We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St Louis to Las Vegas -- Where to stop??

Missouri
Level Contributor
55 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
St Louis to Las Vegas -- Where to stop??

My fiance and I will be traveling to Las Vegas, NV at the beginning of June. We will be getting married in Las Vegas and having a short honeymoon there as well. We thought about flying, but it's so expensive, and so we figured we might as well drive and maybe see some beautiful scenery on the way there.

Has anyone taken this trip before? What is the best route to take?

We would like to make the trip around three days, spending two nights and getting there on the third day. Where would be good towns to stop for the night? Also, are there any places where gas stations/rest stops are sparse?

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
6,693 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: St Louis to Las Vegas -- Where to stop??

With only three days your first going to be wedded to the Interstate system ... I-44 to the OK City area for night one... Gallup or Winslow night two ... Last day drive the "old rt 66" from Seligman to Kingman...turning there for the 93 into Las Vegas ... Blessings... carracar

Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: St Louis to Las Vegas -- Where to stop??

Hi,

Congrats on the wedding!

You may want to recalculate the costs of driving... Straight shot from St. Louis to Las Vegas is right at 1,600 miles each way. Throw in an extra 300 miles for detours to sites on the round trip and that puts you at 3,500 miles.

If your car gets 25 mpg and gas is $3.25 per gallon that's $455 in gas alone. If you averaged $100 per night in motels for the two nights there and two nights back, that's another $400. Throw in meals along the way and you're up to $900 to drive the round trip. If your car gets better than 25 mpg, you'll spend less. If less than 25 mpg, you'll spend more.

On Kayak.com, I'm seeing flights from STL to LAS in June for as little as $291 to $338 per person, or, in essence, $600 - $675 for the two of you to fly. Throw in another $50 for checked bag fees and you're still less than driving.

That said, carracar's route is a good one. You may want to consider coming back through Utah and Colorado--Zion, Bryce, Arches, Canyonlands, Rocky Mountain National Park, if you have the time.

As far as gas stations and rest areas becoming more sparse, as long as you're on your near the Interstates, you should be fine. Although it's always wise to keep an eye on your gas level when traveling out west.

Also, bring along some water in your as it can get quite hot in June in Arizona and Nevada. (I was in Vegas in May a couple of years ago, and it was 114°F.) I'd say a gallon per person just in case you have a breakdown and get stranded in the heat.

Enjoy your trip.

Zed

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: St Louis to Las Vegas -- Where to stop??

How much time do you have for the total of your trip?

Maybe between OKC and LV try Grants. Cheap lodging and no trainnoises.

4. Re: St Louis to Las Vegas -- Where to stop??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 January 2015, 05:17