We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Two girls on a road trip in the States

Kristiansand, Norway
1 post
Save Topic
Two girls on a road trip in the States

Hi!

We are two girls in our twenties from Norway who are going on a three week roadtrip from LA - to wherever. We are going to rent a car, so we can travel where and when we want. We have been in the States before, but this time we are on our own. We are wondering about if there are any good/fun/interesting places we should stop by and if there are any must-see sights to see!

We love to have fun, so if there are any good party places (nightclubs/bars) we should check, just let us know!

We will be traveling at the end of April.

We would love to know any tips or advice on driving distances in the USA as well!

Xoxo J & P

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
17 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Two girls on a road trip in the States

I'm just now researching a girls trip for myself and my two daughters for their Birthdays. Ages 22 and soon to be 30. They are very excited. I will tell you I've been to LAX several times, and it's just another big city. Unless you want to audition for a game show or drive rodeo drive and do the STARS tours which is somewhat cheesy but fun, then GET OUT OF THE CITY! I'm planning to drive the Pacific Coast Hwy, and with two girls your age, i've heard there are some really fun places, beaches, bars and other interesting landmarks along the way. So much beauty here.... you should check it out!! The forums on this website are awesome. I've been researching for months, and we will fly into LAX rent a car ... take 5days to travel Hwy 1, headed North to SFO where we will drop car and fly out. It's usually more expensive that way "Open Jaw" tkt and to drop car, but we only have 5days, you may want to fly in and out of same city, and just take a different route back. I would highly recommend YOSEMITE National Park and spend the night if you can. It's breathtaking if you like mountains and hiking, wildlife and the outdoors. the Ocean on this part of the US is like no other, so definitely do this if you love driving and stopiing at beaches, pictures. You end up in the mountains with redwood trees to be seen, farm land, I'm seeing photos and just can't wait. SFO is a much more pleasing city to me with the Golden GATE bridge, street cars, and fun things to do. I've been to both cities but never traveled in between. And YOSEMITE a couple of years ago but definilty plan to return. have fun

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
58,688 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Two girls on a road trip in the States

Hi Josefine O

Okay. You land at LAX (the airport) and then visit the city L.A. Tons to do & see in L.A. You might want to drive up Hwy 1 to the city of San Francisco (SF) and can drop the car there, if you're done with your tourism. You do not need to go to the airport SFO to drop it. But you might want to keep the car (find lodging with free parking) and to continue your tourism. Of course I love Yosemite NP.

>>good/fun/interesting places<<

>>must-see sights<<

There are thousands of places that meet these criteria. Without knowing your interests, it's not possible to tell you that driving all the way to Tucson to the Arizona Sonora Desert Museum would be a perfect thing to do, but if you're fascinated by the desert and by reptiles, then maybe a visit to the ASDM is a "must do." Or maybe you're interested in wrought iron sculptures. Or you want to go on some ten mile hikes. Or you want to photograph golf courses. Or you want to play golf.

Give us some more clues about your travel style.

Or maybe start with the Top Questions on the right side of the page. The Top Questions on the California state page also has some great & relevant info, especially since you're starting in L.A.

Driving distances can be estimated with Google Maps, but no stops or tourism are included in the drive times.

Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Two girls on a road trip in the States

Hi,

One other thing to possibly budget for in your expenses... If you're under 25 years old, be prepared to pay a young driver surcharge of $20 to $40 per day on your car rental.

Zed

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Two girls on a road trip in the States

Already rent the car from Norway with a European broker and have all insurances included. Maybe try www.drive-usa.com No drop off charges between the states of Califonia, Nevada and Arizona and renting in Ca a second driver always is free.

Your post is too vague to give good advice.

New York
Level Contributor
866 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Two girls on a road trip in the States

How much driving do you want to do? In that amount of time you can cover some serious ground or just kind of hang local and see some cities and parks in the far west coast like SF, Seattle, Las Vegas, Albuquerque, Santa Fe, San Diego etc. Some good National parks too like Zion, Bryce, Canyonlands, Arches, Death Valley, Yosemite, Yellowstone, Tetons etc.

All depends on how much driving you want to do and what else you are into besides the beaches/bars.

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
20,062 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Two girls on a road trip in the States

Hi

Just to add, for the car rental, I've not been able to get prices in NOK on the website Tet has linked to above, but can do so with both rentalcars.com and usrentacar.co.uk, if you adjust the currency box.

Yes, we need more info to give you better advice and make suggestions.

SWT

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
533 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Two girls on a road trip in the States

Hey their kristensand

A must do for couple young ladies is six flags roller coaster park,the roller coaster capital of the world.

It's about a hour north of lax on interstate 5 , at Valencia .

Coming from Norway you will probably want to see desert and Las Vegas .lots of night clubs and cheap rooms.

There's a big roller at prim on interstate 15 about half hour from Las Vegas ,one of the longest in the would,only runs weekends.

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Two girls on a road trip in the States

LA for 3-4 days - visit the beach towns, Disneyland, Hollywood, museums, etc. while getting over jet lag. Santa Monica and Manhattan Beach are good beach towns with a lot going on. It can be chilly in April but you are likely to have good beach weather and waves for surfing.

Pacific Coast Highway coastal drive 2-3 days through Malibu Beach, Santa Barbara, Big Sur, Monterey - see Hearst Castle, Carmel, Monterey Aquarium

Yosemite National Park 2 days

San Francisco 3-4 days

Napa and Sonoma 2 days for wineries, food

That leaves a few days. You could fit in South Lake Tahoe and Las Vegas then return to LA.

Post on the California, LA and SF forums for local advice on nightlife and route advice for your trip. Use Google Maps or Viamichelin.com to get distances and estimated drive times, the latter usually being optimistic.

Edited: 26 January 2014, 19:46
LA
Level Contributor
9,918 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Two girls on a road trip in the States

I would get ahold of a guidebook. Lonely Planet makes one geared towards foreign tourists that gives some recommended itineraries which can be very helpful to begin planning.

Also has far more information than several random posters on a posting board can provide.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Two girls on a road trip in the States

Are you serious Pareo? Forums will tell you places guide books even have never heard of.