We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

USA Roadtrip 2014 ????

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
47 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
USA Roadtrip 2014 ????

Hi Guys

Four of us 60y/olds from the UK are doing a roadtrip in June 2014 . We aim to take in Tennesee, Georgia,louisianna across to South Carolina ETC ETC . We fly in and out of Atlanta.

My question is ,,, would it be better (cost ) to book with a UK carhire company or to book with a company in the states.

We need a large luxury SUV for 3 weeks , 3 drivers, and will be going to maybe 5 or 6 states in that time.

Any advice please.

Henderson, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,372 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: USA Roadtrip 2014 ????

This is a place when the forum is you best friend... You will find that there are UK citizen, US rental programs, invisible to those of us here... but you have Tet and the like with experience from you point of view...

You probably want to look at both a US rental and a US rental via a UK program... and choose the option best for you...

Welcome to our side of the pond...

Randy

Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: USA Roadtrip 2014 ????

Hi,

Welcome to the Road Trips Forum.

It's generally best that UK visitors rent from a third party consolidator outside the US, as they'll provide all the necessary insurance and waive or reduce the one-way drop off fee if you're starting in one place and ending in another.

Please take a look at the link about car rental in the US at the top right of this page for more information.

Your itinerary is a bit vague, and 3 weeks may be a bit tight depending on where you plan to go. Off the top of my head, something like this might work:

2 nights Atlanta

2 nights Great Smoky Mountains National Park

3 nights Nashville

2 nights Memphis

1 night Vicksburg

3 nights New Orleans

1 night Destin/Florida Panhandle

1 night Saint Augustine

3 nights Savannah

3 nights Charleston

That's 21 nights to hit the highlights of the Deep South / Southeast.

Zed

Antipolo City...
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: USA Roadtrip 2014 ????

hi my family will be in Orlando, Florida this may 2014. I just want to know if there is a transportation from florida to san francisco usa aside from a plane. if there is how long is the travel time? tnx

Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: USA Roadtrip 2014 ????

Hi Richdalek2

It's best if you start your own topic by clicking on the orange "Ask a question" button below. When you piggyback on someone else's topic the answers can be quite confusing.

Zed

Antipolo City...
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: USA Roadtrip 2014 ????

sorry

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: USA Roadtrip 2014 ????

You may not want three nights in Nashville, Savannah and Charleston. Check out Chattanooga (use the search engine above), perhaps the Kentucky Bourbon Trail, Mammoth Cave NP, the Corvette National Museum, not much of a detour.

See post 22 in the road trip report thread at the top of the forum. Read other relevant trip reports and read through relevant threads in this forum for many months.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i12567-k6822250…

Perhaps also check out Pensacola.

http://www.navalaviationmuseum.org/

Good planning!

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
18,855 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: USA Roadtrip 2014 ????

Hi plonkerpow

As a Brit who frequently road trips in different parts of the USA, my advice would be to always book your car rental in advance from the UK and always look at the third party companies mentioned in the topic that zed has already pointed you towards. Then, if you have some queries, don't hesitate to revert here with them. Shop around and get several quotes, the SUV you'll need for 4 adults over that length of time should be offered, if the car sizes don't make sense, then do ask us what you find. Don't use the USA based .com websites as they don't include any insurances, and don't cover you for your UK DLs. Make sure the insurances you will need are included, but they should be with the recommended websites.

Regarding the trip, I think zed's offered a good outline which can be tweeked and altered to suit your tastes, depending on what you wish to see. The biggest change I'd make would depend on whether you'd wish to shop and US prices before flying home. In which case, I'd put the Atlanta nights at the end rather than have your precious acquistions lying around the car as your travel. Also, Atlanta is one of the few big cities, not the best introduction on just arriving in the USA, and from the airport, actually in the wrong direction. Depending on when your flight lands, you might want a hotel near the airport and get and early start the next morning, or if you are willing to drive a bit the first night, may I suggest somewhere like Macon for ease of navigation, and it's a nice small place anyway.

I notice the plan includes nowhere north of Atlanta, and almost nowhere in the Carolinas. If you add there, instead or in addition (which means spending less time elsewhere, of course) consider the Blue Ridge parkway (but it's slow going) and the town of Asheville.

Do be aware that the whole area you will visit, even in June, is likely to be very hot and humid.

Have a great trip,

SWT

Edited: 16 January 2014, 17:53
Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: USA Roadtrip 2014 ????

You don't need a luxury SUV unless you want to drive an expensive Escalada or the like. A standard size or full size suv will be big enough if you rent a car in the SFAR , FRAR or FFAR category.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
47 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: USA Roadtrip 2014 ????

hi guys

longtime since last question . However i think we have now all agreed on the following

Atlanta

Augusta

Charleston

Savannah

St George Island

Destin

New Orleans

Vicksburg

Clarksdale

Memphis

Nashville

Chattanooga

Atlanta

Any info on any must see places along the route are most welcome.

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: USA Roadtrip 2014 ????

Check out Pensacola for the unique National Naval Aviation Museum.