We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

USA Coast to Coast Roadtrip. stick to the border or not?

Southampton, United...
9 posts
Save Topic
USA Coast to Coast Roadtrip. stick to the border or not?

Hey guys!

been lurking for a while but have finally decided to make my first post!

Me and the Mrs are planning a Roadtrip from New York to Cali.

we were planning to travel for like 6 months.

We want to travel to all the big cities but also want to include things like the national parks and other sights.

we are having a debate whether it would make more sense to do a route like this:

gyazo.com/7c4b2828e972fe79f22a36acde9cf4e8

or

this:

gyazo.com/7c4b2828e972fe79f22a36acde9cf4e8

She's worried about the long drive north up through Oklahoma, Kansas and Nebraska.

me, not so much, i think no matter which route we take we will have to drive through alot of desert/cornfields for miles and miles. plus its all part of the experience right?

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
7,309 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: USA Coast to Coast Roadtrip. stick to the border or not?

your maps are the same. got another link? I don't like that swing over to Chicago and then back down to Florida. You're missing too much.

Edited: 07 January 2014, 21:48
Southampton, United...
9 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: USA Coast to Coast Roadtrip. stick to the border or not?

sorry pancho!

here you go!

gyazo.com/c792cd7ec731222d8a607de6bd603b41

Also bare in mind that these are extremely rough routes. the places the pins are in are just the cities we definitely want to see at this time. Feel free to suggest more cities or ways to adjust our route.

For the most part time and budget are not a problem so fire away..

Just want to get an idea of whether the round trip, (sticking close to the border) or the more "zig-zaggy" route is more prefferable. bearing in mind we would like to visit alot of the national parks..

cheers!

Henderson, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,385 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: USA Coast to Coast Roadtrip. stick to the border or not?

You will have a wonderful trip, no matter what route you choose... I suggest you kind of blend the two... use the once around the US, with sawtooth adventures into the center...

Neither route included Yellowstone... add Yellowstone... it is one of the most spectacular places on earth... a "hot spot" with geysers and mud pots, but also one of the greatest places to see wild animals on earth... frequently called the American Serengeti.

You also need to drive into southern Utah to see our national parks there... Zion, Brice, if possible all the way to Arches...

Randy

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,885 posts
1,049 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: USA Coast to Coast Roadtrip. stick to the border or not?

Cali is in Colombia ;-)

You will need to plan your trip carefully around the weather. Winter in the northern states is severe.

Also, on the west coast, you'd be best going right along the ocean, not inland.

Are you renting a car or . . . ?

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
19,581 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: USA Coast to Coast Roadtrip. stick to the border or not?

Yes, agree with adding Yellowstone and Grand Tetons. Many also like Glacier, but the main road thru there doesn't usually open til July. However, the route across the northern tier will be more strongly influenced by weather. If you are planning 6 months, I'm hoping you are thinking about May to October for the northern part but that will put you in the SW during very hot months.

Pam

(Editing to add...posting at the same time as half-Brit! Same thought on weather!)

Edited: 07 January 2014, 22:56
Southampton, United...
9 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: USA Coast to Coast Roadtrip. stick to the border or not?

Yes we are renting a car.

Yellowstone is already high up on our list of Must-See's!

As I said these are just rough guidelines based on the main cities we want to visit. It doesn't include the rest of the sites we have in mind of which we have a big list!!

We were planning on starting our trip in April and leaving around October.

Also would you suggest starting on the east or west coast?

Henderson, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,385 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: USA Coast to Coast Roadtrip. stick to the border or not?

Based on an April start, and heading south along the east coast, then west along (mostly) the bottom of the country, I suggest starting on the east coast...

You have time to have a big list... and have time to linger in a few places along the way to rest...

Randy

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
28,071 posts
417 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: USA Coast to Coast Roadtrip. stick to the border or not?

For southeast coast and the south April will be great. Let us know if you have questions!!

Southampton, United...
9 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: USA Coast to Coast Roadtrip. stick to the border or not?

Sure!

Is there a good place/thing to do on the 4th of July. Yeah that's right my birthday is the same day as Indepence day! Can't wait!

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,885 posts
1,049 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: USA Coast to Coast Roadtrip. stick to the border or not?

Just about every town and city, big and small, in the USA does *something* on July 4th! If you want a grand spectacle, arrange your route to be a big city.

If you want to experience small town America at its best with a parade, BBQ and possibly a "Miss Fireworks"(!) beauty pageant, then plan to be in a small town somewhere.