We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

International driver's licence

Brisbane, Australia
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
International driver's licence

We are travelling to Alberta, Canada next month and will be hiring a car. Do we need an international driver's licence or is our Australian licence recognised?

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
20,963 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: International driver's licence

Hi Robyn

An interesting question you have asked, unexpectedly!

My instinct, having not heard any Aussies reporting an issue before now, would have simply been to say, yes, your Aussie one would be fine, especially if it has a photo.

However, a little bit of googling seems to have found some contradictory info:

…embassy.gov.au/otwa/drivinglicences.html

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g153339-i49-k624…

The bottom line would seem to be that no Aussies are reporting problems, but it seem to be a weird, grey area, surprisingly.

Maybe somebody else will come up with unambiguous and up to date chapter and verse!

SWT

Edited: 21 January 2014, 13:30
London, United...
Level Contributor
2,074 posts
717 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: International driver's licence

Alberta is one of states that allow drivers with OZ license to drive, however, it could be safer to have International Driving Permit if you plant to drive outside of states recognising OZ license.

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
14,526 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: International driver's licence

Hi

Alberta being in Canada is in a Province not a state (-:

link to your answer about IDP on the Banff forum tripadvisor.ca/…48038546

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,074 posts
717 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: International driver's licence

True, it should be read province.

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
17,110 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: International driver's licence

G'day Robyn,

As I said on the thread linked by cbaarch, an IDP is not required. It is only a translation of your own English language licence anyway for use in countries where English is not the official language. They speak English in Alberta, although my daughter living in Calgary has got a horrible accent. :)

Edited: 22 January 2014, 00:52
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
36 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: International driver's licence

We were confused about this before our last trip to the states and Canada, so to be safe, we got one. We rented cars in three different states in the US, and also 2 provinces in Canada, and were not asked at all. A lot of travel brochures and guides seem to think it's mandatory to have one but clearly not.

USA
Level Contributor
7,036 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: International driver's licence

Check the car rental contract. I have seen contracts (not in Canada) that require an International Driver's Permit for foreign licenses. You do not want some jobsworth denying you a rental car.

8. Re: International driver's licence

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 January 2015, 05:18