be done and we only had day stops to see a few things (and it was after SXSW in Austin) the rest was fine. But please come with suggestions for another route, we have just started planning. The only thing fixed is arriving and departing from S.F from Denmark and we actually haven’t bought the tickets yet, but will next week...

Edited: 03 January 2014, 20:27
Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
28,071 posts
417 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grand Canyon to Yellowstone

Need more than 2 days to just to begin to see Yellowstone NP. I would do less time in Glacier and add it to Yellowstone but that is me because Glacier is a hikers paradise and we are not hikers.

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grand Canyon to Yellowstone

Glacier is also including visiting my friend in Missoula, that's why it's so many days, and also just to be at the same place for a few days. But we could do a day less there and then one more in Yellowstone. I know it's still not nearly enough, but at least we get to see it and we can always come back another time. But thanks for your opinion, I really appreciate it.

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Grand Canyon to Yellowstone

You drove straight Austin to San Diego???!!! Aaaaargh! We don't even like to drive straight Austin to Albuquerque LOL.

Drive into Yellowstone NP via Jackson, Wyoming & up through Grand Teton National Park, one of our most beautiful mountain ranges anywhere.

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Grand Canyon to Yellowstone

Haha, not straight, I mean we stopped to sleep and had a day in Saguaro, but it was mostly driving 8 hours a day, and that a lot in a dessert :)

I just talked to my friend, and we decided to just do the West Coast this time, then we have plenty of time and can be spontaneous. The national park will be next time, when we can plan it well in advance, book hotels and have a lot of time for each place.

Thank you so much for your replies, it helped me figure out what to do, or rather what not to do, and also gave me even more inspiration for our next road trip.

Looking forward to coming back to the US!

Wednesbury, UK
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
13,553 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Grand Canyon to Yellowstone

Hi again.

I'm afraid to say the timetable you have there is not really going to let you see all of the West Coast and certainly not some of the best locations on it.

You need at least another night, two would be better between SF and San Diego, if you want to drive Hwy 1 and the Big Sur and enjoy it. In a day you'll be limited to the 101 and I-5 and that's not the coast route.

A night between Portland and Medford would help also for a better look at the Oregon Coast, but with an early start you can see a bit if you take all day.

You will get a night around the Redwoods between Medford and SF.

Yosemite is another obvious omission, but without cutting down elsewhere, especialy on your friend time, that's going to be hard to fit in.

My 28 night suggestion.

SF 1 night or drive to Monterey if you feel confident to do it.

1 night Cambria down Big Sur.

2 nights SD.

2 nights Grand Canyon.

2 nights Moab ( see Antelope Canyon as a drive by, and brief look at Monument Valley on route)

1 night Vernal.

1 night Tetons.

3 nights Yellowstone.

3 nights Glacier

1 night Missoula.

2 nights Seattle.

1 nights Portland.

1 night Florence OR or Bandon.

1 night Medford.

1 night Trinidad or Mendocino.( drive through look at Redwoods).

3 nights SF.

26 nights. 2 to play with, soone night Yosemite after first night in SF and then to Monterey, or have a night at Zion ( again a drive by look at Antelope Canyon on route) and Bryce after GCNP maybe, or Page and Monument Valley?

Another week would make this a lot easier? ; ).

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Grand Canyon to Yellowstone

Thank you I will look more in to your route for sure. I wish we could take one more week, or actually 5 more weeks :)

We have been to Yosemite, so that one we can skip tis time in good conscious :)

Thank you! It's really helpful!