We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Route 66 planning advice!

UK
2 posts
Save Topic
Route 66 planning advice!

Hi everyone! I am trying to plan an amazing Route 66 honeymoon and am looking for a place I can get either a fairly detailed map of America, or a route 66 one, as don't really want to have to purchase each state. Any suggestions or top tips greatly received also - anything from must sees to car hire recommendations! Thank you in advance! x

Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Route 66 planning advice!

Hi Zelda,

Welcome to the Road Trips Forum.

One thing you should do is use the TA search feature and search this forum for Route 66 info. You'll find tons of it here.

Here are links to a couple of sites that may help you kick off your planning:

http://www.historic66.com/

http://www.national66.org/

Zed

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,264 posts
237 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Route 66 planning advice!

also-- the visitor centers in each state will have loads of info for you about rt 66 including maps. No need to buy any.

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Route 66 planning advice!

You need the EZ Guide to Route 66 by McClanahan which maps the entire route. Check the tourist information websites for each state for information and maps. If you want a paper map, which I recommend, get a US atlas such as Rand McNally or request the tourist package from each state which will include a map. There are several good websites to use including historic66.com and exploringroute66.com Must sees depend upon your interests however I think a side trip to Grand Canyon should rank at the top of the list.

wales
Level Contributor
3 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Route 66 planning advice!

If you are looking for car hire and budget is not a big issue there is a company called Blacktop Candy, they rent vintage cars such as a 1955 Belair or a 1967 Camaro SS and many others. Just thought I throw it your way as this is what we are considering.

glider10

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
19,702 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Route 66 planning advice!

Hi glider10 - Welcome to the road trips forum. Clearly you are a new poster, but please may I point out to you that you have added a comment to two relatively old posts, so it's very possible the OP has already made car rental arrangements. For your own needs, may I also take the opportunity of pointing out to you that the website you refer to is based in the USA. Anybody renting cars from that source would also need to add lots of car insurance on top. This extra and very necessary insurance, when added to a high rental cost, would make using that source very expensive to all overseas renters. If you have any questions or need advice for your own trip plan, please start a new topic on this forum, I'm sure you will get lots of help.

SWT

wales
Level Contributor
3 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Route 66 planning advice!

Hello SWT

Thank you for the info, you are correct the overall cost of the car rental is £2300 for 2 weeks. I am not going till 2016 but I am already researching. When the date gets closer I will post for help, and all help would be gratfully received. Take care and happy travelling.

glider10

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
19,702 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Route 66 planning advice!

£2300?! Geez! We're paying less than £700 for just under 6 weeks car rental for September/October this year, insurance, second driver, taxes and a tank of gas included! It will, of course, be some boring current car, but heck, they all still have only 4 wheels and a steering wheel, etc!

SWT

Edited: 27 April 2014, 16:21
8. Re: Route 66 planning advice!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 April 2015, 05:15