We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Page or Flagstaff to Durango Co'

Melbourne, Australia
7 posts
Save Topic
Page or Flagstaff to Durango Co'

Hi, my family and are are planning a five week holiday to the US in September. First leg is

Los Angeles 2 nights

Las Vegas 3 nights

Grand canyon or Williams 2 nights

Page 2 nights

Flagstaff 1 night

Durango Co 2 nights

We have two kids 4 and 6. We are going to rent a car. My concern is the drive to Durango through the dessert for five hours. Is it a safe drive with any decent stops. Is there slot of tourists travelling this road or would it be better to via Gallup.

Any advice would be great

Thanks Bec

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
7,807 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Page or Flagstaff to Durango Co'

If your not going to stay in or near the Park ... overnight in Flagstaff, rather than Williams(It's not that much further) Then one can go direct, to Durango from Page ... Drive the 98/160 all good 2 lane road ... You might want to divert up to Monument Valley Then into Utah, driving the 162/41 to the 160 in Colorado ... Where to after Durango ? carracar

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
725 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Page or Flagstaff to Durango Co'

I ve been to that area 8 times or so.and planning to do a similar trip at the end of March.

September should be pretty warm there.but if your from Australia and used to country drives you'll be fine.

You must see monument valley on the way,you can even stay there or kayenta.

Melbourne, Australia
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Page or Flagstaff to Durango Co'

Ok thanks, would it still be a five hour drive to Durango if we diverted by Monument Valley from Page? I was just worried if you broke down with no phone in such a remote place.

The next part of the trip is

Salt Lake City 2 nights

Yellowstone 4 nights

Helena 2 nights

Glacier 3 nights

then fly back to San Fran

Does this sound ok?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
725 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Page or Flagstaff to Durango Co'

You would loose a few hours to monument valley.so it make it a big day.there is a lodge or motel there I believe .

Tacoma, Washington
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
9,593 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Page or Flagstaff to Durango Co'

First part......

Use flagstaff as a base, then on your last day at the grand canyon drive up to Page for the night.

do 1 day in Page--drive to Kayenta for the night (about 2 hours)

do 1 day in monument valley then drive to cortez/durango. cortez is about 2 hrs, Durango about another hour. If you are doing Mesa Verde stay in cortez.

As for the next part of the trip

The next part of the trip is

Salt Lake City 2 nights

Yellowstone 4 nights

Helena 2 nights

Glacier 3 nights

then fly back to San Fran

Are you getting there by driving from Durango? If so you could just drive up from Durango up CO 550 to Grand Junction then up north either to Vernal up to rock springs then up to Jackson, WY. Durango to Jackson is about 11 hrs. thus a 2 day drive. Do Durango to vernal then Vernal to Jackson.

then do a day or 2 at Grand Teton.

then up to Yellowstone for 2 full days days.

then on day 3 do Am/early PM in yellowstone then drive up great falls/Helena.

From there drive to the east side of glacier for 2 nights, then do a 3rd night in Kalispell/columbia Falls.

drive from Yellowston to Glacier is about 6 hrs.

Why 2 nights in Helena ????

Melbourne, Australia
7 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Page or Flagstaff to Durango Co'

Thank you for these replies. Yes we are driving. We thought Helena as a rest stop. Just looking at the map for larger cities to enter into Yellowstone. Do most travellers enter Yellowstone via Vernal - Jackson?

I'm haven't looked at these places so will review this.

I also read the road from Durango to grand junction was quite dangerous ie. cliffs ?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
725 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Page or Flagstaff to Durango Co'

Durango to grand junction (us550) I believe is the go,I haven't done it.

Most of of the Americans will be just waking up,they will tell you

Melbourne, Australia
7 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Page or Flagstaff to Durango Co'

Ok thanks

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Page or Flagstaff to Durango Co'

From Durango to Ouray you'll drive 550 aka million dollar hw. You'll go over 10.000+' passes and steep and winding stretches but millions have survived. From Ouray to Grand Junction is an easy drive and you'll find the little gem Colorado NM on the way. Plus with a short detour from Montrose is Black Canyon of the Gunnison NP. Then north to Vernal you'll be driving Douglas Pass rd (139) that has some steep stretches but nothing to worry about. Near Vernal you'll find Dinosaur Quarry. From Vernal you'll get to Grand Teton NP first. North of vernal you'll be driving through scenic Flaming Gorge.

Now for your first leg. Always try to stay inside Grand Canyon NP www.grandcanyonlodges.com Flagstaff is a detour and still 90 minutes from GC. So LA-LV-GC-Page

Monument Valley is best at sunset and sunrise so I suggest to stay overnight either at The View or Goulding's Lodge. Stargazing is brilliant. If you don't want to stay MV just see it with a detour (1 hours detour plus the time for the views). On the way to Cortez is 4Corners monument where you can put hand and feet in 4 states. it's a tourist trap but most kids like it. Entrance is $ 3,-- pppd. Btw, Monument Valley is $ 5,-- pppd.

Also you will lose one hour for timedifference between Page and Utah/Co

Mesa Verde NP is a place that should not be missed but it will take extra time and it's a big park. If you want to do guided tours to Cliff Palace and Balcony house you already can make reservations at the Cortez visitor center. You can hike down to Spruce Tree house by yourselves and for free.

2 nights Durango will give you the chance to do Durango-Silverton rr. Suggest to go to Silverton by train and back by bus.

On the way to Yellowstone you also can go to Moab for Canyonlands and Arches and many more places and from Moab to Salt Lake City or Park City before heading to Grand Teton NP and Yell. Would not want to stay 2 nights in Helena.

Tet

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,850 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Page or Flagstaff to Durango Co'

roads on your route are well traveled. I shouldn't worry. Follow Tet's advice above.

550 is a beautiful drive!